Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I started playing last night for the first time since the launch window because I saw stuff about the game overhaul and needed to kill some time. I ended up getting a Tracer Skin in my free boxes so I decided to try playing her and it was pretty fun. Are there any tips for her? Recommended builds?

e: I also felt real :smuggo: when I dodged Nova's ult with Blink and killed her when fighting over a map objective.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Polio Vax Scene posted:

The only ones that I think are must picks are
Level 7: Jumper - having an extra blink on demand is crucial for getting kills or not dying
Level 16: Locked and Loaded - master this one, all talents on this tier are flat damage increases but this one is the highest with the highest skill requirement.
Level 20: Total Recall - allows you to take damage during a team fight (diving in for a grenade for example) and then continue fighting after recalling

Excellent, thanks. How does Locked and Loaded work? The talent description just said something about properly timing my reloads but doesn't say what that timing actually is.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is account level just the combined level of all your characters?

Also is Tyrande good? I got a skin for her last night and I've decided that I'm just going to play whoever I have cool stuff for right now.

I also got a chariot that looks like it's straight out of Kirby, so that's awesome.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thanks for the advice on Tyrande. Looks like I may just be best off sticking to playing her when partied with others.
I'm absolutely going to play her in pubs

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

dont even fink about it posted:

Tyrande is good as long as you don't try to play her as a support. Just pretend you are Raynor with a heal basically?

I don't remember anything about Raynor but that sounds like something I can manage since I think he's the starter hero

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tyrande trip report from last night: it took me a few games to really get in a groove but after a while I felt like I was really getting the hang of her. I had a game that went so well that when I started the next match someone on my team actually remembered me and complimented me for destroying them last game :3:

Also I sniped someone across the map :hellyeah:

I think next I'm going to work on Vallah because I have her deputy skin and I apparently played her a lot when the game first came out because she's my highest level character.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Avalerion posted:

Yea both qm and hero league should stay. Don't see much point to unranked draft though since that's just like hero draft without the rewards. So that's what I'd change to something between the two.

It's good for practicing new stuff like it's ranked but without the pressure of it being ranked. Not exactly the same thing but when I used to play dota if I was in ranked I felt like I needed to stick to the things I know because if I gently caress up it's not just my ranking that goes down but my whole team's. In unranked that's not there.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nephzinho posted:

Part of getting really good at Tyrande is knowing the pathing on every map. That is, assume the person you're chasing is running towards their nearest fountain/otherwise safe area and knowing exactly what path the game is going to take them via so you know exactly where to drop your E, or which bottleneck to send your owl during (and when). Yeah you can just follow up on other people's stuns and roots or whatever, but securing kills and landing the opening stun take a lot of practice. Tyrande hasn't seen significant changes in a while and pretty much comes into play with the meta here and there, but she has long been one of my favorite heroes and during 'stun meta' she is pretty much an instant pick for me.

The stun is definitely the hardest for me to land but when I do hit one that leads to a kill it's super satisfying. Also I can sort of use it to herd people if I miss so that's nice.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nephzinho posted:

If you have the option it is sometimes worth over-leading the shot so that the person you're chasing has to choose whether to walk into it or juke it, slowing down enough to have the rest of your team catch them. Can also deter their teammates from trying to cover the escape. The only thing that really bugs me on Tyrande is her wave clear is nonexistant, so if you're playing with pubbies and are the only one left alive, it can be incredibly hard to cover lanes effectively and make up the lost XP or cover a pushing merc.

Yeah, the stun sort of helps there since it's AoE but it's not great. Early game I'll stick in lane to soak but once I get to level 10 or so I try to just stick with the team. What ultimate do you recommend for her? I switched between the two but couldn't decide which was better.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I play QM because I only know how to play three heroes

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I tried a heavy defense build for Artanis last night and now I don't understand why anyone would ever play him differently. Though now I have to decide if I want to keep playing him enough to drop half my gold on him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

He's really good, you should buy him.

Also forge his red samurai skin because it owns.

