Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Would it be kosher to ask about Amonkhet-only formats? My local group is coming to the end our of Amonkhet sealed league and I'm actually doing pretty well with my black/green big dude deck against most everyone except control decks. There's a couple of Blue/Red "nothing but counters and burns" decks that swept people running similar decks to mine so I was looking for...play style and construction tips against them? I'd like to not get bulldozed on my way out of the tournament if I can help it.

Anyway, my biggest problems have been trying to get around never ending counters or burn spells keeping my board clean, or getting knocked out by angler drakes I only have so many stinging shots for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
As I understand it, our format is apparently weird because it's basically a sealed+three drafts to make a full deck limited hybrid? I haven't played in over a decade but some local friends wanted something to do and there you go. Everyone plays everyone else once in best-of-3 games to earn tourney points based on how many wins you had (2/0 3 points, 2/1 2 points, 1/2 one and so on). You can play around with deck composition between meetings but once you sit down with someone deck and sideboard are set in stone until best of 3 happens.

So here's my decklist as of playing a W/G/U pseudo control/ croc+drake beatdown deck. I've been playing around with the hand generator and I feel like I need more bodies just so I have a more consistent early game. Shed Weakness is cool for surviving some burns and all but too many toys instead of bodies on the table is an easy way to get choked out, in my limited experience.

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Lands
4 Evolving Wilds
9 Forest
10 Swamp (I know I need to rebalance the lands here)

//Spells
1 Cartouche of Ambition
3 Cartouche of Strength
1 Destined // Lead
1 Gift of Paradise
2 Haze of Pollen
1 Lay Bare the Heart
1 Mouth // Feed
1 Rhonas's Monument
1 Splendid Agony
2 Stinging Shot
2 Supernatural Stamina

//Creatures
1 Baleful Ammit
1 Bone Picker
1 Channeler Initiate
2 Crocodile of the Crossing
4 Decimator Beetle
2 Defiant Greatmaw
2 Doomed Dissenter
2 Exemplar of Strength
2 Hooded Brawler
2 Scaled Behemoth
2 Wasteland Scorpion

Display deck statistics

So far in my meta my record is
2/0 against a B/G mirror, B/R aggro, G/R aggro, and W/B Zombies
2/1 against W/U Temmet+Aven Wind guide token party, and a better B/G mirror
1/2 against Hapatra+Ifnir counter machine that I mana starved on twice (:argh:)
0/2 against B/U/W Angler Drakes and flying Scaled Behemoth madness.

My remaining opponents are another B/G I'm not worried about, another B/R aggro deck, and two U/R control style decks I AM worried about. Not entirely sure about their contents, but the one I have seen in action is literally just four Essence Scatter/Cancel/Magma Spray/etc. and just stalls out your turns until their 23/4 Enigma Drake or Approach of the Second Suns comes out. My B/G mirrors all got brutally swept by that one and I'm not happy with the idea of going out on bad losses after suffering through multiple half hour games I can't win. I'm even considering rebuilding the deck with as many Unburdens and white embalm creatures as I can cram in just to try and outnumber his counters.

EDIT: I really wanted one of those dang cat snakes but alas.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 19, 2017

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Scarab god can do most of what Muldrotha can do for you for cheaper on a more resilient platform. He's silly good and recurring etb creatures like explore and chupacabras and whatnot love him. Muldrotha can return one permanent on your turn, but it does say "permanent" so if you have some enchantments or lands you want back you can get it. If I had to choose I'd Scarab God until rotation puts him out.

You can get away without him some what if you put in recovers. It isn't the fastest card but it replaces itself while giving you another cast of your dead etb critter of choice.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Yeah, that's true. You could retrieve a spent song of freyalise or cartouche or something.

I've been looking at a similar deck and I've been thinking about working in some Supernatural Staminas. Ultimately does a similar thing to recover (replay etb, after a chump or something) but trades drawing a card and flexibility for being much cheaper. I'm not sure if it's the best idea since the deck needs card draw anyway but it's interesting.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 26, 2018

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
What's your plan for the shade? I haven't used him yet but people seem pretty down on him.

So I want to speed up the G/B deck archetype before I build it because the -1 counters deck durdles and dies. We got the Constrictor Challenger deck and it just seems to fall apart and die against anything with removal.

Is fungal infection actually a Good Card? Lots of decks are going to run llanowar elves, skirk prospectors and so on to get going, so kicking their ramp over and getting saprolings on the board faster should be good, yes? It's a decent combat trick that helps your slow, derpy tempo a little, even if it doesn't really solve your flyer problem.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
It's probably not statistically optimal but I like Siren's Ruse with Hostake Taker and Chupacabra. It flashes both for another etb and replaces itself when used on the taker. Not optimal if you haven't cast the hostage yet but eh.

Edit: Consider Helm of the Host.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
You've got 14 creatures with ETB, it could be a super flexible card depending on what you want and what's going on. Blank removal attempts, cycle through your deck faster with Champ, explore all day and make the Wildgrowth boys work, chump block for no loss, whatever. Chupacabra in the sideboard could be brutal against midrangey creature decks. It's basically what my GF won our sealed league with minus the Hour of Devastation stuff.

