Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Ouch, no posts since February?

I'm running an upgrade version of the Second Sun Control challenger deck
Deck: Second Sun Control

//Main
2 Abandoned Sarcophagus
3 Approach of the Second Sun
4 Cast Out
4 Censor
4 Countervailing Winds
1 Desert of the Mindful
1 Desert of the True
3 Drake Haven
2 Field of Ruin
3 Fumigate
3 Glacial Fortress
2 Glimmer of Genius
4 Hieroglyphic Illumination
2 Ipnu Rivulet
4 Irrigated Farmland
7 Island
4 Plains
4 Renewed Faith
3 Settle the Wreckage

//Sideboard
2 Crook of Condemnation
2 Glyph Keeper
1 Kefnet the Mindful
4 Negate
4 Regal Caracal
2 Spell Pierce

Display deck statistics

And I'm wondering about Dominaria upgrades. I've got a short list of cards I'm looking at, and would appreciate some feedback on what people think. In no particular order:

Baird, Steward of Argive: Propaganda on a stick, but I feel like it'll just eat creature removal in game 1. Lukewarm as a SB option?
Merfolk Trickster: Flash creature, tapper, and removes abilities, but there aren't a ton of non-ETB abilities in my meta. Cold on it, but notable just because I'm considering it.
Precognition Field: Card draw and filtering, but I feel like 4 mana is too expensive. Cold.
Seal Away: A conditional Cast Out for half the price, but it loses the cycling. I'm having trouble judging how much a downside the tapped creature only clause is going to be. Very warm.
Syncopate: Not strictly better than Censor since it lacks cycling, but I feel like the deck can take the hit. Very warm.
Teferi, Hero of Dominaria: A planeswalker with three great abilities, but I feel like the deck can't protect him. Warm?
The Mirari Conjecture: Potential to insta-win, and helps set up the Second Sun, but feels expensive, slow, and hella cutesy. Lukewarm as a possible SB option for control matches, but I've already got negates.
Time of Ice: 4 mana for two Take Into Custodys and a slow bad Cyclonic Rift... I'm keen on it, but other people don't think it's good enough. Very Warm, but maybe I'm bad.

The next cards are more being considered together as part of a change in deck theme. I don't think it'll fit alongside the cycling theme, but possibly a replacement.
Traxos, Scourge of Kroog: More adding it as a potential finisher, especially if the deck has a density of artifacts.
Icy Manipulator: In the match-ups where I want reoccurring taps, 4/5 mana is very important and I don't think it competes on it's own.
Powerstone Shard: Potential for massive acceleration, but pretty weak in the singular. Maybe with Precognition Field or Syncopate could be the mana sink.
Voltaic Servant: LOTS of potential combos if it's part of a strong artifact theme.

And the mana base:
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=443137: I feel like there's some room for greed in my mana base, possibly as a replacement for the Desert of the True/Pure.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Mezzanon posted:

Just as an side, this doesn't create an insta-win.
Copying second sun wouldn't win? Why not? Not that I don't believe you, just want to know what mistake I'm making in the rules.

Edit: D'oh. Copies aren't cast from your hand. Although couldn't you stack it so the copy resolves first?
Edit edit: Double d'oh. You've got to cast the FIRST second sun as well.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 20, 2018

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

At least I wasn't alone!

Having played with the cards a little on xmage... Seal Away is very good, Teferi is very good. The version I've been testing started with Brennan DeCandio's article as a base, but I've been playing fast and loose with what's going in and coming out of the deck.

I was right that protecting Teferi is very difficult, but an Unexpectedly Absent that leaves behind a PW seems to be good enough when under pressure, and a card draw that leaves mana up for Negate/Essence Scatter/Seal Away helps keep you in control if you're ahead. Seal Away is just a good card, mostly functioning as an Immolating Glare. The exile effect and ability to cast it outside the combat step more than outweigh the risk of enchantment removal - we'll see if people start maindecking Naturalize or Thrashing Brontodons in green decks, and whether that changes the equation.

Surprisingly tough cards to beat that I saw were Knight of Malice (White Hexproof removes a lot of answers), Shalai, Voice of Plenty (demands an answer by itself, but I saw it combo with Helm of the Host), and Steel Leaf Champion (a 5/4 on turn 3 demands an immediate answer, and the super-standard mana bases seem to easily support the GGG, even in three color decks).

There was also a B/W Knights deck that I faced, but I don't think the version I faced was the optimal list. It shows some potential, but doesn't quite seem to come together yet.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 21, 2018

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Death of Rats posted:

Decided to sketch out a Rat Colony deck

Deck: Bad Rats
Not a bad little brew, but terribly weak to Settle the Wreckage or token strategies. I would suggest taking a look at Metallic Mimic and possibly Throne of the God-Emperor, or maybe Walking Ballista as a place to sink mana from lands. Probably wouldn't materially improve the deck, though - I feel like you're pretty close to the ideal already. Seems fun!

