Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Playing at 4K resolution makes the emojis all too small to even see. Guess this means I don't have to waste money buying lootboxes.

(This is a thinly veiled attempt to trick Blizzard into fixing the problem.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

How are Li-Ming and Sylvanas doing in the current game? They're my favorite heroes to queue with but it's hard to tell if I'm doing the right thing. For Li I usually go full Arcane Orb for megadamage and with Sylvanas I take all her quiver talents + her slippery escapes like Will of the Forsaken and the one that gives you movement speed whenever you spam arrow.

This is my standard Sylvanas build; but against passive healers like Brightwing and Lucio it's probably better to build Q instead. (Or just use this build anyway then get all smug about topping the charts on the scoreboard and blame your team for everything at the end of the game.)

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 26, 2017

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

BattleHamster posted:

What you linked is basically her best overall build except for the level 13 talent. You should give Windrunner a try because it blows every other talent on that tier out of the water both offensively and defensively, and it synergises better with the rest of her kit than life drain.

I do go Windrunner any time we have a healthy advantage by level 13. It's just I spend many games in QM where having a healer and a tank is a luxury; and I've found it can be difficult to get value out of Windrunner without dying unless you have one or both.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 26, 2017

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Gustav posted:

Can we settle this shimmer thing? What are the graphic settings on which shimmer is much harder to spot? It's like an urban legend at this point.

Stealth's shimmer is implemented as a convolution of whatever backdrop the stealthy is being rendered over. That means they're harder to spot whenever they're against a low-contrast surface. Lower graphics settings generally result in lower-contrast ground textures, which makes stealth characters harder to see. But there's also the argument that lower-contrast surfaces make any sort of anomaly stand out against them easier -- and how often is a stealth character going to be standing out in the middle of a lane where there's no wall or other sort of background they can distort? Not very often, so maybe the simpler low quality textures make catching that easier. Who knows?

Pro players generally don't give a poo poo because they play draft modes, and nobody drafts stealth characters in high level games.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I managed to lose a Hanamura match up 4-1 the other day so with god anything is possible

People do not understand how that map works at all. 2 points left on the enemy core and an empowered friendly payload that'll win the game that's already halfway pushed? Nah, let's go defend that un-empowered payload instead because our 3 point core simply can't handle the damage!

The UI needs to do a better job of communicating when payloads will do extra damage. The display they currently have might as well not even be there for as much as people notice it. (In fact, I bet there's people in this very thread who don't even realize the UI shows when you have multiple shots waiting for a payload -- and I don't mean the little bombs that get attached in the game to the payload itself.)

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Avalerion posted:

I just figured taking down a fort makes the next payload shoot twice, is there more to it?

Yeah that's how the payload gets extra shots (which is a fact that confuses people in its own right). I'm talking about the UI indicating that the next payload is going to have more than one shot to it.

Gustav posted:

I don't know where else they should have put it.

On the same side of the minimap with all the other payload-relevant information would have been a good start. It also shouldn't be a display that just shows "1" all the time and quietly switches to "2". It's so easy to overlook because 90% of the game it's just sitting down there showing "1x x1". When it's 2 or more, it should glow or have fire on it or something to indicate that something out of the ordinary is happening and that you, as a player, should be aware of it.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 8, 2017

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Kashuno posted:

The display for the damage dealt by the next payload is in huge colored text.

And yet, in nearly every game I've played on the map someone has been surprised to learn its there!

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Power Bottom posted:

Patch just went out for a new loading screen.

It's loving great.

I'm gonna miss the skeleton in the lower left screaming LOADING

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Alpha Mayo posted:

Blackheart pays out the gold, then collects the gold he paid out. Sounds like slavery with extra steps.

He's a job creator.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Toshimo posted:

This promotion is moronic. The lack of feedback is something that should cause their marketing and brand teams to be taken out to the woodshed.

I won one of the top 100 brackets from Heroes of the Dorm and there was absolutely no notification anywhere that I'd won anything. Nothing in game (aside from the fact that Kerrigan's skin was silently unlocked). No email.

At least this time they're sending out emails.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
If you really want to know how to play Rehgar better, I can't recommend following this guide enough.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Yukari posted:

How doesn't your AI team finish the game for you?

Ping all the members of the enemy team to you so they won't run off and push your own payload (and which also incidentally keeps them close enough to you for universal carrier to keep spreading your germs to), then use them to stand on the enemy's top payload that the enemy exclusively runs to and tries to push.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
The game needs more sexy skins, not less. Speedo Tychus was a good start, but where are the great skins we need like Runway Model Xul, Fabio Kloctus, and Slaveboi Thrall?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Fuzz posted:

Eh, depends on the map. On Blackheart's you can pretty easily solo split push both top lanes by level 7ish...

But you shouldn't. You should have someone else solo soaking the top two lanes while your team pushes bottom lane as 4 with you shutting down their poo poo.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

bamhand posted:

It's not unreasonable to have Sylv, split soak the top lane while the you push as 4 on bottom. Could be that your draft didn't give you another good split soaker or something. Though usually it's Xul that's doing the solo top strat on that map.

Whether you have an ideal top laner or not, you should still push with 4 bottom at the start of the game because it's so far from the other lanes, and you force them to waste a lot of time rotating down to respond. You'll end up at least getting the towers down before they can show up to contest it.

After they've responded, maybe then re-evaluate your life choices and go top; but the argument for sending Sylvanas to the top lanes only really makes sense if you have absolutely nobody else who can soak them effectively. Sylvanas is best spent multiplying the team's pushing power, not being by herself. If she's going to end up by herself, you are 100% better off if you just draft a different hero instead.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

No Wave posted:

Hotslogs just randomly had the high Kerrigan win rates when popular perception is that she sucks, just randomly the buffed garrosh talents have low win rates, just randomly had butcher popularity and win rate explode post-change... this broken clock sure matches up with the devs' own internal data a lot, weird.

