Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Am I crazy for adding Dynavolt Towers to Jund Gods? It seems to give it more game against Zombies and against aggro matchups. I'm slowly leaning towards more Aethersphere Harvester over Heart of Kiran, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
So this thread is mostly dead but I need some advice on manabase.

//Lands
4 Aether Hub
4 Evolving Wilds
4 Forest
3 Fortified Village
1 Mountain
2 Needle Spires
1 Plains
2 Timber Gorge

//Spells
3 Aethersphere Harvester
4 Attune with Aether
2 Blossoming Defense
2 Cast Out
3 Declaration in Stone
2 Dynavolt Tower
2 Harnessed Lightning

//Creatures
4 Bristling Hydra
2 Glorybringer
3 Hazoret the Fervent
2 Longtusk Cub
2 Rhonas the Indomitable
4 Servant of the Conduit
4 Voltaic Brawler

//Sideboard
SB: 2 Blessed Alliance
SB: 1 Cast Out
SB: 1 Cut // Ribbons
SB: 1 Declaration in Stone
SB: 3 Incendiary Flow
SB: 2 Lifecrafter's Bestiary
SB: 2 Prowling Serpopard
SB: 1 Radiant Flames
SB: 2 Sweltering Suns

That is my current list. Note the budget mana right now. If I wanted to upgrade the same list to a good landbase with no limit on budget, what would work for 21 lands and 4 Attune with Aether?

I'm thinking:
4 Aether Hub
3 Inspiring Vantage
2 Cinder Glade
1 Game Trail
2 Fortified Village
2 Needle Spires
5 Forest
1 Plains
1 Mountain

Sources:
Green - 14
Red - 13
White - 12

I have no experience doing this kind of thing so I'm a little lost. Any advice?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I've been playing this or something like it in Standard post Marvel ban and I'm on an absolute tear with it. Placed first for the first time ever in the local Standard event last week. Well, it was only three rounds, but it's just a super-fun deck that doesn't play fair at any point.

Deck: Grixis Tempo

//Lands
4 Aether Hub
2 Choked Estuary
4 Evolving Wilds
3 Island
2 Mountain
2 Smoldering Marsh
4 Spirebluff Canal
1 Sunken Hollow
1 Swamp

//Spells
2 Brutal Expulsion
1 Commit // Memory //
3 Fevered Visions
4 Harnessed Lightning
1 Kozilek's Return
3 Lay Bare the Heart

//Creatures
2 Bone Picker
1 Distended Mindbender
4 Elder Deep-Fiend
4 Glint-Sleeve Siphoner
2 Glorybringer
2 Glyph Keeper
2 Gonti, Lord of Luxury
2 Scrapheap Scrounger
4 Whirler Virtuoso

//Sideboard
1 Distended Mindbender
1 Fevered Visions
3 Kozilek's Return
3 Magma Spray
3 Negate
2 Reduce // Rubble //
2 Sweltering Suns

Display deck statistics

Basically, stick a threat, blow up everything on the other side of the board, finish with Elder Deep-Fiend if things start to get out of control. The flood of cards from an unanswered Glint-Sleeve or Fevered Visions is straight gas against many decks, and the format is kind of slow right now.

I'm not 100% sold on Distended Mindbender, Glyph Keeper, or Scrapheap Scrounger yet, but they're fun to play at least. Conceivably I could see 3-4 Glorybringers over Glyph Keeper, replace the Mindbenders with sideboard Transgress the Mind, maybe another Bone Picker MD. The control matchup is perhaps the toughest, though, and Mindbenders with the on-cast trigger are brutal there.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Mezzanon posted:

So I've been tempted to make u/w tempo list for when rotation hits. I have the cards for jeskai gifts for standard. But spoilers have really been tempting me with a flying tempo deck. So this is what I have outlined so far:

Jeskai tempo theoretical deck

Creatures: (around 26)

4x Siren Stormtamer
4x rw 2/2 flying menace dino
4x Storm Fleet Aerialist
4x Nimble Obstructionist
4x Aven Mindcensor
4x Dreamcaller Siren
2x Angel of Invention

Spells: (around 14-18)
4x Spell Pierce
4x Favorable Winds
4x Lightning Strike
4x Chart a Course
2x Heart of Kiran

Land: (22-ish)
4x Spirebluff Canal
3x Inspiring Vantage
4x Irrigated Farmland
4x glacial fortress
Any other relevant duals?
Mix of basics

Sideboard:
- removal
- counterspells (maybe the pierces should go in here and have generalist counters in for now, may e Lookouts Dispersal?)
- mass path

Options:

- storm fleet aerialist is probably the weakest card on the list, but if I run lookouts dispersal in the main it definitely makes that better.
- increase the number of hearts and add some aethersphere harvesters?

