Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Here's a celebratory level zero stupid deck that sucks but plays off of a couple fun interactions. Improving it would be cool, but I doubt anyone's going to even look at this.

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Lands
4 Botanical Sanctum
17 Forest
4 Island

//Spells
2 Nissa, Steward of Elements
2 Nissa, Vital Force
4 Opt
4 Pounce
3 Savage Stomp
3 Spring // Mind

//Creatures
4 Drover of the Mighty
4 Merfolk Branchwalker
4 Ranging Raptors
1 Waker of the Wilds
4 Walking Ballista

Display deck statistics

I like the idea of this deck and I like Nissa SoE as a finisher, maybe it would be better to build it like elves with some growing rites of itlimoc and more card draw. MIght be a little too slow though and not as good at going wide as vampires.

Stangg fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
[Standard]
I'm trying to fine tune my Temergy deck for the meta I'm predicting (hopefully) correctly and would love some feedback from anyone who plays at the competitive level as I've just got back into it. Due to recent big tournament results I'm expecting Control (U/B and U/W), Tokens (Esper/Abzan), Temur and more vehicles than ramunap. Given this I have been toying with the idea of adding my T Hulks to the main to shore up all game 1s against non aggro and having a more varied counter suite in the side. I think Temurs matchup against aggro is quite strong anyway so I dont think I'll feel to bad for losing magma sprays from the main or board and deathgorge can do a good job of eating things that magma spray would have removed.

My only concern is how much having gearhulks in the main slows the deck down over say some more removal or another glorybringer, is this that much of a problem?

I have Rhonas because he is a house in the mirror and can win games if he sticks against other decks too, pumping thopters against tokens etc. Commit I kept in because with gearhulk it becomes a lot better, and end of turn Memory can give some insane value against anything not running counters. Despite expecting vehicles to be coming out of woodwork I think a single mainboard Abrade is correct, we still have lightnings at instant speed to deal with Kiran.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Lands (22)

4 Aether Hub
4 Botanical Sanctum
4 Forest
2 Island
1 Mountain
3 Rootbound Crag
1 Sheltered Thicket
3 Spirebluff Canal

Creatures (25)

3 Bristling Hydra
3 Glorybringer
4 Longtusk Cub
1 Rhonas the Indomitable
4 Rogue Refiner
4 Servant of the Conduit
4 Whirler Virtuoso
2 Torrential Gearhulk

Spells (13)

1 Abrade
1 Commit
2 Essence Scatter
4 Harnessed Lightning
4 Attune with Aether
1 Confiscation Coup

Sideboard (15)

2 Abrade
2 Appetite for the Unnatural
2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
1 Confiscation Coup
2 Deathgorge Scavenger
2 Negate
1 River's Rebuke
2 Spell Pierce
1 Supreme Will

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

TheDemon posted:

I don't know if there's much to say about Temur Energy that hasn't already been said. I personally wonder if the 2 Essence Scatter are going to be as relevant in a meta where red is on the decline and control is on the upswing, but that's definitely not too controversial a choice.

Thing about gearhulk is you have exactly eight targets for it pre-sideboard. I think it's likely you get value out of it, but it's by no means guaranteed. In the control matchup you can flashback 2 Essence Scatter, 4 Harnessed Lightning (mostly not good), 1 Abrade (situational), and 1 Memory, so does it actually make your control matchup better? Honestly it seems best in a grind against midrange given your maindeck instants.

Post-board you bring in 5 counterspells. But notice something about all the energy-gearhulk lists? They have more instants. They often play Glimmer of Genius, even sometimes from the board. I'm looking at a list that brings in 7 counterspells for control, and 4 SB Negate seems normal. Two people in T8 at Canadian nationals had Slice in Twain spice from the SB for control matchups.

So perhaps Glimmer mainboard would help you support gearhulk mainboard? But I think you have to consider if your instants support Gearhulk both MD and SB - certainly there's nothing wrong with getting some combat step value out of Gearhulk -> Harnessed Lightning -> Block against aggressive decks.

While Temur is a long standing deck that I'm sure has been discussed to death I think there can still a lot to say about tuning it as the meta moves around (in much the same way as a control deck adapts to the meta shifts to stay relevant).

You make some very good points about my gearhulk targets in the mainboard, the likelihood of significant value is low (aside from vs midrange) and I didn't consider that, I've been staring at the list for so long I think I was starting to see it as a whole 75 instead of the starting 60. I started with 4 negates in the side but wanted to shift to 2 negate 2 pierce based on my perceived need to stick early threats against control, pierce protects an early hydra or cub one turn earlier which I think is quite significant and can be considered better against tokens and vehicles due to being more likely to stop a stockpile or heart.

My impression of Temur is it very much seems to be a powerful midrange deck that relies on hedging bets that you've positioned it well against the meta, I know the core cards make it quite restrictive but the flex spots make a big difference. I think the two scatters in the main play really well against everything that isn't approach or tokens.

Given those considerations I think will modify my tuning, maybe a supreme will in the main (that can both counter and impulse off gearhulk) would make it a more worthwhile choice and drop to a single hulk in the main and one in the board. There couldn't even be something said for having a single Carnage Tyrant in the main as it seems that U/B basically cannot answer it.

Lands (22)

4 Aether Hub
4 Botanical Sanctum
4 Forest
2 Island
1 Mountain
3 Rootbound Crag
1 Sheltered Thicket
3 Spirebluff Canal

Creatures (25)

3 Bristling Hydra
3 Glorybringer
4 Longtusk Cub
1 Rhonas the Indomitable
4 Rogue Refiner
4 Servant of the Conduit
4 Whirler Virtuoso
1 Torrential Gearhulk
1 Carnage Tyrant

Spells (13)

1 Abrade
1 Commit
1 Essence Scatter
4 Harnessed Lightning
4 Attune with Aether
1 Confiscation Coup
1 Supreme Will

Sideboard (15)

2 Abrade
2 Appetite for the Unnatural
2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
1 Confiscation Coup
2 Deathgorge Scavenger
2 Negate
1 River's Rebuke
2 Spell Pierce
1 Torrential Gearhulk

Am I trying to cover too many bases here, am I wide open to being destroyed by ramunap?

Stangg fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 19, 2017

• Locked thread