And yet Zeratul's sitting at 44% winrate and they didn't buff him, Sonya's Wrath of the Berserker enjoys a huge pick rate and win rate advantage and Leap hasn't been adjusted to make it competitive, and the talent selection button to choose Hammer's BFG might as well be a "I want to lose the video game" button; and yet none of those have been addressed so it looks like this broken clock sure also doesn't match up with the devs' own internal data a lot, weird. Or maybe win rates aren't the only factor in their design decisions. It's almost like you can cherry pick specific anecdotes to support whatever narrative you want to push!

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

No Wave posted:

What was implied was the inaccuracy and uselessness of hotslogs data.

Blizzard explained the reason for the Chen changes was because his winrate was at 55%+. According to HotsLogs at the time it was 49%. That's pretty inaccurate and useless, as its quite literally the difference between being top tier and being middle of the pack. Hotslogs data is basically useless.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Gustav posted:

And which winrate was that..? Just the number "55%+" out of context is completely meaningless. Sure Blizzard has all the data, but obviously they're filtering for something, if they aren't its even more meaningless. Hotdogs actually has Chen at 55% right now, I went and checked (HL, diamond, last 7 days).

quote:

Chen, Kerrigan, and Butcher were all well outside of our win-rate bounds (45% - 55%) in all modes of play and at all MMR bands.

https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/6vpchz/fyi_balance_patch_got_comments_on_kerrigan_and/dm2p2zj/

That does not sync up with HotsLogs data in the slightest, as you've already discovered by pointing out that you have to cherry pick Chen's data down to a specific league and skill band to get data that's close. And it's worth pointing out that neither Kerrigan nor The Butcher are beyond 55% winrate across all filters either.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 26, 2017

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
goddamnit ordf

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Fuzz posted:

... the gently caress is a pachimari?

An Overwatch faux-Japanese thing.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

AlmightyBob posted:

I haven't played qm in a while, is that normal now?

QM doesn't guarantee you a healer or a tank. It only matches like to like. (And recently it doesn't seem to be doing even that well.)

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

porfiria posted:

I really don't get the attachment to Performance Based MMR.

It's solely to shut people up who continually cry about "MMR hell", because now they can't put the blame on their team when the system gives them negative performance adjustments.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Craptacular! posted:

So what do you play if you don’t have any friends who like this game but are interested in a balanced team?

Play unranked mode.

Which has the added benefit that no matter which character you play, every game counts toward completion for your daily quests.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Apparently there's some issue with Hanzo that causes framerate dips. Probably scatter shot.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I've never seen anything from Blizzard that's said personal rank adjustment takes your current win/loss rate into account. Everything they've said is that it's based on the discrepancy between your rank and your MMR only.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

beejay posted:

Remember when they showed Diablo's footprints on Hanamura and it was to tease D.Va.

Blizzard was pretty explicit in saying that was a teaser for their new cinematic reveal, not about a new hero. Reddit was just being reddit (i.e., dumb as gently caress) and went crazy about it being a clue to the new hero despite what Blizzard said.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

No Wave posted:

The part about hidden MMR and ranked points somehow diverging even further since some recent change (causing longer queue times) was very strange.

Not terribly strange. If you believe their other statement that their changes to matchmaking have resulted in 'better matched games', which would imply that they're putting together games with lower MMR variances; then those games would end up having a larger impact on each individual player's MMR than games did previously, which would cause MMR to move faster than the relatively slow moving rank can keep up.

The players on an average 2200 ranked team will gain more points from winning a game against an average 2200 ranked team than they would if they won a game against an average 1900 ranked team because MMR is designed to give more meaning to games won against more even matchups than it gives to matchups that were slanted one way or the other.

The core problem is that they have two different systems. One is a mathematically sound system: MMR; and the other is a completely arbitrary system that's not at all based in any sort of rigor: ranking -- and they're both fed by fundamentally different inputs. So it's not surprising in the least that they're going to diverge, and they're going to diverge faster when either one of the two moves faster. And that leads to the result where someone might queue up and there be plenty of good opponents for them also in the queue, but they can't be matched with them because the matchmaking restrictions tied to the broken ranking system prevent it from happening.

The solution is to get rid of ranking entirely and just use MMR, but they aren't going to do that for.... reasons.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

SirSamVimes posted:

I haven't played since the life support announcement. Is HL active enough to be worth reinstalling?

HL is dead as the dodo, but that's only because they changed TL to be solo or group queue, and so now everyone just queues for TL instead because the end-of-season rewards for TL are better.

Ranked as a whole is still active, but not if you want the HL solo-only experience.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
HotS isn't dead. The dev team is putting out the biggest patches in the games history, and the community-run pro scene is picking up steam.

Just don't expect new heroes any time soon. That's fine though, the game's got a sizable, varied selection of heroes already.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I, too, only enjoy games based on how many people I've never met watch them because if nothing else I am desperate for peer validation.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Exactly what HotS needed: the worst character with the most frustrating style of mechanics (slows and freezes) from the worst franchise.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Orange Crush Rush posted:

To be honest I'm not really sure what Mei really fufills in HoTS? Like we already have a freezey/slowy caster in Jaina and a freezey/slowy bruiser in Arthas? I feel like Mei could only be one of those two as well.

Obviously, Mei will be able to do what Jaina does except she'll be able to do it while she's moving and probably make ice walls so you can't run away (even if you could run away while she's stacking a progressive slow on you with her ice cannon while she's chasing you).

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Don't get too excited, he's not actually getting that as a skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
You're just jealous she makes the big bucks.