Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I don't know poo poo about Standard but Chart a Course did work for me at the IXN prerelease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

I don't know poo poo about Standard but Chart a Course did work for me at the IXN prerelease.

It is a fukkkkkkkin great card that's why! The only reason it's in the maybe pile is because Curious Obsession looks like a house of a card

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Do you have many one-drops in the deck? Turn 1 critter, turn 2 swing and then cast Chart seems rad. Obsession is more likely to net you cards when you're already ahead too, since you have to connect in order to draw.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Do you have many one-drops in the deck? Turn 1 critter, turn 2 swing and then cast Chart seems rad. Obsession is more likely to net you cards when you're already ahead too, since you have to connect in order to draw.

list is currently at 6 one drops, but everything in the deck flies so connecting with obsession is very easy.

Edit: I've been considering cutting the spells down to 4 winds, 3 obsession, 2 spell pierce (or lookouts dipersal) in the main and running 30 creatures, and radiant destiny out of the board as a 2 of. That would involve cutting the 1 mana vampires, for more 2 drops.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 18, 2018

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I wonder if the old R/U Thopters list still has gas, it lost nothing from the bans.

Shielded Aether Thief
Whirler Virtuoso
Aethersphere Harvester
Maverick Thopterist
Harnessed Lightning
Decoction Module
Fabrication Module
Saheeli Rai
Glimmer of Genius

I forget the rest but its just energy and flyers and occasionally you go infinite

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
I don't have a list, but it feels like there has to be some kind of aristocraty Black (maybe green with the new flip enchantment) deck.

Some of the cards that look good:
Bontu's Monument
Bontu
Chupacabra
Jadelight Ranger
Dire Fleet Hoarder
Ruthless Knave
Yahenni, Undying Partisan
Oathsworn Vampire
Journey to Eternity

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

moush posted:

I don't have a list, but it feels like there has to be some kind of aristocraty Black (maybe green with the new flip enchantment) deck.

Some of the cards that look good:
Bontu's Monument
Bontu
Chupacabra
Jadelight Ranger
Dire Fleet Hoarder
Ruthless Knave
Yahenni, Undying Partisan
Oathsworn Vampire
Journey to Eternity

You could go junk, the g/b flip enchatnment with a sac outlet and chupacabra seems pretty okay. removal every turn.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/899314

First draft, not sure what green/white cards would help the deck at the moment. I should probably fit in some Marionette Master's because it kind of has a treasure sub-theme. Man I wish we had a Blood Artist/Cutthroat that was legal, then Oathsworn Vampire would be insane.

moush fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 18, 2018

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

moush posted:

Someone on reddit cooked up a deck along those lines and there's a lot of discussion there.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
So, I fully admit that I am not the best player or deck builder. I'm probably better at modifying existing decks. I've been looking at what's been happening with the super aggressive with Raumnap gone. Then I realized that nearly all the creatures the deck wants to play have first strike or haste.

Which means you can gently caress up combat math on people by splashing white and running some number of Path of Mettle. And you can flip it to do 2 damage repeatedly.

Here's an early thought on it.

Deck: Haste of Mettle

//Lands
4 Inspiring Vantage
11 Mountain
2 Plains
2 Scavenger Grounds
4 Sunscorched Desert

//Spells
3 Abrade
2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
4 Lightning Strike
2 Magma Spray
3 Path of Mettle
2 Shock

//Creatures
2 Ahn-Crop Crasher
4 Bomat Courier
3 Dire Fleet Daredevil
4 Earthshaker Khenra
3 Fanatical Firebrand
3 Hazoret the Fervent
2 Kari Zev, Skyship Raider

//Sideboard
2 Chandra's Defeat
2 Magma Spray
3 Blazing Volley
3 Cut // Ribbons
1 Abrade
2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
2 Glorybringer

Display deck statistics

Incomplete sideboard, I know. But the horrible games for ramunap always happened to be the ones where someone either gained a ton of life from an enchantment, or dropped Authority of the Consuls. The white splash allows for enchantment removal.

