Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

kernel as in the thing u find in your poops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

what the gently caress am i even looking at here

the computer that starts the computer

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

akadajet posted:

nothing quite says "gently caress you" on github like "poettering locked and limited conversation to collaborators on Dec 2, 2016" and then never seeing any movement on the issue ever again.

hmm? why would you be annoyed by a person that types like this? Did you know that under pedantic constraints that I am technically correct? Perhaps you could like if I asked you rhetorical question instead of plainly stating something?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
gently caress systemd.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

OWLS! posted:

gently caress systemd.

id love to gently caress and cum inside systemd for being so cool & good

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mishaq posted:

loving lewd.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
heck. I'm gonna install netbsd in a bum today

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
phone autocorrectedVM to bum. will not fix

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yuo ruined it

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

the installer has yospos color options

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mishaq posted:

sick, u need to release your jizz in a more healthy way

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

systemd owns

gentoo with systemd owns

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
no but seriously can someone explain why some people have problems w/ systemd

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the 'tism

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Silver Alicorn posted:

of course it has the runs

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Because they can't accept that unix itself is broken

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i had a roommate who ran gentoo in college.

huge. loving. nerd.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i installed openbsd today, it's pretty cool

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

unix is cool & good

thanks bell labs

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

:rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFfdnFOiXUU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Unix be like

- every program should do one thing well
- but otoh the process model doesn't allow these particular things to be delegated in a reliable way
- ~fartzz~

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

Unix be like

- every program should do one thing well
- but otoh the process model doesn't allow these particular things to be delegated in a reliable way
- ~fartzz~

unix powers the world my friend

thank you boys in new providence, nj!

sad youre dead and gay just like these forums :rip:

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

if stuff just works, what are they going to pretend to be working on all day

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Salt Fish posted:

hmm? why would you be annoyed by a person that types like this? Did you know that under pedantic constraints that I am technically correct? Perhaps you could like if I asked you rhetorical question instead of plainly stating something?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpIoPQHYhrw

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
not knowing much about systemd, it always sounded like a classic runaway project

like, problem: init.d scripts suck, are poorly maintained, are written in shell script. systemd solution: reimplement all of those scripts from scratch, and also every single system facility that those scripts might be interested in (up to and including rewriting half the os network stack), building it all into one monolithic component

it's one of those things where you look up and figure out what exactly the programmers have been doing for the last five years and you look back at their claimed reasons for doing it and you just nod your head sagely because it's pretty loving clear who's running the asylum these days

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.

rjmccall posted:

not knowing much about systemd, it always sounded like a classic runaway project

like, problem: init.d scripts suck, are poorly maintained, are written in shell script. systemd solution: reimplement all of those scripts from scratch, and also every single system facility that those scripts might be interested in (up to and including rewriting half the os network stack), building it all into one monolithic component

it's one of those things where you look up and figure out what exactly the programmers have been doing for the last five years and you look back at their claimed reasons for doing it and you just nod your head sagely because it's pretty loving clear who's running the asylum these days

SystemD did not remake everything as "one monolithic component". It remade a lot of things as still separate things that work together under a manageable and maintainable standard. Previously all those system facilities were all duck taped together, mostly by distro maintainers, and it is a miracle they worked at all. Also, saying the network stack was rewritten at all is not really true. The actual "network stack" is in the kernel and wasn't touched by the SystemD project as far as I know. SystemD just has a new tool for managing and configuring network interfaces.

As bad as it can turn out most of the time, sometimes it is worth it to remake things from scratch. Needs and expectations for a platform can change and you can only keep hacking on a pile of hacks for so long before managing and maintaining it becomes a bigger liability than replacing it. In the general use cases we have now system services aren't there for their own sake to be used individually anyway, they aren't why people use *nix. They are just there to collectively support other applications so it makes sense to manage them collectively so they can be a consistent platform for those applications.

Among all the craziness that does propagate through the open source community it is ironic one of the more sane and practical changes became a source of such toxic hostility. Although I suppose the biggest irony is that it could be argued the previous init system of infinitely nested bash scripts was way more monolithic in how it actually functioned. Despite being spread across multiple random file paths a lot of them them end up running together under one execution of bash.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
motehr fuckin trap spring jesus

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

echinopsis posted:

shut up

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

lol

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

SystemD did not remake everything as "one monolithic component". It remade a lot of things as still separate things that work together under a manageable and maintainable standard. Previously all those system facilities were all duck taped together, mostly by distro maintainers, and it is a miracle they worked at all. Also, saying the network stack was rewritten at all is not really true. The actual "network stack" is in the kernel and wasn't touched by the SystemD project as far as I know. SystemD just has a new tool for managing and configuring network interfaces.

As bad as it can turn out most of the time, sometimes it is worth it to remake things from scratch. Needs and expectations for a platform can change and you can only keep hacking on a pile of hacks for so long before managing and maintaining it becomes a bigger liability than replacing it. In the general use cases we have now system services aren't there for their own sake to be used individually anyway, they aren't why people use *nix. They are just there to collectively support other applications so it makes sense to manage them collectively so they can be a consistent platform for those applications.

Among all the craziness that does propagate through the open source community it is ironic one of the more sane and practical changes became a source of such toxic hostility. Although I suppose the biggest irony is that it could be argued the previous init system of infinitely nested bash scripts was way more monolithic in how it actually functioned. Despite being spread across multiple random file paths a lot of them them end up running together under one execution of bash.

shut up bitch

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

stopped reading after the first word, where you capitalized systemd incorrectly

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

no please i want to understand about system dick

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BONGHITZ posted:

no please i want to understand about system dick

system dick stallman

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
bumping this thread to remind everyone that systemd is actually good

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

:yeah:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

i don't use linux so i don't care

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

akadajet posted:

i don't use linux so i don't care

everyone uses linux my friend, it powers the internet

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
its bad

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

actually,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

• Locked thread