Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Are there more Orochi hover cycle colors? That promo video showed more than 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Is Probius bad, or is it just me that's bad? Played some HotS for the first time in a while last night in anticipation of 2.0 and he seemed difficult to use and underwhelming.

He's very map dependent and your team has to play around you and you will have a lot of trouble doing stuff like securing kills so you have to hope your teammates aren't idiots. He's pretty good when used correctly on the right map and in the right team.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

How are Li-Ming and Sylvanas doing in the current game? They're my favorite heroes to queue with but it's hard to tell if I'm doing the right thing. For Li I usually go full Arcane Orb for megadamage and with Sylvanas I take all her quiver talents + her slippery escapes like Will of the Forsaken and the one that gives you movement speed whenever you spam arrow.

Missiles/tp builds are generally what you want with LM. Orb is not great because people learn to just dodge them.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Lili might be worth it as a second healer (like Tyrande) over a 2nd tank/bruiser verse an AA team now.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Eh, not really. Their chance of winning was already 0% if they're ignoring a lane. Doesn't really matter what he does at that point it's still 0%.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I mean you can also argue that he could safe soak as Lucio to try and keep his team even on xp while the 4 man pushed down the mid fort 4v3. You can make all sorts of what ifs but realistically his team has already lost and there's nothing he can do.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Also the number one reason people < Plat lose is they have no loving idea what soaking is. Keeping all 3 lanes safely soaked is like the best thing a team can do to help them win.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Lucio is also the weakest laner in the entire game and soaks slower than anyone else.

Even Morales can at least heal the minions.

They very likely were going to lose anyway, but there is not really any scenario where Lucio solo laning while the other 4 team members are grouped and team fighting is the optimal scenario.

You are confusing soaking with pushing. Everyone soaks at the same rate. Your job as a solo laner is not to push. It's to safely soak.

But all of that is besides the point. You say that there is no scenario where solo laning as Lucio is correct. However there is also no scenario where 5 manning mid is correct. So there basically is nothing that he could have done to correct the situation.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

5-manning mid is the correct scenario when you are Lucio and the rest of your team is together.

It is a bad strategy, but solo laning as Lucio and letting the rest of your team get picked is going to lose you XP and the game much faster than sitting in a lane ever will.

I'm not sure how one strategy that leads to a loss is better than another strategy that leads to a loss. If your team is 4 manning they shouldn't get picked because the enemy team has 3 mid, one top, one bottom. You are now helping to make up lost xp as best you can.

If the enemy team devotes 4 mid then you guys are even with 4v4 mid and 1 additional lane soaked for each team.

If the enemy team devotes 5 mid then your team should be smart enough to play safe while you guys soak twice the xp of the enemy team, you are winning in this scenario.

Obviously what really happens is your team consists of complete idiots and they will all feed mid no matter what so you've already lost. In which case I don't see the difference between 5 manning mid and losing or solo soaking while your team 4 mans and losing. The results are exactly the same.

Kai Tave posted:

It's the same thing in Overwatch really, or any other team game, everybody doing a dumb thing together is better than one person trying to be the voice of reason. Especially if that person is a support, whose entire purpose is to be near other people.

This isn't really true because there's no concept of soaking in Overwatch. Having Tass solo soak is perfectly fine.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 26, 2017

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
If your team is literally walking into towers and dying 4v3 there's nothing you can do to win. Lucio healing is not going to stop a tower from killing your teammates. You're arguing stabbing yourself in the left eye is somehow better than stabbing yourself in the right eye. All the strategies are awful and it's irrelevant what you do.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

I didn't know that, thanks.

So is there any rhyme or reason for who should go to what lane when you do actually split up into lanes?

On 2 lane maps you have 4 in one lane and solo in the other. Your solo lane should be someone who has strong sustain like Thrall/Sonya or someone with a global so they can hearth and come back like Dahaka/Falstad. Remember your number one job as the solo is to soak XP and not die, not push the lane.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

Probius = great solo laner. Is he to the point where you can solo top two lanes on BHB, assuming no Xul?