Like I said, I'm kind of an idiot, but it's not an expensive switchover from mono red.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

YeehawMcKickass posted:

So, I fully admit that I am not the best player or deck builder. I'm probably better at modifying existing decks. I've been looking at what's been happening with the super aggressive with Raumnap gone. Then I realized that nearly all the creatures the deck wants to play have first strike or haste.

Which means you can gently caress up combat math on people by splashing white and running some number of Path of Mettle. And you can flip it to do 2 damage repeatedly.

You know what makes lots of poo poo for Path of Mettle?

Oketra's Monument.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I like the thinking, but it feels like a lot of do nothing considering the rest of the deck.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

You know what makes lots of poo poo for Path of Mettle?

Oketra's Monument.

Maybe there's a deck with oketra's monument and radiant destiny naming warriors.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I like the thinking, but it feels like a lot of do nothing considering the rest of the deck.

You would be correct.

Another note: I would not maindeck Daredevil. The deck should either be throwing creatures out or dumping mana into a flipped Mettle. You (hopefully) won't have mana to spare to get random, not always possible, value from your opponent's grave. Also, Sunscorched Desert is kind of a wasted slot in a deck without Ruins. You're going to get mana screwed if you play needless colorless lands.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

You would be correct.

Another note: I would not maindeck Daredevil. The deck should either be throwing creatures out or dumping mana into a flipped Mettle. You (hopefully) won't have mana to spare to get random, not always possible, value from your opponent's grave. Also, Sunscorched Desert is kind of a wasted slot in a deck without Ruins. You're going to get mana screwed if you play needless colorless lands.

Yeah, Daredevil feels more like a sideboard card than anything else. I've got most of this together in paper and daredevil has been pretty blah. Sunscorched is better in a mono-red situation. -4 suncorched, +2 mountain +2 plains. -3 Daredevil, + 1 Firebrand +1 Crasher +1 shock (because I don't have any more crashers).

Also can't tell if three or four is correct on the Mettle.

YeehawMcKickass fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 22, 2018

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Someone already figured it out:

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=118274

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

uninverted posted:

Maybe there's a deck with oketra's monument and radiant destiny naming warriors.

Actually, WR warriors seems quite good with all the warriors that have exert abilities.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Turns out that Dire Fleet Daredevil is just a better overall card for that R/W path of mettle deck than practically all the other options. The Raptor the published lists call for goldfishes great, but plays horribly in reality. DFD may have less power and toughness, but the first strike means it brawls a bit better early, it's easier on the mana, and the ability is way more relevant in the middle/late game.

There really aren't that many other good options in the 2 slot. Sky Terror is ok, but doesn't activate PoM. There a 2/1 haste dino, but French vanilla there.

My meta is forming up to be a bunch of control and Gate decks, I'm going to have to skews my sideboard a bit to dealing with graveyards and enchantments.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I just knocked together a quick BW Vampire standard deck in MTGO to try some stuff out. This comes from memory, and it's 61 cards so there's at least one mistake but the thrust of it is right:

//Main
//Creatures
4 Adanto Vanguard
4 Legion Lieutenant
3 Mavren Fein, Dusk Apostle
4 Metallic Mimic
4 Skymarcher Aspirant
2 Yahenni, Undying Partisan
3 Angel of Invention
2 Gifted Aetherborn

//Enchantment
4 Legion's Landing
3 Cast Out
4 Radiant Destiny
2 Thopter Arrest

//Land
4 Concealed Courtyard
4 Forsaken Sanctuary
4 Plains
4 Shefet Dunes
4 Unclaimed Territory
2 Scavenger Grounds

//Sideboard
4 Fatal Push

//Maybeboard
4 Martyr of Dusk
2 Twilight Prophet
Elenda, the Dusk Rose

I've not gone against any of the "proper" decks yet but the curve and speed seem okay, need to test against something with more removal. I think The angels can go now, they are a carry over from the white vampire deck of Ixalan standard and I think Lieutenant mitigates the need for it, although it can be good to have for City's Blessing.

There's also a bit of a disconnect between my exile-based removal (which are enchantments to help Blessing again) and Yahenni, who should be one of my heavy hitters. Something that crossed my mind was using Trial of Ambition and Cartouche of Solidarity for how it again helps get City's Blessing. Trial of Solidarity is good for the go-wide strategy, I just don't know if the cost is justified.

