Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

biznatchio posted:

This is my standard Sylvanas build; but against passive healers like Brightwing and Lucio it's probably better to build Q instead. (Or just use this build anyway then get all smug about topping the charts on the scoreboard and blame your team for everything at the end of the game.)

What you linked is basically her best overall build except for the level 13 talent. You should give Windrunner a try because it blows every other talent on that tier out of the water both offensively and defensively, and it synergises better with the rest of her kit than life drain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Musluk posted:

Fend was garbage before the buffs, not sure how it is right now.

Ring of Leech is pretty much the only required talent tbh.

Plate of the Whale is on par with or even better than Ring given certain enemy team compositions where you can get quest stacks easily. It plays to her strengths much better and therefore does great against the types of teams you want to be facing with Cassia (AA, multi-hitting AA, slows rather than stuns).

Ring is better in her worst situations (few or no auto attackers, lots of stuns/roots) but you shouldn't run into these outside of QM.

I guess you might also consider getting Ring if another person with blinds, like Artanis or Johanna, is on your team.

m.hache posted:

So as a brand new player, are there "builds" that are the best for certain characters? or can you just build them situationally without completely gimping yourself.

I've been playing around with Support characters so far and I just want to make sure I'm not picking stupid talents.

Icy-veins is a good starting point but if you can stand the ads I would use it in tangent with Hotslogs to experiment with different choices during a match. There are a lot of factors that can go into talent choices and your own playstyle can be a huge one. Using Hotslog winrates to find other viable talents within a tier and questioning your standard talent choices can be a useful exercise if your looking to improve your game.

BattleHamster fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 26, 2017

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Gul'Steve is the most fun I've had in this game, full stop. No other champion is even close. A shame he only has one ultimate, but it's actually a pretty good one. I don't know if the build I run is even "good" but man is it fun.

Is the quest that makes Corruption bounce back 3 additional times the best level 1 talent? I always run that, improved Life Tap, healthstone, that one that makes Fel Flame lower corruption cooldown, and the bonus damage for each hit corruption lands, and the Horrify talent that makes it reduce armor.

That's usually considered his best build although he's got a surprising amount of wiggle room when it comes to talent choices.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

I've been wishing for a pit lord champion (Mannoroth) with AoE basic attacks for a long time. Dva looks pretty cool though so I think I can settle for her.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Classic Leoric skin with a big rear end sword and no lower body armor

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Fumaofthelake posted:

Are there any good up to date resources that speak to team comp?

I have a decent familiarity with 10% of the roster... Anything beyond that I have no real idea how to counterpick or really even pick my own character. If I got dropped into a team of four and I had to pick last, I'd have no idea what to do. I've been doing QM trying to get a better idea of how some more heroes work but a lot of QM play seems really suboptimal so I don't know if I'm just learning bad habits or what.

The standard team composition in ranked right now is either double tank or double support, two damage dealers, and a solo of whatever you didn't double up on. This is a generalization of course, but as long as you can fill in for the role you're missing as the last pick you'll probably be fine. It's almost always more advantageous to have people pick based on what they are familiar with and enjoy playing than it is to have them pick based on what would perform better in a theoretical vacuum.

Counterpicking, and perhaps more importantly not picking into a bad matchup, is something that comes with experience and knowledge of hero skills and strengths. Obvious stuff like not picking Anub into a team with little/no spell damage or Butcher into Cassia you can learn just by looking at talents and base stats. However, knowing how well you might perform against a specific team composition is harder to assess and is best learned though playing the game. QM is fine for doing this as long as you are able to recognize and be honest about your mistakes and provide an answer for what you could have done better in any situation, good or bad.

BattleHamster fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 23, 2017

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

signalnoise posted:

What kind of character is the best for getting yourself up in HL when every group you're in doesn't communicate and makes terrible teamfight engages and you can only rely on yourself

Gul'dan. He can do everything by himself while also making GBS threads out massive amounts of damage from far enough away that survival becomes more dependent on your own decisions than those of your teammates.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

EdRush posted:

We like to dump on the matchmaking but this is something that should never never happen even in quick match. Sonya/DVa/Zarya vs no tanks and Abathur. Honestly the worst mismatch on paper I think I've ever seen.