He has no sustain and is super vulnerable to certain heroes. Like Thrall can easily bully you out of lane with Q. Plus he gets ganked easily. You have to have really good map awareness if you solo with him.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It's only bad when the Valeera is on your team.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Orange Crush Rush posted:

No it's definitely not great when you feel like playing Valla/Jaina/Lunara/Naz/Whatever but whoops can't because Valeera still has like a 75%+ pickrate in QM lmao

Jaina and Valla have a huge instant cast AoE to reveal Valeera. Lunara has a level 1 talent to keep Valeera revealed. Naz is the only one that should have a huge problem and he gets ice block at 13. Are you sure you're not thinking of Zeratul or something?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Have you considered that when you reveal them your team has the opportunity to rip their face off? I can sort of understand if you're silver league and the Valeera is master or something and then they rip your team to shreds, but that's a matchmaking problem. Generally speaking, the Valeera is going to be poo poo and a detriment to their team. That's why in ranked people desperately do not want their teammates to pick her.

HelixFox posted:

Self-cast zombies as Nazeebo and step out before they spawn.

If they open with stun or silence you'll often be dead before the zombies accomplish anything. I think she's a bigger issue for Naz because even if you see her it's really hard to land a spell to reveal.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

Yeah they're garbage characters who make the game more annoying, and telling people what game types they should play or to play heroes they don't find enjoyable is not cool. It's a video game, it's supposed to be fun.

I don't know why y'all are so eager to defend these heroes that make quick match worse, it's weird video game elitist poo poo.

It's good to have variety in a video game. You're not going to make everyone happy all the time. I like Chromie and she's certainly strong in certain situations but I don't slam first pick her every game because stealth heroes and dive exists. The game should not remove all stealth and dive heroes because I like to play Chromie.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

I didn't say they won games, I said they make QM more annoying.

If you're playing QM then just dick around and enjoy the game. It doesn't matter if you win or lose. You're the only one keeping yourself from having fun.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Just ban every hero except Raynor. They all make the game unfun.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Polio Vax Scene posted:

I must use all my abilities on cooldown
- the average Assassin

It's a DPS loss if you don't!

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Sorry, you're just flatly wrong. The existence of more variance/confounding factors just increases the number of games it takes for your winrate/MMR to reflect your skill. This is the same fallacy as 'elo hell' - that your performance is not reflective of your skill, but of factors outside your control.

Sort of. About 70% of my ranked games lately have been massively unfavored, like +25 point disparity. Games are nearly impossible to win at that point no matter what you do. Sample size is "small" as in ~25 games so maybe it'll change over 100+ but the poo poo matchmaking sure is frustrating.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
More people enjoy or don't care if stealth heroes are in the game. That's why they are in the game and Blizzard keeps making them. That is why stealth in multiplayer is a good idea.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
This is true of non stealth heroes as well. If I don't see Kerrigan in any lane and I'm soloing I'm gonna sit on my gate. Blizzard should probably just remove the concept of ganking from the game.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It only lasts what? A second? It's a bit annoying but it's not awful. She would need major buffs if she didn't have the ability, like cloak of shadows baseline or something.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
But I don't like to play *arbitrary number of heroes who are all really good against stealth assassins*, therefore stealth heroes should be removed from the game.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Sorry if I wanna level up people that aren't tanks/bruisers once in a while

There are plenty of heroes that aren't tanks or bruisers that are fine against Valeera. You still get XP even if you lose. You can play ranked where stealth heroes are rare. There are so many options available. People who complain sound like they want to play the squishiest heroes in the game every single match and they don't want to ever worry about things like positioning or map awareness or being attacked.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Philip Rivers posted:

I just wanted to say that I killed a Jaina like five times last game I played as Valeera because she kept being extremely ownable and I bet she was mad about it irl

Uuugh all I want to do is solo this fort while my team is trying to get the objective halfway across the map and this loving Valeera just keeps owning me from half a health. Uuuugh, what a bullshit hero.

