Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ADVRider is mostly populated by thin-skinned angry middle-aged white men. They’re constantly in fear of their masculinity being undermined and find a way to drop reassurances about their wisdom, strength, and skills into every thread they post in. They always seem to find themselves in real life situations where they send an offender away in tears of fear and humiliation from a vicious bon mot and a brandished firearm. The only thing more serious to them than motorcycles is posting aggressively about motorcycles on the internet. Do not make posts about hipsters, millennials, women, or homosexuals on ADVRider, because the inmates will quickly see that you are insulting them and rise up against you like a flock of Canada geese. Do not question their tales of mighty conquests over sales people, women drivers, or Harley-Davidson riders, and never don’t sign your posts. Make sure to loudly identify anything that is not manly.
Basically, it’s tvtropes but about motorcycles.

Post quotes, threads, or other outlandish poo poo that you find on ADVRider here and let’s all point and laugh at them.

Motorcycles are like women - They must be shown their place, owned, and sexualized as much as possible.

I read your post about some drunken shennanigans and it reminded me of this time I totally schooled a guy on a Harley.

Are you a real man or just a bloke? - Crosstraining Enduro Skills posted a typical video and some butts got hurt without watching the video.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I enjoyed this post and think this is good

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm actually fairly close to asking a mod to delete it because nobody responded to my whiskeyposting and now I'm embarassed.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

loving gravedigging

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I'm actually fairly close to asking a mod to delete it because nobody responded to my whiskeyposting and now I'm embarassed.

Hey now don't bring mods to this corner of SA. Own your shame.

Actually, I enjoyed your post, even if it was just one good OP. The problem with populating this thread is that it would require diving into ADVrider for posts, which would just be boring. Seriously, it's one of the driest forums to read. They have great info, though.

My main complaint is that all of ADVrider is too overweight for any of their used gear market to be useful to me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Advrider is like Reddit in my mind. It's almost always useless, but the sheer number of people there means sometimes you have to go there because some information lives only there.

I would never willingly spend time there these days though.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Would adding off road or the DOT legal offroad tires to a Buell Blast be acceptable?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

CAR TIRE BRO DARK SIDE

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
THIS IS NOT AND WILL NOT BE A DARKSIDE/OIL THREAD

If you think ADVRider is all crusty old dudes, go check out Wildguzzi sometime and be amazed at the number of threads discussing beard maintenance and suspenders.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
If you told me "Wildguzzi" was a European Grindr competitor I would have believed you.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

If you told me "Wildguzzi" was a European Grindr competitor I would have believed you.

Yeah mostly this.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Advrider is like Reddit in my mind. It's almost always useless, but the sheer number of people there means sometimes you have to go there because some information lives only there.

:hai:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
So how many people on ADVRider actually, you know, adventure ride?

I went to a used motorcycle superstore thing and saw quite a few R1200GS-es and a Super Tenere with all the hard bags a man could ever need and an odometer reading lower than midlife-crisis-special Harleys. Something tells me that there are R1s out there that have seen more dirt than some ADV bikes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well considering there is a guy who rode his R1 around the world, that's definitely true.

I feel like a lot of the advrider guys are "preppers, but with bikes". You know the guys, prepping for the apocalypse and posting endlessly on forums about what's in their bug out bag in the event of a zombie apocalypse? Tons of prep, for no action.

I think a lot of the advrider crew falls into that category. Customizing and farkling endlessly to have a bike that could take you around the world, and will, someday, when you get to it. Maybe.

I get it, for most people it's not easy to take 12+ months off work to galvant around the planet, and it is cool to have a bike that could do it, but I think there is a very large disconnect between "need" and "want" in the adv community.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Quoted for truth

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
*flicks a starbucks cup at u*

*rides away standing on the pegs*

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
It's also like Reddit in that the "post pictures of ___ threads" are pretty good as long as you ignore anything that isn't a picture.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

No punctuation, their/they're, mention of GS and HiViz in the same clause, and a weak "back in my day." Checks all the boxes. Like every good thread, only two posts until an argument starts. Also, homophobia, politics, and "maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle" all in the first page.

That Ural thread where a lot of people get really upset about Ural problems being discussed.

"Oh, a thread, let's find an excuse to put a picture of my bike in it without adding to the discussion in any way."

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
We should have a Ural vs KTM thread.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Costco was selling those Urinal's with a sidecar pretty cheap last summer.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Sidecars? More like beer keg haulers.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Advantage to Ural: can be repaired with rocks.