I had something similar but opposite happen to me recently

How does the matchmaker look at that 4 man group and decide that what it needs is another tank :psyduck:

I played plenty of LoL and would really prefer Blind Pick at this point. QM matchmaking the worst it's been in 2 years and if they keep making heroes that don't fit neatly into their archetypes this problem is only going to get worse.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Power Bottom posted:

Machine Gun Moonfire Malfurion puts out a concerning amount of damage, by the way.

I think I would be okay with all the healing nerfs if his offensive capabilities were increased but I don't think that's the case.

I have no idea what they were thinking when they moved Full Moonfire to level 4 since having to choose between that, Elune's Grace, and the new Vengeful Roots is pretty painful when you know there's nothing for you at level 13. Then at level 16 Revitalize seems like the only option and its way worse than Hardened Focus.

I haven't actually tried him out on the PTR but I'm hoping they eventually add in some better talents on those tiers.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Power Bottom posted:

Ice Block and Shrink Ray are still at 13, and they're still amazing for the same reasons that they usually are.

The new Vengeful Roots is less impressive than it sounds - the Treant's damage can get pretty up there if you can land roots reliably, but it's still just a Treant. In my experience, it usually dies before doing anything too useful. Now, if it gained health and damage, then maybe we'd be getting somewhere.

Anyways, Full Moonfire vs Elune's Grace is really just a question of going full damage focus vs a general strength increase. In my opinion, Elune's Grace is the much stronger talent because it just does more, pound per pound. Full Moonfire's radius increase is neat and the reduced mana cost will make your spamming life easier, but the increased range on everything is just so useful.

This is cool and all but my point was that they nerfed his healing capabilities while also giving him less offensive talent options.

Going offensive style malf on the PTR is straight up worse than going offensive style malf on live (except for a small boost in dmg during the midgame) because they grouped practically all the offensive talents into the lvl 4 and 7 tiers without adding anything new.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Actually, having reconsidered the whole blind QM problem, they should just let you pick one or two maps to avoid like in SC2. Have it use the party leader's preferences in groups.

It would make queues take a bit longer probably, but it's a hell of a lot better than the current state of things for anyone who plays niche characters.

If they do implement something like this I would much prefer a system like CS:GO where you can opt-in to or out of every map. This gives everyone a higher degree of choice, and individual map queue estimates would allow people to more easily weigh their map preferences against their wait times.

This would only be for QM of course, although I would like to see a map ban system in draft.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

I didn't get an email yet so obviously that means I'll get something in a couple of days saying I won the computer, right?

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Libertine posted:

I don't see what the point of PTR is this or almost any other game. I've never seen a game where the PTR player base actually had a significant population. Bug testing is almost always better done in-house. Releasing a new character in a multiplayer game you can't really tune it for balance until you let the entire population of the game play it live and you have that enormous sample of data to see what works and what doesn't.

I can't imagine there are people who actually exist who join the PTR and then do quality bug testing and code feedback for Blizzard out of their own free time, but if there are they just should get hired.

Think about all the other things they have to test that aren't directly related to gameplay. PTR is a great way to test things like general server infrastructure and making sure the game patches correctly once its deployed to live. Even with a small player base, any evidence to help support that the game is working correctly under a variety of skews, settings, and locations is immensely valuable.

Also, a small player base isn't necessarily worse since it can reveal bugs or issues that will only happen under those circumstances.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Midnightghoul posted:

I'm glad I'll be seeing even worse Butcher play

Even if your like me and love the hero, no one should be playing butcher in QM until the Garrosh hype cools down unless they want to go against a hard counter in every game.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Genji makes the game less fun for everyone. If he's on your team he's probably decreasing the likelihood that you will win, if he's on the enemy team he's an rear end in a top hat who ruins your escapes and makes his own escapes with a sliver of health after inflicting some of the more annoying poke damage in the game.

Banning him is a win-win

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

KT looks cool to me. He seems to be based around chaining abilities together and very precise skill shot usage. chain ability looks especially interesting and I like that he has a really big character model. Only thing I don't like is that godawful secondary skin they gave him and I guess his ults look kind of boring but the descriptions don't really tell the whole story

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

YolkaEd posted:

The Leoric rework looks insane. Baseline cleave+100% bonus damage every third basic attack (matching up his animations), March of the Black King buffed, his Entomb 20 talent silences heroes caught in it, and he has a talent called Kneel, Peasants! I cannot wait for this to go live (and inevitably be nerfed because of excessive whining).