BrianBoitano posted:

Play a tank or bruiser to survive stealthies you say? :smug:

https://clips.twitch.tv/DreamyUnusualBoarFreakinStinkin

Haha, loving Rich. If you're complaining about stealth heroes because it's goddamned Rich playing them in every single on of your games then yeah, I'm totally behind you. gently caress stealth heroes.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Caeks posted:

Properly being able to use his Telekinesis ability is key. I tend to use his Lightning Surge on cooldown to harass enemy heroes, and rarely miss Discord Strike after taking the talent the reduces the wind up time but gives him vulnerability.

If you are going Q build you go push distance at 1, Q damage quest, and increased Q size. Then practice shoving people into you and hitting Q. Don't use the cooldown on Q talent as a crutch.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Caeks posted:

Odd, I NEVER take push distance at 1. I always spec into removing the mana cost.

Edit: Also I never get double cross. I'm rarely in a situation where the extra length would've helped over getting a faster Discord off, and having the faster Discord Strike gives enemies much less time to react. Specially so after diving with ult at level 10 - with the ability to dive in on a squishy, immediately discord and render them useless.

Doublecross is an 83% pick rate. You can usually assume people (i.e. the pros) have figured this stuff out when the pick rate is that high.

https://www.hotslogs.com/Sitewide/HeroDetails?Hero=Alarak

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Dugong posted:

Is it too late for me to get the week 1 rewards?

You can complete them anytime in the coming month. You actually must complete them to get the current rewards. So during week 4 you must complete weeks 1-3 (if you haven't done so already) before you can get the week 4 reward.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

I tried a heavy defense build for Artanis last night and now I don't understand why anyone would ever play him differently. Though now I have to decide if I want to keep playing him enough to drop half my gold on him.

Almost all his talent tiers are all defensive or all offensive, there usually isn't a choice between doing more damage vs taking less. Except at 20, always take the shield cooldown at 20 so you can become a living god. Also amateur opponent at level 1 is really, really, good on maps with bosses like BoE.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
His stealth isn't that great when used offensively. You don't really need to worry about him ganking you since he has no burst and no cc. He's strong a split pusher on large maps that's almost impossible to punish because he can stealth away. He can also bring enough damage to a team fight to contribute without being totally busted. He's pretty solid but serves a specific purpose. Really good on a map like Junction.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 2, 2017

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

With Ragnaros sort of being a Firelord even though there's minimal ability overlap, we're down to four hero types from WC3 that aren't in HotS yet, and those are troll shadow hunter (support, Vol'jin), night elf warden (assassin, Maiev), naga sea witch (assassin, probably Vashj as pointed out to me by Kyle) and goblin alchemist (support, no idea).

Missing Dreadlord and Pitlord off the top of my head. Kel'Thuzad.

E: Also Zeratul is functionally the same as Maiev with an instant AoE, a slow debuff, and a blink. Still would be cool to get a Warden but she'd need a completely different kit.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 3, 2017

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I'm sure they can make Maeiv look different enough from Warden Tyrande. I mean one carries a bow and one carries a huge glaive.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
A Chromie bot won a game in HGC last weekend.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
RoD is really good if you find pressing W and Q too hard and your opponents do not know how to attack you.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
That might be true in silver or something. But usually people learn to attack the squishy mage that just stunned himself for 7 seconds pretty quickly.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Correct, so you put yourself in a position where they either don't know where you're channeling from, or can't easily cover distance to pop the Gul'dan. Further, you should be taking active advantage of your team running interference for you.

Seems like an awful lot of work for a DPS loss. I can't believe you guys are actually arguing that Rain is better because Horrify is too random. This must be some kind of elaborate troll.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Uh if you cast RoF from max range it's still a DPS loss compared to using your other abilities.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Minrad posted:

applying dps from a safe distance to an area you couldn't otherwise isn't a dps loss. the opposite, actually.

I mean if your argument that Rain is good when it is literally impossible for Gul'dan to otherwise team fight then sure I guess? You probably shouldn't have picked him in the first place then.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I mean it sounds like you just shouldn't have picked Guldan if their team outranges yours and you have no way to engage. I guess if you're in QM you can make the best of an impossible situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Five second delay before your guy comes back still seems pretty bad.

One of Auriel's best traits is her anti burst ability from Aegis.