Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

This is a standard budget deck I've been toying with for a few days that has been performing better than expected. I thought it was a fun deck to pilot, so I figured I would share.

The main goal is to string together several cheap artifacts, either to trigger Reckless Fireweaver, or to feed to Ravenous Intruder. The artifacts were selected specifically to draw through your library as cheaply as possible and paired with Pia's Revolution, give the opponent the choice between taking 3 damage and allowing you to continue digging for ammunition.

Since it's a three color deck, I opted to put a couple mana-fixers in to smooth things out. Renegade Map allows you to dig for any colors you are missing and Prophetic Prism draws a card on cast and can fix mana in a pinch. I've also included Aether Hub, but between Renegade Map and Prophetic Prism, they rarely come into use.

For support, I've included Foundry Inspector to reduce the casting cost of the Implements and Renegade Map to zero, which can result in unlimited cycling of Implements if you have a Ravenous Intruder out. Contraband Kingpin, the deck's namesake, is included to expedite your search for the key pieces of the deck while also being a decent defender.

I've toyed with the idea of subbing in Key to the City for use with Ravenous Intruder or throwing in a Marionette Master as a potential finisher, but I figured I would play it as is for a while first.

Deck: Contraband

//Lands
4 Aether Hub
5 Island
8 Mountain
5 Swamp

//Spells
4 Implement of Combustion
4 Implement of Ferocity
4 Implement of Improvement
3 Pia's Revolution
4 Prophetic Prism
4 Renegade Map

//Creatures
4 Contraband Kingpin
3 Foundry Inspector
4 Ravenous Intruder
4 Reckless Fireweaver

Display deck statistics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

This is a budget modern deck, primarily focused on generating thopter tokens to reach one of three outcomes: Lethal damage by attack, pumping up Indomitable Creativity to drop Reckless Fireweavers and artifacts/token generators, or casting Mechanized Production on Prophetic Prism or Alchemist's Vial until you can get to 8 thopters.

Inspiring Statuary plays a key role in allowing you to more easily play out thopter generators, as well as allowing you to cast Indomitable Creativity on every artifact you own for RRR. Panharmonicon is included to double triggers on a lucky cast and Paradoxical Outcome and Cathartic Reunion are included in case you are not having luck drawing what you need.

It has been a real fun play so far, and currently costs under $5 from scratch online.

Deck: Indomitable

//Lands
10 Island
12 Mountain

//Spells
2 Alchemist's Vial
2 Cathartic Reunion
3 Indomitable Creativity
3 Inspiring Statuary
1 Mechanized Production
2 Panharmonicon
4 Paradoxical Outcome
2 Prophetic Prism

//Creatures
4 Ghirapur Gearcrafter
4 Maverick Thopterist
2 Ornithopter
3 Reckless Fireweaver
4 Thopter Engineer
2 Whirler Rogue

Display deck statistics

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

little munchkin posted:

That's a pretty sweet deck idea. Servo Schematic seems like it would be better than one of your other thopter generators. Same with the white puzzleknot as well, forget what the name is. Also you really need some more red sources in there, hitting RRR of of 14 of them is pretty ambitious.

Thanks for the feedback. Now that you mention it though, I made a mistake entering the deck list. I've actually been playing 4 Prophetic Prism and 2 Paradoxical Outcome. You're correct RRR being out of reach sometimes, so what I might try is tuning the lands more toward Mountains and maybe swapping the Whirler Rogue out for either Servo Schematic or Aspiring Aeronaut to reduce the instances of UU.

So far my favorite finishes have been big splashes with Indomitable Creativity, but I don't think I've been using Paradoxical Outcome right. I should be casting it on their turn so I have all mana available with a full hand, at which point I may want to add Fateful Showdown back in as an alternate win condition. I've gotten to 15 cards in hand without much trouble, so it could make a pretty solid finisher.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I remembered I hate Modern, so I went back to the drawing board on my Indomitable Creativity deck. Overall, I think it may have turned out better. Welcome to the Puppet Show!

Deck: Puppet Show

//Lands
3 Aether Hub
12 Mountain
7 Swamp

//Spells
4 Indomitable Creativity
4 Inspiring Statuary
4 Panharmonicon
4 Prophetic Prism
4 Servo Schematic

//Creatures
4 Iron League Steed
4 Marionette Master
2 Ravenous Intruder
4 Reckless Fireweaver
4 Weaponcraft Enthusiast

Display deck statistics

So far, my favorite finish was an Indomitable Creativity for 3 on turn 6 that netted 2 Marionette Masters and a Ravenous Intruder. I put counters on the first Master, made servos with the second, then sacrificed all 3 plus two other servos I had out for lethal damage. While it won't be winning any tournaments, it definitely has the potential to ruin someones day. (Still under five tickets online, too.)

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I like the more combo-ish idea of using Sram and/or Paradoxical Outcome and all of the 0 cost equipment in BfZ and SoI.

I finally got around to trying this shell out with Efficient Construction to create thopter swarms. Good stuff, for sure.

I'm considering borrowing from SaffronOlive's playbook and tossing in Sigarda's Aid so I can do Paradoxical Outcome into a bunch of thopters at their end step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Siivola posted:

Sigarda's Aid only lets you cast Auras and Equipment as though they had flash.

Edit: Oh never mind, the thopters come from Efficient Construction, sorry.

I suppose I could have been clearer about that. Also, I was testing it with auras as a soft removal strategy, stuff like Spontaneous Mutation (which already has Flash) and Captured by the Consulate. I figured captured would double as interference for targeted removal against Metallic Mimic and Chief of the Foundry, but it's too expensive to really be viable. I suppose a couple counterspell variants would be better, but I'm too stupid to play counters effectively.

Still, the deck can go off pretty suddenly with Sram or Paradoxical Outcome and can get nuts with both.

• Locked thread