Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

please, they prefer the term "linux users"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

OldAlias posted:

same. tho the port was removed in 2009, there's a 2002 snapshot of the ps2 version if you have one

i do have a ps2 downstairs actually lmao

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Dairy Days posted:

anyone saying rc is better than systemd is only doing it cause they messed with so many init scripts they got stockholm syndrome
I don't mess with scripts, I dominate them

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i don't janitor linux so i don't know what the fuss is about

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
system of a d

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

systemdeez

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Jimmy Carter posted:

system of a d

echinopsis posted:

system of a down had some cool sounds amongst they reprtore

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

i just use debian

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ian's wife left him and then he hung himself with a vacuum cleaner cord because a cop touched him inappropriately

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

Look, it's simple, you just use "sysctl" when you want to control your system variables, and "systemctl" when you want to control your system services. What could be easier?

smdhctl

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Look, it's simple, you just use "sysctl" when you want to control your system variables, and "systemctl" when you want to control your system services. What could be easier?

who comes up with these dumb command names?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Linux users

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
as with anything 'nix, some greybeards in the 60s. since it's that old, it is holy and will never be changed to something sensible

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Seeing a lot of pets and very few cattle itt

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Suspicious posted:

as with anything 'nix, some greybeards in the 60s. since it's that old, it is holy and will never be changed to something sensible

creat

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

have these lunix guys tried looking at proven, solid init systems like autoexec.bat ?

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.

Suspicious posted:

tbf institutional inertia is not unique to *nix

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

you're not allowed to change anything in unix because it might break a script last used in 1973 by someone who has been dead for two decades

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
tbf that script is probably integral to the boot sequence of a mainframe that handles half of all financial transactions in the us

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sweevo posted:

you're not allowed to change anything in unix because it might break a script last used in 1973 by someone who has been dead for two decades
the burden of making an OS that is practically useful

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
nobody's opposed to a new init system, it just has to be not systemd (which is garbage trash for idiots)

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my goth gf posted:

nobody's opposed to a new init system, it just has to be not systemd (which is garbage trash for idiots)

systemd is cool & good and works great on the best linux, centos 7.3

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

tbf that script is probably integral to the boot sequence of a mainframe that handles half of all financial transactions in the us

nah those ipl'd by basically os/2

no really

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

my goth gf posted:

nobody's opposed to a new init system
[dubious - discuss]

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
my man have you heard of launchd?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
openrc is god's init system for linuxes

pram
Jun 10, 2001
systemd is fine

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jimmy Carter posted:

my man have you heard of launchd?

lunchd :burger:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
mods please namechange to "feckless upstart"

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

pram posted:

systemd is fine

:wrong:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
what are some other reasons that systemd is bad and dumb

pram
Jun 10, 2001
if you arent using systemd it means youre either using old poo poo, or an insanely dumb distro. hth

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

linux from scratch!

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

linux from scratch!

more like poop from a butt

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
othereise known as poo poo

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

carry on then posted:

nah those ipl'd by basically os/2

no really

what the gently caress am i even looking at here

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

what the gently caress am i even looking at here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrKbh5HwF3Q

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

this guy really has the shakes

and the potato cam

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
here's a thing I don't care about anymore because I switched jobs:

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/1143

if you have a misconfigured rtc and a kernel that presents a 32 bit time_t and in particular a serial default tty then pid1 just locks up forever. workarounds? lol kernel issue wontfix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Phobeste posted:

workarounds? lol kernel issue wontfix

nothing quite says "gently caress you" on github like "poettering locked and limited conversation to collaborators on Dec 2, 2016" and then never seeing any movement on the issue ever again.

• Locked thread