Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I took a largely unmodified (I added some cycling lands main and a couple of Hazoret board) U/R emerge deck to FNM last week and went 3-1. Then that SCG happened and I want to punch magic players. Which is honestly a fairly good policy sometimes, kinda like punching Nazis.

There's a TON of stuff that happened at the SCG I don't agree with:
Removing Fiery Temper from the deck was possibly the dumbest thing everyone did. Yes, it's a bit mana intensive sometimes, yes hard casting it sucks sometimes. But sometimes you just gotta kill a Gideon that came down to crew a Heart (bonus points if you're hitting the axe/temper one two punch), make them waste mana on a scrounger recursion, blow up a ballista, or just go for their face because they're at 2 or some poo poo.
Bloodrage Brawler is bad because it pretty much just turns on removal (I'm looking at you here, Fatal Push). I don't care that it's a discard effect with a pretty good body attached (we've come a long way from Balduvian Horde). I enjoy leaving a player with totally dead cards. Yes, Revolt enabled Push can get some of your stuff, but it's all crap that comes back so it's not a problem.
Speaking of cycling, the complete lack of bicycle lands in the deck just astounds me. I'm not saying you need to run eight of them, but four to five is great for a turn one play (which incidentally allows you to cast your Amalgams) and being able to cycle later on is fine. It's a bit greedy, but toss the motherfuckers if you see too many of them.
Drake Haven in the side? Quit being cute. This isn't the deck for this. Even with Fevered Visions in the 75 haven is a do nothing play on turn three
Disallow in the side is bleh. You tend to not care about triggers too much and the deck is mana hungry enough that 1UU is ouch. Just run Negate to get Gideon/Heart/pump spells/Marvel.

Things I did agree with:
Fevered Visions is a card I love, but the meta is a bit too aggro for this right now, the full grip in the sideboard for midrange/control matchups is perfect. I may consider a 2/2 split later on.
Reduce to Rubble as a three of is a spicy, mini EDF of a meatball and as soon as I have enough of them I plan on tapping people down SO HARD.
The singleton Wretched Gryff to get an extra K-Return enabler is pretty smart and something I considered doing at several points. It's worth a shot.

So I put this together for if I make FNM tomorrow night:

Deck: U/R emerge

//Creatures
4 Advanced Stitchwing
4 Elder Deep-Fiend
4 Prized Amalgam
4 Stitchwing Skaab
1 Wretched Gryff

//Spells
4 Cathartic Reunion
1 Reduce // Rubble
2 Nahiri's Wrath
3 Fiery Temper
4 Kozilek's Return
3 Lightning Axe
3 Tormenting Voice

//Lands
4 Island
4 Mountain
3 Canyon Slough
2 Fetid Pools
2 Sanctum of Ugin
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Wandering Fumarole

//Sideboard
2 Dispel
1 Fiery Temper
3 Magma Spray
2 Negate
1 Release the Gremlins
2 Hazoret the Fervent
4 Fevered Visions

Display deck statistics

If I can get the Reduce // Rubble in time, I'll the other two in main, and move the Nahiri's Wrath to the board in place of a Dispel and Release the Gremlins.

Bloodrage Brawler being run in the SCG decks actually brought up a point for me. They're looking for that bit of discard. I'm running black bicycle lands right now that allow for some light splashing. This makes Collective Brutality a somewhat viable board/splash option, and maaaaaaaaaybe a singleton Cut to Ribbons. Not something I want to try just yet though, I want to give my changes for this week some time to coalesce.

Then again, I could just put together a Marvel variant or some poo poo. Maybe that Bant list so I can run Gideon.

How are these changes working for you right now? I'm taking the deck to a PPTQ tomorrow and I have been playing with 1reduce in the main and 2 in the side. I just fukkkin love Fevered Visions, but I'm assuming Marvel is on the upswing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I've been out of the loop for a while, but I got a chance to try the Modern Event Deck and it's basically everything I want in a deck (ie: modern B/W token generation and buff stacking). Are there any obvious strictly better upgrades to it since it was printed? I'm thinking of swapping out the Sword of Feast and Famine for an Obelisk of Urd, and the Cities of Brass seem really odd for a two-color deck, but I don't know what to replace them with.