Disadvantage to Ural: transmission rocks surprisingly difficult to come by.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I had no idea Urals were that bad, I thought it was just an old design but one that had been figured out awhile ago. Turns out they're built by the same dudes screaming "cyka blyat" as they drunkenly jump into traffic

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The only reliable things Russia makes are mosins, ak47s, and vodka. Their only other purpose in life is to be europe's gas station.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I dunno, piroshkis are pretty awesome.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Yeah but their quality varies from one babushka to the next

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

its all nice on rice posted:

I dunno, piroshkis are pretty awesome.

Those are Ukrainian

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Fine, south Russia.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I don't really bother with any other part of ADV so I can't comment (although the comparison to reddit seems unnecessarily harsh) but ADV is THE place to go for info and coverage on the Dakar rally, the biggest longest and most dangerous motor race in the world.

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

Some of the ride reports are pretty epic. The people that ride the Magadan and Road of Bones every summer take adving about as far as you can take it.
Also a good resource for everything GPS related.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

To be clear, I occasionally post on ADVRider and also view it as the most up-to-date and comprehensive source of information on things like thumpers, gear, road conditions, gadgets, etc. But there's too great a supply of stupid poo poo to laugh at to not make mention of it.

Like Like that thread where they found Bullshit Hipster Bike Videos and a bunch of guys got real butthurt.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I like the stickers available at the site linked to in the first post:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Something_Terrible, the lesser quality SA clone.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

elsanto posted:

Some of the ride reports are pretty epic. The people that ride the Magadan and Road of Bones every summer take adving about as far as you can take it.
Also a good resource for everything GPS related.

Is there a way to filter posts in a thread by user? I haven't been on ADV in years, but remember seeing some reports that looked amazing... but scrolling through 4 pages of white noise comments and emojis between posts was just :effort:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Is there a way to filter posts in a thread by user? I haven't been on ADV in years, but remember seeing some reports that looked amazing... but scrolling through 4 pages of white noise comments and emojis between posts was just :effort:

you can search by posts by a specific user if you know their name, but AFAIK there's no way to filter by them in a given thread

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

25% of advrider posted:

You must be a young pup, yes? Back in my day, 60's-80's, Yamahas were yellow.

I've seen this exact post, barely any words changed, 4-6 times in just the last day of browsing. Ugh. What possesses people to relish playing the "old" card, and why do they think it's not alienating and weird to do so. You can just say "I enjoyed the blah blah era of motorcycle, where they had x colors" and leave it at that.

Between that and gross discussions of frequent piss stops, I don't even know what to do with them.

ADVrider is loaded with info, and well informed people that are happy to go into detail on your problem, though. They sorted me out on my DR650 popping in minutes, even if there isn't a fix for it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
The flea market over there is usually decent too - I've managed to sell a fair amount of used gear there, and when I've posted bikes there the people responding to the listings were far more coherent than the average Craigslist-er. Just make sure you follow the posting rules to a T and never, ever mention Craigslist or they will nuke your ad instantly. "I have this listed locally" is fine, "I have this posted locally on Craigslist" = boom.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I had no idea about the craigslist part. Good tip. Their classifieds section really is ridiculously good. I got a jacket from another user that ended up not fitting so I reposted it. Sold within the hour and had it shipped that afternoon.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

I've seen this exact post, barely any words changed, 4-6 times in just the last day of browsing. Ugh. What possesses people to relish playing the "old" card, and why do they think it's not alienating and weird to do so. You can just say "I enjoyed the blah blah era of motorcycle, where they had x colors" and leave it at that.

That's the drat truth, and always turns into a discussion about how terrible young people are now and kids don't play outside and they all want trophies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Do not question their tales of mighty conquests over sales people, women drivers, or Harley-Davidson riders

Let's be fair here, sometimes they're not Harley riders:

quote:

Reminds me of the day I walked into Cycle Gear to pick up something or another. One of the superbikes was parked in front. Its rider was easily identified by the one piece track suit with knee pucks holding a $1,000 helmet. As I walked past he mutter in one of those stage voices intended to carry but at whisper pitch "stupid scooter riders wearing no protection". 

The shock on his face when I turned and knocked on my hoodie shoulder saying "Kevlar lined fully armored hoodie", pointed to my jeans "Kevlar", then down to my suede high tops "TXC riding shoes complete with ankle armor, full face Nolan N43 helmet and gloves in the top case. Just because someone doesn't where a track suit for tooling around inside the city doesn't mean they aren't wearing protective gear."

As I continued over to get whatever it was I came in for the guy still had his mouth hanging open