I actually already have it from I think my 2.0 conversion packs. Or at least it's a samurai skin, maybe it's orange instead of red. It's pretty cool either way combined with my Nimbus Cloud.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

laughing out out out out out out out out out out out loud

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Macaluso posted:

I don't want to play Braxxis Holdout anymore Blizz

:same:

I think I'd even prefer Hanamura over it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I just had brawl force all ten people into playing as Greymane.

...it was kind of awesome

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SKULL.GIF posted:

No I mean we crushed them like seashells beneath our heels. Cho'Gall couldn't get near Leoric without his health dropping like a rock, and since this was Braxis Holdout, that meant they could never really contest the two beacons. We got three straight 100-0s and won in like ten minutes.

Were we in the same stack? Had that happen in one of my games last night and it was hilarious. Exploding bone armor talent against chogall is also fun since it does damage based on max health.

Also to piggyback off the Hanamura sapper discussion earlier (I didn't know Hanamura had that), I also learned last night that the siege units on Towers of Doom will damage the core if they get all the way through.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yes I was, and that Towers of Doom game was especially good because of the big turnaround we had.

Yeah, that game was super good. Crazy what happens when a team actually starts working together :v:

I'm a little sad that I have to decide between "having Xul" and "having gold" now, though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Are pushers like Xul and Sylvanas good in ranked if I just want to spend the whole game being an rear end in a top hat that focuses on pushing lanes where everyone isn't? Or is that mainly a QM thing that's been working for me because I'm with a coordinated goon team?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I suppose I need to put some time into Sylv now that my free Xul time is over.

Lemon-Lime posted:

You should not do this, and turn up to objectives/teamfights instead.

I did do this too. But, especially early game, and depending on the map, sometimes I would push an objective with Xul because he can clear a wave in about a second and rack up a ton of XP that the enemy team isn't getting.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Random question but from playing DotA I've just been assuming the answer is yes: can enemy towers/forts see through stealth?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I think you're forgetting a hero that already has a cone blast, short range movement skill, spinning shooty death ult, and grimdark aesthetic

They should just make Reaper "Literally Valla" and then rework Valla to be a different DH playstyle.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

exquisite tea posted:

I feel like Tyrande has been an eternally underrated hero ever since this game was in its infancy and now she's just gonna be ridiculous, definitely a first pick/ban for the foreseeable future.

She was one of the first heroes I played when I started playing again after 2.0 and is still my only level 10 hero, and I've been wondering why more people didn't play her.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Coolness Averted posted:

Because she still can't heal very well or mitigate damage and people lean on a support for that in QM. I used to like her a lot in the early days of HotS, back during the stun meta and then later when her global heal was amazing/she was admittedly broken. As is, she really struggles as a lone support, though has a drafting niche. If you're playing against a team that can dive or melt you before you get into range for her mark, you just wind up being a lovely assassin. Rework seems to be boosting her up to crazy damage.

My favorite era of Tyrande really was when she felt like a flex character that could easily spec to fill what your team needed. A sort of jack of all trades support that had marginal utility as a back up for either more CC, healing, siege/structure damage, or team fight damage, but would really only excel at one of those per match.

All I see here is "dummies didn't go full owl and are bad at skillshots"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm up to five heroes that I enjoy playing so I think I'm ready for the terror that is ranked play :toot:

I should probably learn a real support though since I play Tyrande like an assassin and I don't see that changing with the re-work.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

beejay posted:

Don't forget there are bans and of course up to 9 people picking before you, so be prepared in case you are that dreaded last of the last pick and your go-to heroes are not available.

:negative:

Although to be fair I did say "that I like to play" and not "that I am able to play." Also I know for a fact that there are heroes that I haven't played yet that will be picked/banned before me if I'm picking at the end of a draft.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bamhand posted:

I play QM when I want to play a specific hero and don't care if I win or lose.

Same but this is basically me always.

I do sort of want to try hero league though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I like playing sentinel build tyrande so I'm happy they made it better