- I know favorable winds is a bad card, but I want to play it at fnm level.

I like Kinjalli's Sunwing for a tempo-skies deck, especially since it crushes decks like RDW. Not sure how good Aven Mindcensor is going to be, it seems more a SB card. IDK if you want to move your curve out a bit but two glorybringers might be good.

Personally I'm going to try a thopter-energy deck for fun now that Favorable Winds exists.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I've no real solutions for the manabase. This format doesn't seem to like esper and grixis manabases.

In order to get T1 and T2 plays in 3c, you need either:
Basic + Checkland
or
Fastland + Basic/Unclaimed/Hub

But running Unclaimed Territory or Aether Hub screws you out of the basics you need to run 8 checklands. My best attempts are probably 4 fastland, 2 checks of each pair, 1 of each cycler, 4 of either Unclaimed/Hub, and fill the rest with basic lands, but I'm particularly bad at manabase. That combo would give 8 basics and 2 cyclers in a 22-land deck, or 10 basics 2 cyclers in a 24-land, which you could maybe shift 2 basics to another of each checkland? But it just seems awkward all around.

Green can enable Jund, Naya, and Bant, and the enemy shards are fine because they get to run 7-8 fastlands and just ignore checklandss for the most part.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Start with 4 Merfolk Branchwalker. It's probably the best merfolk in Standard right now. That's not saying much. Add in Kumena's Speaker and Deeproot Champion. A few $ for Metallic Mimic and maybe one or two Walking Ballista. 3 or 4 Vineshaper Mystic? Then one or two of Herald of the Secret Streams as the finisher, and pick your choice of 5cc curve-topper? As spells, run a few Blossoming Defense maindeck and 4 between main and side, Chart a Course or Opt (or both), and maybe a few Unsummon or Spell Pierce or even Supreme Will. Siren Stormtamer is also not out of place even though it's not a merfolk, as it can stop Settle the Wreckage.

I would almost be tempted to play Sultai. Gets you Fatal Push, Duress, and you can delve deep into GB counters, and you can top-end with The Scarab God (oh wait, you said cheap...).

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Mezzanon posted:

This is my favorite interaction and it wrecks so many people

My least favorite interaction is the MODO bug where it doesn't stop a Cast Out trigger, even though maybe it should? I think?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Archenteron posted:

Cast out is an etb ability, not a target on cast. It's why you can Cast Out or O-Ring original Emrakul

You should be able to use Siren Stormtamer at the ETB ability, which is a triggered ability. In fact, MODO allows you to target that triggered ability, which indicates it's a legal target - you wouldn't be able to use Siren Stormtamer at all without a legal target. But upon resolution, it tells you the target isn't legal and the triggered ability isn't countered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I don't know if there's much to say about Temur Energy that hasn't already been said. I personally wonder if the 2 Essence Scatter are going to be as relevant in a meta where red is on the decline and control is on the upswing, but that's definitely not too controversial a choice.

Thing about gearhulk is you have exactly eight targets for it pre-sideboard. I think it's likely you get value out of it, but it's by no means guaranteed. In the control matchup you can flashback 2 Essence Scatter, 4 Harnessed Lightning (mostly not good), 1 Abrade (situational), and 1 Memory, so does it actually make your control matchup better? Honestly it seems best in a grind against midrange given your maindeck instants.

Post-board you bring in 5 counterspells. But notice something about all the energy-gearhulk lists? They have more instants. They often play Glimmer of Genius, even sometimes from the board. I'm looking at a list that brings in 7 counterspells for control, and 4 SB Negate seems normal. Two people in T8 at Canadian nationals had Slice in Twain spice from the SB for control matchups.

So perhaps Glimmer mainboard would help you support gearhulk mainboard? But I think you have to consider if your instants support Gearhulk both MD and SB - certainly there's nothing wrong with getting some combat step value out of Gearhulk -> Harnessed Lightning -> Block against aggressive decks.

• Locked thread