Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

every villain in blizzard history is a corrupted good guy. each setting has like 1 prime mover bad guy who corrupted a succession of villains who corrupt other villains etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Void lords-> sargeras -> draenei/eredar -> illidan, kael’thas, orcs, highborne, arthas etc

Void lords -> old gods -> loken, mogu, Lei Shen, naga, silithid, aqir, mantid

Amon -> zerg-> kerrigan

et cetera, et cetera

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

the ultimate chain of corruption is void lords -> sargeras -> kil’jaeden -> ner’zuhl -> arthas -> Sylvanas -> nathanos

every single link of that chain is someone who was noble and heroic until they were dreadfully corrupted by the one before. It is literally blizzard’s one idea.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

whoa massive yrel nerf

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Kith posted:

Yrel's Q still heals her regardless of if it hits anything, so she's still got plenty of sustain available to her. The difference now is that she can't use the Heal-On-Basic-Attack-After-Casting talent from Level 1 unless she hits a Hero with the ability, forcing her to actually pressure her opponent instead of just focusing on whacking minions.

it also means that 1) she can’t quickly duck into an empty lane, clear it and incidentally heal to full and 2) if she bullies the opponent behind the gate, she loses her sustain and can’t heal off the damage that she took bullying or from enemy minions/towers.

Huge nerf.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Semper Fudge posted:

So I haven't played in months but Yrel was my absolute fave character, does this nerf just absolutely dumpster her?

I dunno but it’s an absolutely crippling nerf. She’s still very good 1v1 and can bully most people but this makes her a lot less snowbally in the early game

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Shark Pirate Greymane when

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

this is a really dumb change. I guess the thought is that killing buildings is supposed to advance map pressure, not snowball exp. but the problem is that this just shifts a relatively greater percentage of your exp into minion kills, and with pults showing up earlier it’ll push out your waves and make soaking harder. we’ll have more stalemate games on big maps where one side can’t effectively soak due to how pushed the lanes are. catchup mechanic I guess, but implemented in a frustrating, weird way.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

moush posted:

Just revert the ammo changes, it was a failed experiment Blizzard.

I don’t mind the ammo changes because the ammo soaking minigame was weird and favored all kinds of poo poo other than the poo poo you want to favor. But I think it was enough on its own, this is totally unnecessary. If they’re concerned about snowballing there are all kinds of anti-snowballing measures they can include

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah I burned through quests in vs AI without much issue. It's only a problem is you place importance on the event quests, lose a lot, and also refuse to play vs AI.

Do they ever end or can you go around the board as much as you want?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

huge bummer, because I love HOTS, but I guess they’re really feeling the pressure. I wonder if blizzard lost too many of the people who know how to make games or activision is breathing down their necks or both (and one can lead to the other).

seriously though you guys can’t even space out the bad news? You gotta make it super obvious that HOTS is being strangled huh

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

they weren't able to figure out a matchmaking algorithm that doesn't suck rear end, but it feels like the game probably could have trucked on forever in its contented niche. except it really seems like someone at the top of the ladder is stepping on blizzard's dick and pushing them to spin out moneymaking content to match fortnite or whatever

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

blizzard right now feels like 2013 era games workshop, kinda floundering around and unsure of why anyone plays their games. lurching from bad idea to bad idea and stomping on the faces of the playerbase.

games workshop managed to pull out of their death dive and are in kind of a golden age right now so I guess that analogy is some reason for optimism, but it feels like a lot of the bad decisions at blizzard are coming down from the top and I don’t see how they break that shackle

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

It kind of feels like Titan hosed them up pretty substantially culture-wise. All we hear about it is “that’s how we got Overwatch!” like it was a blessing to have a game cancelled after that long. but it seems like activision had been pretty hands off before that and really started yanking the choke chain after.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Heroes of the Storm was never a world beater and that was largely because of inertia; all the competitive stuff you all are talking about is largely tinkering around the edges, mostly it’s just that most of the people who want to play mobas already have one.

In a normal environment HOTS would have trucked along forever. But Blizz’s stock has dipped 40% since blizzcon so everything is on the chopping block. I don’t think HOTS is a failure generally, but Activision is looking for scalps

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

capitalism is absolutely responsible for like 99% of what’s wrong with video games including this and it’s funny as hell that reactionary nerds wail about its effects then get pissy when you point out the cause

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Grimdude posted:

What's everyone's general take on Grubby? Because I hated that nerd's voice, his "always positive" attitude, and how much of a boot licker he was and apparently still is. The day I discovered like literally any other hots streamer was revolutionary.

Him and most of the hots reddit can gently caress right off.

Whoa dude... thats grim

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

lmbo their qm winrate data for chogall must be terrifying, this is the second absolutely soul-crushing nerf in a row

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

“Simplifying” to you is “removing lovely mechanics” to everyone else. Complexity in of itself does not equal to a more competitive game. HotS is a way better competitive game, both to play and to watch, than Dota2.

By far the biggest 3 reasons hots struggled are:
1. An awful launch
2. Showing up to the genre late
3. Awful pricing

All the other complaints would be annoying but tolerated if the big three had been better

#2 is a bigger factor than everything everyone in the thread has said combined

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I felt really bad after the announcement and took a break but then I came back and since then my games have all seemed fine, tbh. Some wins, some losses, some close games, some one sided. I’m really not noticing a strong bias one way or the other.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

the hots team also really, really consistently underestimated how powerful mobility is
see: how everyone and their mother used to have cleanse and bolt of the storm, despite them obsoleting all the other picks on that level

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

hots being a latecomer to the moba party and having insanely bad monetization are both separate problems and both contributed to its current state. I dunno if you can really pick them apart and say one is worse.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

just had four games
in game 1, the banner banned picks other people were showing, then him and his party member alternated between going afk behind walls and feeding. they never spoke, but spam-pinged each person who died as soon as they died. the game was over in less than ten minutes

in game 2, that winning pair was on the other team, but for some reason decided to play the game seriously. meanwhile nobody on my team knew the meaning of the word soak and immediately charged in in every outnumbered fight. we ended the game with 0 kills to 20.

in game 3, the other team had no healer. however, my team decided that meant that they could engage freely whenever they want and chase like mad. they also insisted on splitting 3-2 in Hanamura instead of 4-1, then while the top 2 were easily held off by Dehaka, the other two on the bottom repeatedly tried to engage into the enemy team's 4. when they did teamfight, they went straight for varian and dehaka and let falstad, alarak and sylvanas clown all over them.

in game 4 our imperius walked into a bush and simply went afk until he disconnected. somehow, we won with a bot off of some truly heroic diablo/whitemane play by my teammates and a skilled abathur, but seriously. maybe i just need to start playing later in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

hogger was the first elite (much, much tougher version of a normal enemy) many players ran into. In the early days of wow lots of people didn’t know what the golden dragon around his portrait meant and went right for him assuming they could handle him the same way they handled the rest of the gnolls. This was not the case.