I've also not had the mana come out wonky or got an early Gifted Aetherborn yet, the land base was part of my initial concern for the deck.

I think it could be fun, but really need to throw it at the serious existing decks to see if it's worth the time.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Revised list. Still working on it but much better, Forerunner is a beast! Bishop of Rebirth is an experiment and I've only cast it once so far, but it was pretty impressive combined with resing a Lieutenant or Forerunner.

Deck: Rivals Standard BW Vampires

//Creatures
4 Skymarcher Aspirant
4 Metallic Mimic
4 Adanto Vanguard
4 Legion Lieutenant
3 Forerunner of the Legion
2 Mavren Fein, Dusk Apostle
1 Yahenni, Undying Partisan
2 Sanctum Seeker
2 Twilight Prophet
1 Bishop of Rebirth

//Enchantments
3 Legion's Landing
2 Ixalan's Binding
2 Radiant Destiny

//Spells
3 Fatal Push

//Land
4 Concealed Courtyard
1 Forsaken Sanctuary
4 Unclaimed Territory
2 Ifnir Deadlands
4 Shefet Dunes
2 Scavenger Grounds
3 Swamp
3 Plains

//Sideboard
1 Elenda, the Dusk Rose
3 Duress
1 Fatal Push
2 Dusk // Dawn
2 Champion of Dusk
2 Vona's Hunger
2 Forsake the Worldly
2 Ixalan's Binding

Display deck statistics

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Ouch, no posts since February?

I'm running an upgrade version of the Second Sun Control challenger deck
Deck: Second Sun Control

//Main
2 Abandoned Sarcophagus
3 Approach of the Second Sun
4 Cast Out
4 Censor
4 Countervailing Winds
1 Desert of the Mindful
1 Desert of the True
3 Drake Haven
2 Field of Ruin
3 Fumigate
3 Glacial Fortress
2 Glimmer of Genius
4 Hieroglyphic Illumination
2 Ipnu Rivulet
4 Irrigated Farmland
7 Island
4 Plains
4 Renewed Faith
3 Settle the Wreckage

//Sideboard
2 Crook of Condemnation
2 Glyph Keeper
1 Kefnet the Mindful
4 Negate
4 Regal Caracal
2 Spell Pierce

Display deck statistics

And I'm wondering about Dominaria upgrades. I've got a short list of cards I'm looking at, and would appreciate some feedback on what people think. In no particular order:

Baird, Steward of Argive: Propaganda on a stick, but I feel like it'll just eat creature removal in game 1. Lukewarm as a SB option?
Merfolk Trickster: Flash creature, tapper, and removes abilities, but there aren't a ton of non-ETB abilities in my meta. Cold on it, but notable just because I'm considering it.
Precognition Field: Card draw and filtering, but I feel like 4 mana is too expensive. Cold.
Seal Away: A conditional Cast Out for half the price, but it loses the cycling. I'm having trouble judging how much a downside the tapped creature only clause is going to be. Very warm.
Syncopate: Not strictly better than Censor since it lacks cycling, but I feel like the deck can take the hit. Very warm.
Teferi, Hero of Dominaria: A planeswalker with three great abilities, but I feel like the deck can't protect him. Warm?
The Mirari Conjecture: Potential to insta-win, and helps set up the Second Sun, but feels expensive, slow, and hella cutesy. Lukewarm as a possible SB option for control matches, but I've already got negates.
Time of Ice: 4 mana for two Take Into Custodys and a slow bad Cyclonic Rift... I'm keen on it, but other people don't think it's good enough. Very Warm, but maybe I'm bad.

The next cards are more being considered together as part of a change in deck theme. I don't think it'll fit alongside the cycling theme, but possibly a replacement.
Traxos, Scourge of Kroog: More adding it as a potential finisher, especially if the deck has a density of artifacts.
Icy Manipulator: In the match-ups where I want reoccurring taps, 4/5 mana is very important and I don't think it competes on it's own.
Powerstone Shard: Potential for massive acceleration, but pretty weak in the singular. Maybe with Precognition Field or Syncopate could be the mana sink.
Voltaic Servant: LOTS of potential combos if it's part of a strong artifact theme.

