Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
more pacts would be good since you can dump anything you don't need in the grave

it would suck to get kiki path'd on activation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
So this is definitely the thread for a deck I found after its relevant bannings: Jeskai Ascendancy. It's a storm deck that doesn't use Grapeshot or Empty the Warrens, but instead uses Jeskai Ascendancy to pump a bunch of mana dorks for lethal. It takes a little bit on board to get started, and it needs the critical mass of cantrips in hand to get going, but once it starts it's pretty tough to stop (outside of blowing up the enchantment). This version of it is mainly green & blue since it wants mana dorks and cantrips to get going, and it has a splash of white for Glittering Wish which is a pretty cool card. Not only do the Glittering Wishes operate like Jeskai Ascendancy 4-7, but they also let you pull some hateful cards into your normal play and ensure a win once you've got some steam rolling.

When it comes to the sideboard there's really only about five cards one might ever want to bring in: Silence, Path, and a couple counterspells. The other cards are part of the Glittering Wish package (which is really cool). The big one is probably Sphinx's Revelation, since a few cantrips untapping 3+ dorks nets a lot of mana very quickly and Rev lets you turn that into more cards. Scarscale Ritual & Firespout can be used as different little acts of desperation: Scarscale can draw you a couple cards if you don't have enough mana for Rev and Firespout can wipe the board of smaller creatures if you need to buy yourself another turn. I rarely finish the long way, but Debt to the Deathless theoretically gets past Worship & Angel's Grace while the latter half of Flesh//Blood lets you dome the opponent.

Anyway it's a fun deck that I like to experiment with online, but I imagine it'd be a bit of a headache to play in person! Let me know if you've got any questions about it or neat cards that might slot in somewhere.

Deck: Jeskai Ascendancy

//Lands
4 Botanical Sanctum
1 Breeding Pool
3 Flooded Strand
2 Hallowed Fountain
1 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
2 Polluted Delta
2 Steam Vents

//Spells
4 Cerulean Wisps
4 Glittering Wish
4 Ideas Unbound
3 Jeskai Ascendancy
2 Manamorphose
1 Mystic Speculation
1 Open the Armory
4 Serum Visions
1 Shimmering Wings
4 Sleight of Hand
2 Wind Zendikon

//Creatures
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Fatestitcher
4 Sylvan Caryatid

//Sideboard
1 Bound // Determined
1 Debt to the Deathless
1 Firespout
1 Flesh // Blood
1 Hide // Seek
1 Jeskai Ascendancy
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Manamorphose
1 Scarscale Ritual
2 Spell Pierce
1 Sphinx's Revelation
2 Swan Song
1 Wheel of Sun and Moon

Display deck statistics

e: Updated and won a match with damage today, two Birds & a Blood flew over their turn 3 Hunted Horror+Sundial

myDad fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 26, 2017

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

AlternateNu posted:

Jeskai Ascendancy was one of my pet decks back when it was still really viable. After the bannings of Cruise and Dig, a lot of people swapped to a package with Visions of the Beyond since Thought Scour helps fuel it and incidentally also helps get your Fatestitchers into the grave.

Most versions of the deck ran one or two Faerie Conclaves, too, as a dork you can generate mana off of. Plus, it was a flier and dodged sorcery speed removal as a man-land, so if you could still get a hit in if the opponent was good as gumming up the ground.

Very cool! I imagine the deck was very powerful with Cruise and Dig. I'm using Ideas Unbound as a similar spell, UU for draw three and with the downside being end-of-turn you can cast them any time you want to go off.

I have a Wind Zendikon that I'm using to similar effect (upside being it could be cast when going off), but I could envision a version utilizing the man-land alongside Abundant Growth and maybe Weirding Wood.

e: Updated the list & got to play the combo to its end today. It strikes me that Disrupting Shoal could have a place in the deck in case I take it to FNM & have to contend with tier decks (tons of cantrips to exile in order to counter 1 mana removal or discard spells). Might be too much card disadvantage to swing though.

myDad fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 26, 2017

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

C-Euro posted:

A guy at my store was running monoblack a while ago and his list was pretty similar to yours. Night's Whisper is good removal if you have lots of black mana and should hit pretty much everything in the format except Angler and Dredge's creature suite.

..Grasp of Darkness? (imo the Dismembers are a good pick, might try them in the main if you see a lot of Goyfs or delve threats)

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

do u believe in marigolds posted:

I have definitely been in some games where the Fatal Pushes were dead cards.

Also, I'm trying to keep my curve lower so I want my top end to pretty much be Obliterators. I'm not sure how well either Liliana would work. If anything I would probably go with an enchantment/creature that gives me more cards (Erebos sprang to mind as a one or two of) or has a protective nature (Stillmoon Cavalier).

Lili is great when you want a noncreature permanent that can threaten the opponent's long game. It's possible to run out of gas against a control deck where a landed planeswalker can turn the tide (or force unfavorable trades), but having pro-white creatures sort of helps you out there as most control shells lean on white.

• Locked thread