Final deck list for tomorrow's tournament:
Deck: Second Sun Cycling
//Main
3 Settle the Wreckage
3 Fumigate
3 Seal Away
3 Cast Out
3 Glacial Fortress
2 Ipnu Rivulet
3 Approach of the Second Sun
2 Field of Ruin
2 Search for Azcanta
3 Drake Haven
6 Island
4 Plains
3 Zhalfirin Void
4 Countervailing Winds
2 Renewed Faith
4 Censor
4 Hieroglyphic Illumination
4 Irrigated Farmland
2 Abandoned Sarcophagus
//Sideboard
1 Seal Away
1 Cast Out
3 Negate
4 Regal Caracal
2 Spell Pierce
2 Glyph Keeper
2 Crook of Condemnation
Display deck statistics

It would probably be improved by a couple of copies of Karn and Teferi but 1.) They're expensive right now, and 2.) I haven't quite figured out how to fit them into the deck yet.

I started recording some match-up and quick thoughts. This testing was all on XMage, which tends to have players who are trying out wacky homebrews, are bad at magic, or both - it's probably not representative of what I'll actually see
B/R Aggro: 2-0, Seal Away makes this deck a lot stronger verses the aggressive red decks, especially Hazoret and Scrapheap Scrounger.
Mono-Green Ramp: 2-1, a rough match-up that might lead to me putting Essence Scatter in the SB, but Seal Away on mana elves and Censor can disrupt green's potentially explosive start
Mono-Blue Aggro: 2-1, aggro strategies with blue are extremely tough, especially in game 2 after they bring in Negates to turn off your best win cons.
G/B Lich's Mastery: 2-0, If this is a real deck (I'm doubtful), it feels like a real underdog in this matchup
U/R Wizards: 1-2, similar to the mono-blue aggro match up, feels like a tough match-up in game one that gets worse in game 2. Also, my early guess for the most likely 'real' deck after Amonkhet rotates out.

Some thoughts on decks that I didn't face: Mono-Red Aggro and God-Pharaoh's Gift. Seal Away significantly improves the match-up against Hazoret Red, even when it's not in your hand. As for GPG, I feel like it wasn't significantly helped by Dominaria, and the prevalence of hate is going to reduce its popularity. That said, I'm not taking Crook out of the SB any time soon. GPG is very popular in the local scene, so I'll probably have a better answer tomorrow.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

BizarroAzrael posted:

Oh, and just to satisfy my curiosity, what happens if you have 2 Lich's Mastery and legend rule one away? Say your first is Cast Out and then the Cast Out is removed after you have played another. I think it's fine? One leaves play and triggers "you lose the game" but you still have one saying that you can't.
That particular example couldn't happen, but I believe your understanding is correct - " can't lose the game" overrides " you lose the game".

Fun fact I discovered when looking up the rules - although you can't lose the game, your opponent can still win the game. Alternative win cons can still beat you.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

moush posted:

Does this mean that Lich's Mastery won't help vs. approach? I was thinking it would be a good sideboard card against them.
No it wouldn't (as I understand the rules). Black does give you access to Lost Legacy and Kitesail Freebooter though.

Edit: And if you're moving towards white, Gideon's emblem works too.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 29, 2018

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

The full set of negates and spell pierces in the main and all the essence scatters in the SB feels seems little weird to me. I would put two scatters in the main instead of two pierces, but how has it actually felt in play on game one?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Siivola posted:

I raced against GW Legends and UG Merfolk, so the noncreature counterspells turned out 100% blank cards. It was a casual night and I didn't actually have the sideboard with me (I was there to pick up all the missing mainboard cards and hadn't thought at all about the sideboard), but I was really pining for the Scatters and Unsummons by the end. Would absolutely have sided all of 'em in.

The deck felt like I was constantly on the edge of mana screw, so keeping two mana open for Negate felt pretty bad in general. I'm sort of considering throwing them in the sideboard altogether and maindecking the Unsummons instead for the lowest possible curve.

I should probably mention this is my first Standard deck ever, so I've zero clue of the local meta. :shobon:
I wouldn't cut the negates completely - after you've gotten a few threats on the board, you can hold up the mana to negate some big spells. I wouldn't put Unsummons in the MB either - those seem better in the SB, if the make the 75 at all.

I feel like your deck's major weaknesses are sweepers like Settle the Wreckage and Fumigate, so the four negates seem great there, but I like having a variety of answers in the MB for game one. Honestly, I feel like your deck is really looking for 3 Disallows, 3 Negates, and 2 Essence Scatters in the MB, but that's my gut reaction with no idea of the meta and Disallow isn't really a budget card. It's too bad Siren Stormcaller is your only wizard - Wizard's Retort feels like it'd be great if you could reliably cast it for UU.

Edit: Also Tempest Djinn...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

What should I put in for Sideboard besides Carnage Tyrant against counter and exile enchantments? It already runs pretty quick with the all the elves. Playtesting it on Tappedout seems to get me a Ghalta on turn 5 or turn 6.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mono-green-turbo-rampage/

By counters and exile enchantments, I assume you're having trouble with U/W Control. Have you considered replacing some or all of the Naturalize in the MB with Thrashing Brontodon, and moving the Naturalize into the SB? A 3/4 body for 3 CMC isn't too bad if you don't see any targets, and you'll see it eat enchantments or counters on it's own which is great.

After that, I would suggest a copy or two of Prowling Serpopard in the SB if you're seeing a lot of counter spells.

I'd move some or all of the Crushing Canopy into the SB and replace them Heroic Intervention. I assume the Canopy is there for Lyra if you're worried about U/W? Intervention seems a bit more utility in general.

• Locked thread