And the mana base:
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=443137: I feel like there's some room for greed in my mana base, possibly as a replacement for the Desert of the True/Pure.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 20, 2018

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Tibalt posted:

The Mirari Conjecture: Potential to insta-win, and helps set up the Second Sun, but feels expensive, slow, and hella cutesy. Lukewarm as a possible SB option for control matches, but I've already got negates.

Just as an side, this doesn't create an insta-win.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Mezzanon posted:

Just as an side, this doesn't create an insta-win.
Copying second sun wouldn't win? Why not? Not that I don't believe you, just want to know what mistake I'm making in the rules.

Edit: D'oh. Copies aren't cast from your hand. Although couldn't you stack it so the copy resolves first?
Edit edit: Double d'oh. You've got to cast the FIRST second sun as well.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 20, 2018

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Tibalt posted:

Copying second sun wouldn't win? Why not? Not that I don't believe you, just want to know what mistake I'm making in the rules.

Edit: D'oh. Copies aren't cast from your hand. Although couldn't you stack it so the copy resolves first?
Edit edit: Double d'oh. You've got to cast the FIRST second sun as well.

I went through this exact line of thought too when I first saw the conjecture

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

At least I wasn't alone!

Having played with the cards a little on xmage... Seal Away is very good, Teferi is very good. The version I've been testing started with Brennan DeCandio's article as a base, but I've been playing fast and loose with what's going in and coming out of the deck.

I was right that protecting Teferi is very difficult, but an Unexpectedly Absent that leaves behind a PW seems to be good enough when under pressure, and a card draw that leaves mana up for Negate/Essence Scatter/Seal Away helps keep you in control if you're ahead. Seal Away is just a good card, mostly functioning as an Immolating Glare. The exile effect and ability to cast it outside the combat step more than outweigh the risk of enchantment removal - we'll see if people start maindecking Naturalize or Thrashing Brontodons in green decks, and whether that changes the equation.

Surprisingly tough cards to beat that I saw were Knight of Malice (White Hexproof removes a lot of answers), Shalai, Voice of Plenty (demands an answer by itself, but I saw it combo with Helm of the Host), and Steel Leaf Champion (a 5/4 on turn 3 demands an immediate answer, and the super-standard mana bases seem to easily support the GGG, even in three color decks).

There was also a B/W Knights deck that I faced, but I don't think the version I faced was the optimal list. It shows some potential, but doesn't quite seem to come together yet.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 21, 2018

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Speaking of Approach decks, I'm still looking into playing Bant Ramp Approach with Dominaria coming in. Originally from the Jim Davis version on StarCityGames: http://www.starcitygames.com/events/coverage/deck_tech_bant_approach_with_j.html

Here is what I have as a list to work from so far:

Deck: Bant Approach Ramp DOM

//Main
4 Approach of the Second Sun
4 Cast Out
1 Commit // Memory
3 Fumigate
2 Grow from the Ashes
4 Hour of Promise
4 Seal Away
2 Search for Azcanta
4 Settle the Wreckage
3 Spring // Mind
1 Teferi, Hero of Dominaria
3 Thaumatic Compass

//Land
1 Arch of Orazca
2 Botanical Sanctum
1 Desert of the Indomitable
1 Desert of the True
1 Field of Ruin
2 Forest
1 Hashep Oasis
3 Ipnu Rivulet
2 Island
2 Plains
2 Scattered Groves
2 Scavenger Grounds
1 Shefet Dunes
4 Sunpetal Grove

//Sideboard
3 Authority of the Consuls
2 Carnage Tyrant
2 Desert's Hold
1 Ixalan's Binding
1 Naturalize
3 Negate
3 Regal Caracal

Display deck statistics

I can't think of a good reason to keep Baffling End in the deck when Seal Away exists, so those are replaced.
Grow from the Ashes seems like it will scale up better than Gift of Paradise when drawn on turn 4+.
Ixalan's Binding certainly seems like it could be a huge blowout, especially against Scarab God, but I've opted to go back into a full set of Cast Out for the versatility of Flash and Cycling.
Generally tried to force towards as many 4x as possible, but had limited success on that front anyways. Getting spread out across a bunch of 2-ofs or 3-ofs seemed like a bad choice for efficiency in a deck with a sorcery win condition.
One Teferi because I'm not sure what to cut to get a second or third in.

