Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
Goons, what's a good option for creating a recovery USB stick which includes a backup image of C:\ and if possible some files or folders from other partitions and drives, so that I can just plug it in when things go wrong and work from there?

I'm confused to hell now. I used a 128GB USB stick to create an image of C:\, but had to work around the inability to do it on a USB stick because the Win7 Backup and Restore app wouldn't let me set it up using the "On a hard disk" option. With some Googling I managed to "share" the USB drive and I was then able to select the it under the "On a network location" option. So an image of C:\ is backed up (I think?) but now I have to create a system recovery USB on a separate USB stick? Is that correct?

Is there some unified option or hack that does all of this on the one USB stick so I can boot off it and restore the image at the same time? Windews microsaft how i make work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
Not really what you want to hear, but I always recommend backing up in a way that doesn't require a system image restore. I've had windows backup restores fail a lot over my career, and so I wouldn't really trust them.

Is there a reason you need the operating system backed up? Are the many applications installed, or files in weird places?

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
Not really, just the usual stuff in the Program Files and %appdata% folders. There are some files on other drives that I would like to copy/backup from time to time but stuff that can be done manually.

I basically wanted an image so that I don't have to mess about with reinstalling Windows and all my software when things go bad. I created a backup image after a fresh install and some key software intalled, so that I can just whip it out as and when. Recently I had a BSOD that I couldn't recover from by any means and I didn't have a backup image, so I had to start from scratch. It's a pain in the butt!

Do you have any recommendations for a good backup solution that I can quickly roll out in the future? Preferrably with a USB stick, plug in and go.

give me thread fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 27, 2017

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
http://pureinfotech.com/use-wbadmin-create-windows-10-system-image-backup/

That's a pretty good guide for getting the backup stored externally. As you said, you probably need to do it via a share, but that's not the end of the world.

You can use the microsoft media creation tool to make the bootable USB stick used to enter recovery as and when you need to.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Fruit Smoothies posted:

http://pureinfotech.com/use-wbadmin-create-windows-10-system-image-backup/

That's a pretty good guide for getting the backup stored externally. As you said, you probably need to do it via a share, but that's not the end of the world.

You can use the microsoft media creation tool to make the bootable USB stick used to enter recovery as and when you need to.
Thanks, well I kind of already did this but through the GUI. i.e. created a USB stick with the old "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" tool, and then a separate USB stick with the "Create a recovery drive" app.
The problem now is - when I boot from the recovery USB it doesn't recognise the backup USB drive under the system image recovery option.
When I try "Select system image" the USB with the backup images is not found. Blah, dammit Microsoft!

(sorry I just snipped some lovely youtube instruction video to show which menu I'm talking about)

edit - BTW I know there is a workaround for that as well, and probably even more than one. I was just hoping for a nice clean image backup feature to USB stick. Guess Microsoft isn't doing it, so I'll have to look for other software.

give me thread fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 11, 2017

• Locked thread