Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

Why would they go through all this trouble and not add a map veto.

Imagine the queue times for BHB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Every time a new map comes out everyone says its garbage until people learn how to play the map and then it becomes just another map that dilutes your odds of getting blackheart's bay. Remember how garbage infernal shrines was before people learned to bait the punisher? Now it's one of my favorite maps.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

I don't mind getting BHB in QM. It's as good as any other map as long as no one cares about winning and just teamfight 24/7 for no reason anyway. I'm guessing people who don't see a problem with the map probably only play QM (?)

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

When I want a relaxing break I just don't queue up in the first place :confused:

When I queue up I want to play hots, not be told "actually you're taking a 30 minute relaxing break instead, enjoy"

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

The new QM rules with sonya/varian/tass/tyrande are really bad and I wish they'd revert them because it was more fun having sonya vs a tank then sonya vs an assassin.

Varian counting as an assassin is real dumb because they almost always go tank build when that happens and there's very little you can do about it.

Heroes like Varian just fundamentally poo poo all over all the QM matchmaking rules. Even if they only allowed Varian vs Varian mirrors you'd still have the same problem every time one of them specs Taunt and the other doesn't.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Unranked is also the helldump for every toxic shithead who doesn't want to QM but can't play HL because they're silenced, so it's a bit of a crapshoot

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

raverrn posted:

Matchmaking, huh? That's what you call this?

That's a pretty decent comp tbh.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Try it and see if you like it I guess?

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

imo unranked shouldn't have bans and probably allow mirror picks too. The point should be to get two reasonably functional comps, not tryhard draft strategy stuff. I would also suggest drastically lowering the pick timer. You don't need 60 seconds to discuss hero picks in unranked, you find a role that's needed and pick a hero you want to play.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Thrall is still very good, but most teams now pick two warriors so it might not fit to pick a bruiser. And if a bruiser is on the table for your team comp, you should just pick ragnaros.

Thrall is also one of the nastiest giant killers in the game, so two warrior meta isn't entirely in his disfavor

Thrall has a decent peel, cc ults and good combat sustain, I consider him an acceptable substitute for the 2nd warrior

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

I have a little 1 over my Collections tab that's telling me I have a new Voice Line, but I don't have any new voice lines, none of the hero tabs have a number on them and there are no clips with a bright blue border to mouse over. I can't get rid of it and it's driving me insane.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Thanks guys

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Kill Samuro, ignore Nova

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

I bet if you just filter out games where no one picks a healer because we have tassadar (ie: I didn't want to heal and now I can just blame tassadar if we lose) he'd probably jump +10% win rate in HL too.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Valeera is certainly the most frustrating of the stealthies. When you see the blur it's usually too late since she covers a lot of ground and has a stun, so you have to watch minimap 100% of the time and go sit in gate the second she disappears from it. Perfectly manageable, but not very fun.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Ein Sexmonster posted:

So if you want to roll QM as 3, just play Rag/Varian/Uther. It's such a good brawly core that plays well with whatever random garbage you are assigned.

Just Varian and anything and you're pretty much golden

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Warrior/tank/whatever isn't a very well defined category

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

I don't see how bad talent specs are different from any other "we lost because a teammate did something stupid" situation, but for some reason people wanted them to fix this one with matchmaking code and here we are.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

I thought we were talking about the laning phase. In a teamfight just stay close to a healer/tank/revealer/anyone with a root/stun you'll be fine. Also any dps.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Can we settle this shimmer thing? What are the graphic settings on which shimmer is much harder to spot? It's like an urban legend at this point.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Tons of people enjoy playing stealth heroes. Nova used to be one of the most notorious "main" heroes where people would have one hero at level 20 and everything else at 5 or less. That's why it's in the game.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

ninguno posted:

That's a really good question. Everyone saying "QM sucks" is really at odds with 90% of goon-ups being QM.

The thing is if one person in a 5 stack wants to do QM that's what they end up doing, because people who prefer draft are like meh whatever we're a 5 stack anyway, and the guy who wants QM is like noooo please not draft you guys

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Midnightghoul posted:

I know there's not much HGC posting/interest in here, but they announced that they are finally changing one of the biggest issues with the league: all games will now be played on the current live patch

Much better considering they were playing on two major patches ago still

Good, that poo poo was weird

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Well actually it used to be a swastika but then the PC police made them change it, hence the panda face.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Kind of lost the will to play this game right now, the map rotation feels super small and even though it's mostly good maps I've gotten really bored with it. Hopefully next patch brings back some more maps.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

HelixFox posted:

The plan is to switch to a different set of reduced maps, so hope you like having both Blackheart's and Garden in the same 6 map rotation!

Reddit is extremely red and mad about it though so they might change the plan.

Yeeeeeah gonna go ahead and skip that cycle

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Been a while since I was in gold now (knock on wood), but last I was there you could win just fine with no tank and no healer comps. It's not optimal, but it doesn't become a major issue unless the enemy team is adapting to take advantage.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Gul'dan is one of those ults where you just know if the power levels were reversed everyone would be complaining that they have to pick the boring channel dps ult instead of the hilarious troll ult that makes everyone run around like idiots. Horrify is just a better designed and more interesting ult in every possible way.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Horrify is quite possibly the best ult in the entire game.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Prepick early and, if in doubt, ask them if they're ok with your pick before locking in.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Whoa, there's more than one slot? I didn't even notice that, that's crazy

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Give healers slightly lower heal numbers, slightly higher dps numbers..?

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

That's exactly how you get double or triple support comps. Not that this is a bad thing, it's just a shift in the meta, and we know how well MOBA players handle change.

I think it is a bad thing, as long as support continues to be the role with the least amount of heroes by a wide (and ever increasing, because supports don't sell) margin.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Also I didn't want to rush to judgment on the new map, but HOLY poo poo it really is like they took every fundamental problem with all the least popular maps, dialed them up to 11 and jammed them all into a single map. In a way it's almost impressive.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

The biggest reason why I'm a little hesitant to play support is their lack of non-fight utility. Can't clear waves, can't grab camps, can't even really soak unless your team is playing smart (in which case lanes would already be soaked). It's very frustrating when poo poo needs to be handled on the map and everyone just wants to teamfight teamfight teamfight and then we lose because we fall behind on XP and oops now we have to decide between contesting objective and giving them a free keep. Those are the games where I'm watching helplessly as perfectly winnable games are given away for free, and if I was playing any other role except support and a small handful of tanks I would be able to do something about it.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Airspace posted:

This. I love healing in a five man, but in QM I can run malfurion, heal the other four members of my team back to full from near zero, and then they will still lose a fight.

Followed shortly by 'omg bad malfurion'.

In teamfights I don't agree that supports are particularly low impact. A great malf can make a huge difference with well placed roots, cleanses and ults, and his dps while not assassin-level still makes a noticeable difference. I mean the ult alone, holy poo poo it swings fights so hard. I just wish some of those things would translate over to other aspects of the game too.

Gustav fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 7, 2017

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Highly recommend going Hinterlands Blast over Gust unless you and the rest of the team have a very specific idea of exactly how this comp will be capitalizing on Gust.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

So exactly that thing I suggested earlier and people told me it was more complicated than that.

I mean, QM comps will still be poo poo after that too.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Holy poo poo that's ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Who are these people who play this poo poo map that ends in 12 minutes with zero team fights and think "this is good, I want more of this". I guess we get the maps we deserve.