I do see some of the MTGO lists ran Walking Ballista, but not sure if that is a good choice. It would be another win condition with a lot of versatility, but also any easy target for any Fatal Push/Abrade languishing in an opponents hand.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Decided to sketch out a Rat Colony deck

Deck: Bad Rats

//Main
20 Rat Colony
4 Llanowar Elves

4 Bontu's Monument
4 Lifecrafter's Bestiary

2 Driven // Despair

2 Blossoming Defense
4 Heroic Intervention

4 Blooming Marsh
5 Forest
7 Swamp
4 Woodland Cemetery

//Sideboard
2 Blossoming Defense
3 Broken Bond
3 Cast Down
3 Divest
3 Duress
1 Fatal Push

Display deck statistics

Does anyone have any thoughts on this pile? I'd love to try and sneak in 2x Testsuo Umezawa, Fugitive but I don't really have the room in the deck (and I don't really have the cash to buy all the required lands). So I'm running Driven // Despair instead. Elves are mostly just more Bontu's Monuments, but will also pay for Lifecrafter's Bestiary. I think I need to cut something for one or two more lands, but I'm having issues deciding what needs to leave. The board is probably also bad; please advise.

Ideal curve of T1 BG Land, Elf > T2 Swamp, Bontu's Monument > T3 Swamp, Rat Rat Rat (drain 3) (holding up mana for Blossoming Defense) > T4 Rat (drain 1), swing for 16 (holding up mana for Heroic Intervention). Doesn't feel too Christmassy to me.

Started sketching out a BGu Brawl deck on the same lines:

Commander: Muldrotha, the Gravetide

20x Rat Colony
Llanowar Elves
Servant of the Conduit
Channeler Initiate
Drover of the Mighty
Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive (Win con)

Lifecrafter's Bestiary (Draw engine)
Bontu's Monument (Discount rats, drain opponents)
Vanquisher's Banner (Expensive, but good if it gets that far - non-bo with Tetsuko, but the draw effect is too good to pass up)

Shapers' Sanctuary (Bad draw engine, but helps against 1-for-1 removal)
Song of Freyalise (Ramp, fix, win con)

Blossoming Defense
Cast Down
Fatal Push
Heroic Intervention

Overcome
Driven // Despair
Uncage the Menagerie (2GG - get Tetsuko and either slow fixing for Tetsuko or another Rat).

22x Lands (mixed)

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 23, 2018

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Death of Rats posted:

Decided to sketch out a Rat Colony deck

Deck: Bad Rats
Not a bad little brew, but terribly weak to Settle the Wreckage or token strategies. I would suggest taking a look at Metallic Mimic and possibly Throne of the God-Emperor, or maybe Walking Ballista as a place to sink mana from lands. Probably wouldn't materially improve the deck, though - I feel like you're pretty close to the ideal already. Seems fun!

Final deck list for tomorrow's tournament:
Deck: Second Sun Cycling
//Main
3 Settle the Wreckage
3 Fumigate
3 Seal Away
3 Cast Out
3 Glacial Fortress
2 Ipnu Rivulet
3 Approach of the Second Sun
2 Field of Ruin
2 Search for Azcanta
3 Drake Haven
6 Island
4 Plains
3 Zhalfirin Void
4 Countervailing Winds
2 Renewed Faith
4 Censor
4 Hieroglyphic Illumination
4 Irrigated Farmland
2 Abandoned Sarcophagus
//Sideboard
1 Seal Away
1 Cast Out
3 Negate
4 Regal Caracal
2 Spell Pierce
2 Glyph Keeper
2 Crook of Condemnation
Display deck statistics

It would probably be improved by a couple of copies of Karn and Teferi but 1.) They're expensive right now, and 2.) I haven't quite figured out how to fit them into the deck yet.

