Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
maybe ... some things shouldnt be mapped to the file system ? ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

why is there an expectation that a system will still be bootable after rimming the whole disk???

the issue isn't that you could erase the disk, since you can always just reinstall the OS. the issue was that efivarfs maps EFI variables to the filesystem, and by deleting it you'd be deleting EFI system configuration data, and on systems with lovely UEFI implementations (LOL Samsung) you could make the computer itself unbootable (so that it wouldn't POST).

the kernel was fixed to disallow changing certain EFI data that could lead to the computer itself being rendered unbootable, but systemd still mounts efivarfs as read-write by default. while you can't brick the computer anymore, you can still mess with other EFI stuff by accident. all so that stuff like changing the boot volume can be done without having to remount efivarfs.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

qhat posted:

He's not being paid so he doesn't owe you an ounce of "professionalism" you stupid oval office

nice meltdown!!!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

RISCy Business posted:

nice meltdown!!!

Rofl. Someone calling someone a stupid oval office isn't a meltdown retard.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
y u mad tho

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

qhat posted:

nice!!!!!!!! meltdown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

qhat posted:

u mad bro?

gendered insult + disability insult, sounds like a meltdown to me

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 4, 2017

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Vanadium posted:

maybe efi vars shouldn't be a filesystem

what do you propose if not an os for your os

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

qhat posted:

He's not being paid so he doesn't owe you an ounce of "professionalism" you stupid oval office

p sure he works for red hat, so he is being paid

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The_Franz posted:

p sure he works for red hat, so he is being paid

Lol. Who cares.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

qhat posted:

Lol. Who cares.

not lennart, obvs

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.
Guys listen i don't like the color of this bike shed so we should just burn the house down.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

unix is broken dogshit from 1972. stop using it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sweevo posted:

unix is broken dogshit from 1972. stop using it

it's actually cool & good and so is centos linux

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lol qhat are you trying to become a discount tori cmos because we already have the genuine article

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
quote this post every time systemd continues to own while some idiot on the internet gets bent out of shape because competent developers don't want to add a bunch of special cases to save said idiot from specific instances of his own incompetence

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Sapozhnik posted:

lol qhat are you trying to become a discount tori cmos because we already have the genuine article

Idk what you're on about

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Sapozhnik posted:

quote this post every time systemd continues to own while some idiot on the internet gets bent out of shape because competent developers don't want to add a bunch of special cases to save said idiot from specific instances of his own incompetence

I agree with this post

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Lowtax thanks the mystery person for the $10 donation

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Sapozhnik posted:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Sapozhnik posted:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it has been suggested that systemd should only mount efivars writeable for a moment when it needs to change something, and then return it to read-only,

linux has loving per task mount point namespaces why in christ do they need the mount point to be available globally. just spin a task, mount efi vars, write, return status to the parent task

make the global efivars mount a read-only union over the writable one if it can't be mounted with different options twice at the same time

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sapozhnik posted:

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

hackbunny posted:

linux has loving per task mount point namespaces why in christ do they need the mount point to be available globally.

because lennart pöttering never made a mistake the kernel shouldn't have prevented

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

this thread would just be thousands of pages of this quote

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pretty good opportunity to evaluate how your life got to a point where you have an opinion about how good or bad it is to start with

should have just used make to start stuff up anyway, it was already there and ready, and it'd be all kinds of fun when people ruined their machines because they don't know how to type a tab in their editor

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you actually care about systemD beyond a lol it exists, i'm sorry.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Sapozhnik posted:

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Sapozhnik posted:

i want free systemd, as in beer

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
systemd is typically pretty useful but it does a bunch of questionable stuff (efi poo poo, defaults to google dns if it decides it doesn't like the one you configured, who knows what else) and lennart is a total dick about fixing any of it.

lol @ a guy maintaining a system that ships with every major linux distro who closes comments on github issues because :cry: the mean internet people are telling me im wrong :cry:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Arcsech posted:

systemd is typically pretty useful but it does a bunch of questionable stuff (efi poo poo, defaults to google dns if it decides it doesn't like the one you configured, who knows what else) and lennart is a total dick about fixing any of it.

lol @ a guy maintaining a system that ships with every major linux distro who closes comments on github issues because :cry: the mean internet people are telling me im wrong :cry:

Why shouldn't he close them? If you bothered to read any of the follow ups, you'd realise he actually does engage with people who propose actual fixes. Posting on serious project pages like it's a reddit post is a real easy way for getting the maintainer to ignore you in femtoseconds.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Funny how the people who call Lennart a dick are almost always attention seeking autists who are legitimately surprised that smart productive people don't want to have to deal with whatever failbrain disease it is they have.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

*finds a bug in systemd*
*writes long, autistic, whiny blog post about it instead of reporting it*

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

qhat posted:

Funny how the people who call Lennart a dick are almost always attention seeking autists who are legitimately surprised that smart productive people don't want to have to deal with whatever failbrain disease it is they have.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i gots a d bus for you right here

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qhat posted:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

more like system deez nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

thanks for the update on who cares enough about the software that starts the software that still does nothing of overt interest in their terrible os to post their opinions on it

• Locked thread