Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pram posted:

deleting your efi partition wouldnt brick your hardware

the efi nvram variables is a very different thing from the efi partition though, they get exposed as files under /sys/firmware/efi/efivars, and as noted systemd mounts them as read-write. if you delete them (e.g. the ol' accidental rm -rf on some root directory) a lot of hardware is bricked, properly irretrievably so (e.g. it has variables which record how the various buses etc. are attached, and it becomes unable to initialize anything without them)

it has been suggested that systemd should only mount efivars writeable for a moment when it needs to change something, and then return it to read-only, but the most infuriating of unhelpful oss nerd responses is trotted out on this; "it is not our problem, the hardware manufacturers should not make it possible to brick machines that way"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Tankakern posted:

again, i think this is already fixed by making important efivarfs entries immutable. but i'm just a lowly whitenoise poster, no noone notices what i write anyway!

https://lwn.net/Articles/675073/

sorry v:shobon:v

wasn't that important an issue either really, but did serve a showcase of linux software maintainers pointlessly being assholes about things, and poettering does not have the store of historic goodwill that linus does

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rather more fundamentally systemd and pulsleaudio are both pretty thoroughly irrelevant software, the only actually interesting aspect subject of discussion is the multiple facets of lack of professionalism in the linux community

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qhat posted:

They make the software largely for free don't they?

this argument is never good

it is not so much that i am asking anyone to be professional either, rather the usual twisted love for pointing out the flaws in others

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i am not saying he owes me professionalism, i am saying it is a p. fun activity to point and laugh at unprofessional idiots willingly wallowing in the poo poo shoveled by their peers. almost the point of the forum even

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pretty good opportunity to evaluate how your life got to a point where you have an opinion about how good or bad it is to start with

should have just used make to start stuff up anyway, it was already there and ready, and it'd be all kinds of fun when people ruined their machines because they don't know how to type a tab in their editor

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

thanks for the update on who cares enough about the software that starts the software that still does nothing of overt interest in their terrible os to post their opinions on it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

better give it five stars and write a little review on the ubuntu store, so more people can learn what is your favorite system launch script organization system

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Breakfast All Day posted:

its good, and because its good you dont have to care about it

one ought to at this point do a poll to see how many mac, linux, and windows users, respectively, knows what the system that starts up services and poo poo is named. it might turn out that the linux users may be the ones very busy caring. this thread being rather full of them

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i suspect even among nerds here there are fewer people who know that than knows systemd though (down to it being written by adults and just doing the fantastically simplistic thing it is for). i am not even sure it has a name, beyond the long-running daemon processes being a rather more specific thing in services, in windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

raymond chen does the same thing that lennart does in his "airtight hatchway" commentaries and nobody blasts him for it afaik

uh, no

• Locked thread