I started recording some match-up and quick thoughts. This testing was all on XMage, which tends to have players who are trying out wacky homebrews, are bad at magic, or both - it's probably not representative of what I'll actually see
B/R Aggro: 2-0, Seal Away makes this deck a lot stronger verses the aggressive red decks, especially Hazoret and Scrapheap Scrounger.
Mono-Green Ramp: 2-1, a rough match-up that might lead to me putting Essence Scatter in the SB, but Seal Away on mana elves and Censor can disrupt green's potentially explosive start
Mono-Blue Aggro: 2-1, aggro strategies with blue are extremely tough, especially in game 2 after they bring in Negates to turn off your best win cons.
G/B Lich's Mastery: 2-0, If this is a real deck (I'm doubtful), it feels like a real underdog in this matchup
U/R Wizards: 1-2, similar to the mono-blue aggro match up, feels like a tough match-up in game one that gets worse in game 2. Also, my early guess for the most likely 'real' deck after Amonkhet rotates out.

Some thoughts on decks that I didn't face: Mono-Red Aggro and God-Pharaoh's Gift. Seal Away significantly improves the match-up against Hazoret Red, even when it's not in your hand. As for GPG, I feel like it wasn't significantly helped by Dominaria, and the prevalence of hate is going to reduce its popularity. That said, I'm not taking Crook out of the SB any time soon. GPG is very popular in the local scene, so I'll probably have a better answer tomorrow.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Tibalt posted:

Not a bad little brew, but terribly weak to Settle the Wreckage or token strategies. I would suggest taking a look at Metallic Mimic and possibly Throne of the God-Emperor, or maybe Walking Ballista as a place to sink mana from lands. Probably wouldn't materially improve the deck, though - I feel like you're pretty close to the ideal already. Seems fun!

I did consider Throne of the God-Pharaoh with a couple of vehicles as a side plan to Driven//Despair (I did the same thing to moderate success during a short foray into Amonkhet standard); I might two thrones, two Heart of Kirans and like one other vehicle into the sideboard as an out against Settle the Wreckage and Urza's Ruinous Blast . (Though Lifecrafter's Bestiary does really good work with the extra mana from Settle; so maybe I don't worry too hard about that). I can't warrant Metallic Mimic or Walking Ballista though - I don't think I'll be playing enough Standard this year to pay that much for cards.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I've been playing a BG deck in arena with explore creatures accelerating me through the deck and losing the yard ahead of getting Liliana or Vraska out, or just a blowout Tetzimoc or Scaled Behemoth (would be Carnage Tyrant if I could get a wildcard for it) It seems to work well and it got me thinking about a standard version and perhaps having Muldrotha from Dominara. Does such a deck demand Scarab God or can I get away without it, more recurring creatures rather than exile them?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Scarab god can do most of what Muldrotha can do for you for cheaper on a more resilient platform. He's silly good and recurring etb creatures like explore and chupacabras and whatnot love him. Muldrotha can return one permanent on your turn, but it does say "permanent" so if you have some enchantments or lands you want back you can get it. If I had to choose I'd Scarab God until rotation puts him out.

You can get away without him some what if you put in recovers. It isn't the fastest card but it replaces itself while giving you another cast of your dead etb critter of choice.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Scarab god can do most of what Muldrotha can do for you for cheaper on a more resilient platform. He's silly good and recurring etb creatures like explore and chupacabras and whatnot love him. Muldrotha can return one permanent on your turn, but it does say "permanent" so if you have some enchantments or lands you want back you can get it. If I had to choose I'd Scarab God until rotation puts him out.

Note that muldrotha is one card of each type per turn. So you can play a land AND a creature AND a cast out, etc.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Yeah, that's true. You could retrieve a spent song of freyalise or cartouche or something.