I dunno, looks pretty bad to me. Granted we have pretty limited details right now but look at some of this poo poo:

-14 sec CD on swing is a huge nerf to his wave clear and very punishing if you happen to miss a hero
- Moving similar talents on to the same tier really fucks with his ability to specialize (which is one of the reasons why I think he's a cool champion)
- A lot of the talents are the same but have reduced numbers as well as no longer being able to synergize with some other talents that would make them stronger
- The silence on entomb is cool but getting it so late in the game really hurts its usefulness. I have doubts it will even change up Leoric's gameplan all that much adding 1 or 2 more targets to the list of people you want to entomb since you'll still probably be going after the same target or using it in the same situations.
- Ominous Wraith is so good it seems like a joke, especially with royal focus synergy. I could see those 2 talents dominating their respective talent tiers and having to spend a bunch of my time ghosting around teamfights as a weird pseudo-support tank (not really something I want to be doing as Leoric)
- Keeping track of auto attacks can be an unfun chore

It could also be I'm just mad that they screwed with or removed all my normal talents (and I didn't even go with the drain hope entomb build 95% of the time).

BattleHamster fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 22, 2017

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

This is cool, i wonder what the rest of the match is like...

https://clips.twitch.tv/DifficultBreakableTarsierYouWHY

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Played a few games with new Leoric and I'm still not sure what to make of the changes. I think he feels good right now because his numbers are way too high and I wouldn't be surprised if he rocketed up ban priority list and eventually ate a nerf.

In terms of the actual mechanical changes that were made, a lot of it seems like fluff that only serves to make decisions like "who do I target with drain hope?" or "When do I harass champions/kill minions while laning?" or "where should I aim this Skeletal Swing?" a little easier. Mithril Mace is cool if only because more attack speed = more fun, but Blizzard said that their main goal was to "add some depth into his wave clear routine" and I'm really not seeing anything more besides attempting to group minions to get maximum coverage and angles on cleave.

Toshimo posted:

Who has the hardest skillshot to land ingame?

Stitches hook if only for the fact that you're mostly using it from max range and have to thread it through minions/walls/champions to get the target you want.

BattleHamster fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 6, 2017

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

appropriatemetaphor posted:

What're your impressions on his build options? Like aa vs wraithwalk or whatever.

Here's my current breakdown of the talents:

Level 1 - Mostly preference. Generally I think you should go Fealty if you're solo/duo laning and Consume Vitality if you're in a in a lane with three or more. Consume Vitality is obviously going to be stronger teamfights so you'll want to keep that in mind. Ossein Renewal is good medium between Fealty and Consume Vitality but I would only think about taking it on maps with lots of regen globes.

Level 4 - If you went Consume Vitality at level 1 then Ghastly Reach is an option here. Otherwise I would always go Paralyzing Rage since Leroic is so starved in terms of CC and I believe much of the benefit that Ghastly Reach provides can be made up for by good positioning and timing. Icy Veins seems to like Kneel Peasants but i think its pretty worthless since the cleave on your auto attacks and 14 second cooldown means you should almost never want to use Skeletal Swing on minions or mercs unless there's an enemy hero standing right next to them.

Level 7 - Preference. I think all of the choices in this tier have merit. Willing Vessel is the obvious choice if you're the only tank or just taking a ton of damage (although 5% extra healing with the possibility of 10% is sort of underwhelming). Drain Momentum is my least favorite skill here but I think some people will really like it depending on playstyle. Hopelessness affords you more positioning freedom during fights and stops tanks like Muradin, Chen, Artanis, or ETC (as well as some assassins) from easily exiting your Drain Hope radius.

Level 10 - Preference or team composition based. I'm one of those weirdos who loved March even before the rework so with new March being stupidly good I don't see a whole lot of reason to go Entomb unless I have a team comp specifically tailored for it.

Level 13 - Not much reason in my mind to pick anything but Ominous Wraith here. This one talent gives an upgrade on par with heroic abilities to an already great utility skill. The fact that you have to pass through enemies with a super speedy unstoppable ghost is pretty inconsequential. If you have to go something else for whatever reason, Hardened Bones is probably a better option than Unyielding Despair. 4 seconds of conditional cooldown reduction on an 11 second skill is not very good when compared to 20% damage reduction for up to 7 seconds.