You could see "The Droop" happen every game one when the opponent realized that her stuff could die all day but that Ghalta or Elenda were only going to live for one turn.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 29, 2018

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I'm wondering whether some of the more powerful vampire cards might help it. Make lots of lifelinking tokens that are drawing you cards while chumping, maybe an Elenda to threaten a big finish while you take your time grinding them out, that sort of thing. Twilight prophet could be good too. Just don't play the ones that require you to pay life.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 29, 2018

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Yawgmoth posted:

I've been screwing around with this deck idea for a bit, and I think I (finally) have it fairly well sorted out:

Deck: Oh god there's mold in the walls

//Lands
3 Blooming Marsh
1 Field of Ruin
7 Forest
2 Ifnir Deadlands
6 Swamp
4 Woodland Cemetery

//Spells
4 Fungal Infection
2 Fungal Plots
2 Growing Rites of Itlimoc
4 Saproling Migration
3 Song of Freyalise
3 Spore Swarm
1 Torment of Hailfire
3 Vicious Offering

//Creatures
3 Slimefoot, the Stowaway
4 Sporecrown Thallid
3 Tendershoot Dryad
2 Thallid Soothsayer
3 Yavimaya Sapherd

Display deck statistics

Song of Freyalise is pretty crazy, since you can just dump your hand and make saprolings that brutalize a combat, and Growing Rites lets you find a Slimefoot or Dryad while giving you stupid amounts of mana for the former. I like the singleton Hailfire in there as a surprise brick-to-the-head if the board is too gummed up to profitably attack, since in any situation where you're casting it you're gonna be making X a terribly high number. Don't really know what to do for a sideboard outside of Duress and Heroic Intervention since I haven't done standard since Eldritch Moon.

Please post how this works out, I had the same deck idea recently but just didn't have the cards for FNM tonight

What do you think about Bontu's Last Reckoning? Noone plays it right now and if you drop same turn as Song of Freyalise Verse 3 it's a one sided board wipe. OR intentionally wipe the board on an earlier turn with Slimefoot out to close out a game too. Hailfire for x-whatever, and when they think they're in the clear tap three more saprolings for that and leech them to death.

I'm also looking at Never//Return to have some flexible anti-planeswalker removal+graveyard sniping.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 5, 2018

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I like the idea of Bontu's Last Reckoning against Green Ramp Stompy. If they dump their hand into Llanowar Elf-->Steel Leaf Champion-->Something--> Ghalta like they do, a board wipe that kills it all before Ghalta can swing kills their momentum. Sure you'll probably not have the resources to do much on your next turn but that deck NEEDS the early rush to win. It even dodges the blossoming defense they'll inevitably keep in hand.

Of course I haven't played it yet so I'm just entertaining dumb ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So I have a big dumb idea for a deck I'd like to play at our LGS's standard saturday tourney that I'd love to have some critique on. The idea is that while I loved the idea of the U/W Annointed Procession token swarm deck, it had a tendency to lack any real interaction with the opponent if things didn't drop right. I also love the B/G Saproling decks flying around now, but the locals are fairly meta aware and half the store might be playing it, plus I'll have a year to play it after rotation anyway. So, I combined the ideas for this monstrosity.

B/W Zombies, "Last Gasp of Amonkhet" before rotation

Creatures (21)
[1] Dread Wanderer (4)

[2] Adorned Pouncer (2)
Anointer Priest (4)
Wayward Servant (4)

[3] Plague Belcher (3)
Bontu, the Glorified (1)
Lord of the Accursed (2)

Instants (4)
[1] Fatal Push (2)
Supernatural Stamina (2)

Sorceries (5)
[3] Never//Return (4)
Gruesome Fate (1)

Enchantments (8)
[2] Arguel's Blood Fast (1)
Seal Away (2)
[4] Anointed Procession (3)
[5] Liliana's Mastery (3)

Sideboard so far
2x Bontu's Last Reckoning
(x) Costly Plunder if Arguel's doesn't work out
(x) Duress for control decks
(x) Golden Demise (?)
(x) Ixalan's Binding/Cast Out
(x) Fungal Infections for llanowar elves

Lands (22) to taste

So obviously, this will need tuning, but the general idea is to get Dread Wanderers and Plague Belchers on the board early to threaten, and abuse Anointed Procession with my embalm creatures, Never and Liliana's Mastery to close out the game with a resilient zombie meat wall. The Belchers, Bontu, and potentially Costly Plunders help me get my embalmers into my graveyard if necessary, while the combination of the Wayward Servants and Plague Belcher passive abilities act like a dusty Slimefoot. Zombies come in, Wayward drains, zombies go out, Plague pings, and the Anointed Processions multiply the effects if I can survive to get there. Never is a little expensive and slow, but it can kill any creature that isn't indestructible and planeswalkers, while providing another way to make zombie tokens. I consider the Liliana's Masteries a zombie lord misclassified as an enchantment that plays well with the processions. Bontu's Last Reckoning is a sideboard card to take down turn 4 Ghalta rushes or other go wide decks. Gruesome Fate is in there solely as a surprise method of turning a bunch of otherwise weak tokens into damage if I can't get any lords to stick.

Already, I'm thinking the waywards are low impact so I may go down in favor of some other creature. Three Anointed Processions means they always show up but I don't really want to take a turn off for them too often, so I may go down to two on that also. I can go up to max Lord of the Accursed and have vicious offerings, so there's another anti Hazoret card option too. I have Ifnir Deadlands and a couple of Fields of Ruin but... I honestly haven't played very much Standard so I'm not sure what my lands need to look like, I do know that the B/W taplands feel like a slow trap though. I have a Josu that would be great if he went off, but I don't really see myself getting to ten mana for the party bus against anything that won't have counterspells anyway.

Anyway, sorry about that text wall. Any thoughts?

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 26, 2018

• Locked thread