Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Its Miller Time posted:

1 Anything worth doing in Severodvinsk or nearby. We'll be going up to her family's dacha from there so we'll get that...rustic experience. Also does anyone know if foreign tourists still need a special permit for the city? Wikipedia says yes, her family says no.

It seems to still be a closed city, but OTOH it might be like Schengen border controls: theoretically they exist, but if you're a local you know to just go to a minor side-road between countries, and not take the main highway entrance, and you will never be checked. The town's own (official?) websites say it is closed to foreigners ( http://www.sevska.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1020 and http://www.severodvinsk.info/pr/670/) though both are from 2009 and I didn't find anything newer.

OTOH wikipedia seems to say that it is no longer a closed city ( link ) but it doesn't list a citation.

I found a thread with people talking about closed cities ( http://www.zheldor.info/forums/index.php?showtopic=9297&page=3 ) and it seems that some cities are "more closed" than others, like Norilsk. Another thread talks about it in 2007 ( link ) that documents are not checked, so long as you're not checking into a hotel (which you're not) nor stopped by police (hope not). No personal experience, was just curious if I could figure it out. Does your fiancées family actually have any experience of ever welcoming non-Russian visitors? Anyway, from those two forum threads it sounds like you can probably just drive into town no problem unless you're exceptionally unlucky and get stopped by cops, and her family would know if that's a common occurrence or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

webmeister posted:

If your wife leaves America on her US passport, enters and leaves Russia on her Russian passport, then re-enters the US on her American passport she will be fine.

This is the recommended/legal way to enter and leave all countries to which you are a citizen, with the possible exception of Europeans who are citizens of two EU countries. (Like if you're an Italian-French citizen, flying out of Paris, does it matter which passport you use?)

That said if you don't do it it's not like you'll be arrested or fined, you'll just get an immigration person maybe yell at you if they notice.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

OWLS! posted:

Wikipedia is out of date [re: Severodvinsk being a closed city]. The town has been opened up so you don't need a permit. Generally look up "closed cities", and in this case, that status no longer applies.
As for what to do, the place used to build Nuclear subs during the cold war, so I would imagine there's some stuff around that. The museum will probably be worth visiting at the very least.

Out of curiosity, how did you find it has opened up? I probably spent an hour looking way back when he started this thread (just out of curiosity) and could not find anything official dated newer than 2009, and a handful of forum posts where people said it was still technically closed but that enforcement is lax to nonexistent. I couldn't find anything new on their official town website and none of the sources on the RU language wikipedia actually link to government lists except for a handful of towns.

If OP comes back [edit: to this thread], I'm curious to hear how it went!

• Locked thread