Level 16 - Royal Focus has great synergy with Ominous Wraith so you're probably just going to want to go with that unless they have a super tanky team or you're constantly having to fight off split pushers.

Level 20 - Still haven't played around with all of these yet, but Death March has become my favorite here over the new nerfed Spectral Leech unless I took Mithril Mace at 16.

Seebach posted:

His build options have some good choices, its just dwarfed by talents he used to have that helped mitigate damage and wasn't as reliant on hitting bad touch or keeping people in it.

armor shreds also really destroy him too easily.

It looked like a good rework on paper, but it just doesn't work without a dedicated healer

I'm kind of surprised you feel like this. Leoric's health regen post rework definitely seems different but I went and looked at self-healing numbers before and after and I'm still getting on average around 40k per 15-20 min match.

Loss of the Reanimation talent does suck though for helping keep you topped up in between fights, same with consume vitality not working on minions (although this wasn't a very popular talent).

BattleHamster fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 8, 2017

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Blinds are also a much more common CC than silences which makes countering IAS easier

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

I really wish there was a ping to point out stealthed heroes. I usually end up using the retreat or assist ping which can often convey the wrong message.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

I hate all the Overwatch heroes but surprisingly Junkrat isn't as annoying to play against as I thought he would be.

Gonna reserve judgement though because its likely that right now people are at a low point in the skill curve.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Yukari posted:

Wasn't block already useless against certain other heroes before Tracer existed? (ie Tassadar can strip them and so can Tychus?)

Tass used to have a normal auto attack and the beam was a talent you could choose (his remake didn't come until after tracer had long been released). Tychus has always had high attack speed but the fact that he has to stay still and only has half the attack speed of tracer makes a big difference.

Edit: there were always heroes against which block was useless (i.e. Kael), its just that many of the overwatch heroes nullify the usefulness of the talent so completely that they can dictate whether or not you should take it even when there are people on the enemy team it would be useful against.

BattleHamster fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 26, 2017

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

bamhand posted:

Johanna is basically a paladin by another name. She even has hammers. I think Blizzard would be unlikely to make a second hero that uses similar skills even if it's as a separate role. Besides hammers paladins really don't have any flashy or iconic skills so it might be tough to flesh out a character. They would what ... have passive auras and hit things quickly?

I think he might work well as a stance type character that has no ultimate ability (similar to Udyr from LoL).

Give him 3 different auras that correspond to different 3 R skills which are usable only when he has a specific aura active. So maybe Vigor/Fanaticism + Charge, Defiance + Smite, and Holy Fire (talented Freeze/Shock) + Holy bolt. Most of those skills would be rather unique in HotS and you could avoid double hammer overlap with Johanna.

At level 10 you could choose which combo to improve. Smite would gain multiple hits (Zeal), Defiance would give you Holy Shield (substantial defensive buffs), and Holy bolt could be changed to FotH. At level 20 you could choose to improve another combo or get some powerful active skill.

I guess generally he'd be a bruiser that would have to weigh decisions between buffing the party, giving himself access to specific abilities, protecting himself, or doing more damage to the enemies.

(Sorry for posting my amateur character designs here but I had too much fun thinking about this)

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Only 90s kids will remember this major villain from one of the best selling expansion packs of all time so instead Blizzard decides to add memorable Diablo 3 character Auriel to HotS even though she is only ever seen one time in a story mode no one plays anymore.

Please look forward to Imperius and Deckard Cain in 2018. One is an angel whose only role is to look cool in CGI cutscenes (gold wings!) and the other is an old man with no combat ability who is killed halfway through Act 1 of Diablo 3 by a lovely midboss (but think of the announcer pack sales!).

No, I'm not annoyed by blizzard's character choices for HotS. Why do you ask?

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

There should be an option to turn that on for every hero

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

Wow, never really looked at his character model before. Looks like a damned Dark Souls boss.

Its concept art and his actual model doesn't look anywhere near as cool as that.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

This reflects my thinking, but weirdly at Diamond+Master Dreadful Wake has a 28% pick rate and a winrate 2% higher than Overflowing Quiver. So there are a bunch of people out there picking it and doing quite well with it which doesn't make sense to me because it seems to be the inferior choice.