I've been looking at a similar deck and I've been thinking about working in some Supernatural Staminas. Ultimately does a similar thing to recover (replay etb, after a chump or something) but trades drawing a card and flexibility for being much cheaper. I'm not sure if it's the best idea since the deck needs card draw anyway but it's interesting.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 26, 2018

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
I feel like there has to be some kind of deck built around Lich's Mastery and lifegain, Battle at the Bridge + Cabal Stronghold work great together. It might be better go splash white for more access to lifegain, but I like the feel of the mono black control list. Here's what I have so far:

Deck: Mono Black Lich's Mastery

//Lands
3 Cabal Stronghold
22 Swamp

//Spells
3 Battle at the Bridge
1 Cast Down
1 Dark Bargain
1 Duress
2 Essence Extraction
1 Karn, Scion of Urza
2 Lich's Mastery
1 Mastermind's Acquisition
3 Moment of Craving
1 Razaketh's Rite
4 Vraska's Contempt

//Creatures
1 Demonlord Belzenlok
4 Dread Shade
4 Gifted Aetherborn
1 Gonti, Lord of Luxury
2 Josu Vess, Lich Knight
2 Ravenous Chupacabra
1 Walking Ballista

Display deck statistics

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
What's your plan for the shade? I haven't used him yet but people seem pretty down on him.

So I want to speed up the G/B deck archetype before I build it because the -1 counters deck durdles and dies. We got the Constrictor Challenger deck and it just seems to fall apart and die against anything with removal.

Is fungal infection actually a Good Card? Lots of decks are going to run llanowar elves, skirk prospectors and so on to get going, so kicking their ramp over and getting saprolings on the board faster should be good, yes? It's a decent combat trick that helps your slow, derpy tempo a little, even if it doesn't really solve your flyer problem.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
The Shade is both an early threat they need to worry about and a mana sink. I think he's fine in a mono black deck.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

We cool with Arena decks right? I'm having a lot of fun with this, but might need to tweek some numbers yet. I'm not actually running this version yet, I need more wildcards to fill out the landbase.

// Deck: Sultai Reanimator (60)

// Lands
4 Drowned Catacomb
2 Evolving Wilds
2 Fetid Pools
2 Field of Ruin
2 Forest
4 Hinterland Harbor
2 Island
2 Swamp
4 Woodland Cemetery

// Creatures
2 Champion of Wits
2 Hostage Taker
2 Jadelight Ranger
4 Merfolk Branchwalker
2 Muldrotha, the Gravetide
4 Seekers' Squire
1 The Scarab God
2 Thrashing Brontodon
1 Vizier of the Menagerie
4 Wildgrowth Walker

// Spells
2 Liliana, Death's Majesty
1 Path of Discovery
2 Phyrexian Scriptures
4 Supreme Will
2 Vicious Offering
1 Vraska, Relic Seeker

Lots of strong synergies, like Path of Discovery with the planeswalkers, explore with Vizier.

Not totally sure about not having Ravenous Chupacabra, Hostage Taker is fantastic but can come undone if they have removal, at least before I can cast the taken card myself.

Might try this in standard too, so welcome suggestions of God Kaladesh cards for it. Perhaps should have some artifacts to maximize Muldrotha.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
It's probably not statistically optimal but I like Siren's Ruse with Hostake Taker and Chupacabra. It flashes both for another etb and replaces itself when used on the taker. Not optimal if you haven't cast the hostage yet but eh.

Edit: Consider Helm of the Host.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

It's probably not statistically optimal but I like Siren's Ruse with Hostake Taker and Chupacabra. It flashes both for another etb and replaces itself when used on the taker. Not optimal if you haven't cast the hostage yet but eh.

Edit: Consider Helm of the Host.

That crossed my mind just now! Between consistency and grindy persistence that might work! Ruse might be a bit narrow for the cost, but I have a lot of ETBs. But I mostly exploit that by letting them die and bringing them back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
You've got 14 creatures with ETB, it could be a super flexible card depending on what you want and what's going on. Blank removal attempts, cycle through your deck faster with Champ, explore all day and make the Wildgrowth boys work, chump block for no loss, whatever. Chupacabra in the sideboard could be brutal against midrangey creature decks. It's basically what my GF won our sealed league with minus the Hour of Devastation stuff.

You could see "The Droop" happen every game one when the opponent realized that her stuff could die all day but that Ghalta or Elenda were only going to live for one turn.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 29, 2018

• Locked thread