All of Sylv's level 1 talents are underwhelming and have very little effect on the outcome of the game. Basically you need a much larger sample size to draw any meaningful conclusions, and even then it could just be something like people willing to venture outside of her normal build are more experienced and overall better with her.

Dreadful Wake can be useful in situations where you are forced to solo and there's a substantial ganking threat on the other team (genji/nova) who is camping you. You can stall the lane really hard from behind the gate or under towers.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Samara posted:

Did you guys see how much Leoric was taken in HGC?

Does anyone know of a place where I can see breakdowns of these games, more specifically the Leo talent picks?

I'm assuming lots of Kneel Peasants and Ominous Wraith picks.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

The idea of her countering Genji is laughable.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

bamhand posted:

So you're saying Lili, Johanna, Muradin are all countered by Illidan as well? Because if given an infinite amount of time he can chase them down and kill them?

Here are some heroes that have less health (after armor) than Maiev:
Dehaka - 2531
ETC - 2525
Sonya - 2434
Zarya - 2314

All of those heroes just run away screaming when they see Illidan right?

Your twisting Shadowlyger's argument to be about Illidan countering Maiev when the original point of contention was that Maiev's kit wrecks Illidan him so bad he'll never want to dive in on her.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Even ignoring the huge data advantage Hotslog has, it still beats the hell out of the alternatives when it comes to options for analyzing the data in useful and interesting ways.

Heroes Match Tracker is pretty good but its a desktop application and designed specifically for personal stat tracking.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Ort posted:

So are we out of leaked heroes to speculate about? Seems like nobody was too surprised about the last 6 months worth so it'd be fun if the next were all out of the blue.

People were talking about Belial being "leaked" as a future hero but I don't think there's any good source for it. It's also probably the stupidest hero choice I can think of the Diablo universe so hopefully it never happens.

Timeline-wise it's been close to a year since we last got a Diablo hero and more than 3 years since we last got a Blizzard Classic hero.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

beejay posted:

The whole "solo lane" thing is really loving with games in the lower tiers. People don't understand drafting for a solo lane or playing it, which leads to trouble if the other team does. The other day my team had an Artanis a Sonya and a Malthael and they wanted me to solo lane as Guldan. Needless to say we did not win.

Sonya would of been a better choice but Guldan is by no means a bad solo laner especially versus some of the more annoying non-bruisers like Nazeebo and Zagara.

Even in games where you have to play safe because of gank pressure he's extremely good at both stalling the lane and clearing it fast to punishing rotations.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Charles Bukowski posted:

I just started using hotslogs and I uploaded my replays and it told me I'm "Gold 5902 (MMR: 1832)" for Quickmatch. I don't play ranked so I was curious what the heck a QM ranking would mean compared to a hero/team league ranking?

It means you're in the somewhere between the 50th and 70th percentile for MMR for all players who have more than 10 Quick Match games uploaded to HOTSlog.

QM obviously has a different ruleset than ranked play so its just measure of your skill level in that gamemode.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

I agree that Planet Cracker looks way better. Channel time on Purification Salvo really sucks when it forces you to take an aggressive position to actually hit anyone. It's also pretty hard to beat the utility of a global, zero travel time ability.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

Do you remember the moment when you first experienced a Blizzard game? Can you remember the Hero or character you played that cemented your love for Blizzard? Join the Heroes of the Storm development to team to discuss the magic behind creating characters that leave a lasting impression and get a front row seat for the introduction of one of the most unlikely Heroes from Blizzard’s history to join the Nexus yet. Be the first to learn how the lore of Heroes of the Storm will add to the larger Blizzard universe.

Snake Sanders confirmed.

In all likelihood though this is going to be Deckard Cain given the recent splash screen leak.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Blizzard seems to have figured out that listing "CC" as a weakness is loving stupid and a clear sign that a hero is going to be broken so with Deckard Cain they instead chose to highlight that he is weak to "Silences" :downsgun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Reminder that this skill has a baseline 8 second cooldown, costs only 40 mana, and is also the fastest way to kill bosses/mercs in the game.

The only non-ultimate ability I know of that comes close to matching Scatter Shot's damage potential is Gul'Dan's Corruption which does damage over time, has a 14 second cooldown, costs 80 mana, and is on a hero with actual trade-offs like not getting any escape abilities until level 20.