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=15570&d=295031&f=MO

That event deck needs some powerful upgrading

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
So I've been tempted to make u/w tempo list for when rotation hits. I have the cards for jeskai gifts for standard. But spoilers have really been tempting me with a flying tempo deck. So this is what I have outlined so far:

Jeskai tempo theoretical deck

Creatures: (around 26)

4x Siren Stormtamer
4x rw 2/2 flying menace dino
4x Storm Fleet Aerialist
4x Nimble Obstructionist
4x Aven Mindcensor
4x Dreamcaller Siren
2x Angel of Invention

Spells: (around 14-18)
4x Spell Pierce
4x Favorable Winds
4x Lightning Strike
4x Chart a Course
2x Heart of Kiran

Land: (22-ish)
4x Spirebluff Canal
3x Inspiring Vantage
4x Irrigated Farmland
4x glacial fortress
Any other relevant duals?
Mix of basics

Sideboard:
- removal
- counterspells (maybe the pierces should go in here and have generalist counters in for now, may e Lookouts Dispersal?)
- mass path

Options:

- storm fleet aerialist is probably the weakest card on the list, but if I run lookouts dispersal in the main it definitely makes that better.
- increase the number of hearts and add some aethersphere harvesters?

- I know favorable winds is a bad card, but I want to play it at fnm level.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

TheDemon posted:

I like Kinjalli's Sunwing for a tempo-skies deck, especially since it crushes decks like RDW. Not sure how good Aven Mindcensor is going to be, it seems more a SB card. IDK if you want to move your curve out a bit but two glorybringers might be good.

Personally I'm going to try a thopter-energy deck for fun now that Favorable Winds exists.

I agree completely. Didn't see the sun wing on my original look through spoilers but I like it. I was considering glorybringers as well, maybe instead of the angels (or move angel to the board)

Come on thunderclap wyvern reprint!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
here's what I would plan around for suicide aggro:

rakdos suicide aggro
4x walking ballista
4x bone picker
4x scrapheap scrounger
4x wanted scoundrels
4x bloodrage brawler
some number of deadeye tracker, ruin raider, vicious conquistador, gifted aetherborn (maybe)
_x Hazoret
2x Glorybringer (might actually be too high on the curve)

4x lightning strike
4x unlicensed disintegration
4x cut//ribbons

Dragonskull summit
aether hub probably
lands

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Quick and dirty build on Esper tempo. Please tell me how terrible we think it looks.

(Also how to make mana base better)

4x Siren Stormtamer
4x Kitesail Freebooter
4x Storm Fleet Aerialist
4x Skyship Plunderer
4x Nimble Obstructionist
4x Aven Mindcensor/Kinjali’s Sunwing
4x Dreamcaller Siren

4x Unsummon
4x Favorable Winds
4x Lookouts Dispersal

6x Island
2x Swamp
4x Unclaimed Territory
2x Concealed Courtyard
3x Glacial Fortress
3x Drowned Catacomb

Sideboard:
_x Fatal Push
_x Vraska’s Contempt (???)(might be too greedy)
4x Aven Mindcensor/Kinjali’s Sunwing
_x Duress
_x Cast Out/Ixalan’s Binding

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

TheDemon posted:

Siren Stormtamer is also not out of place even though it's not a merfolk, as it can stop Settle the Wreckage.

This is my favorite interaction and it wrecks so many people

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Archenteron posted:

Cast out is an etb ability, not a target on cast. It's why you can Cast Out or O-Ring original Emrakul

Yeah but stormtamer is counter target spell or ability thus it should be able to counter it?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Hey maybe now that standard has eaten some bans we can revive this dead, gay thread.

Deck Brewing Time!

I'm theorycrafting the ol' u/w favorable winds deck again, Tell me why I'm bad and wrong:

U/W Flyers

Creatures:

2x Skymarcher Aspirant (move to 4???)
4x Siren Stormtamer

4x Skyship Plunderer
4x Warkite marauder

4x Aven Mindcensor
4x Kinjalli's Sunwing
3x Nimble Obstructionist

3x Dreamcaller Siren

Spells:

4x Favorable Winds
2x Unsummon
2x Spell Pierce
3x Curious Obsession (could be chart a course instead)

21 Lands?

2x Irrigated Farmlands
4x Glacial Fortress
2x Ipnu Rivulet
2x Scavenger Grounds
2x Field of Ruin
5x Island
4x Plains

Sideboard:

1x Skysovereign, Consul Flagship (could be cut, probably too mana intensive)
3x Cast Out (good)
2x Settle the Wreckage (good)
2x Unsummon (sometimes a surprising blowout)
2x Spell Pierce (good)
2x Heart of Kiran (maybe?)
2x Lookouts Dispersal (maybe play these in the main instead of spell pierce?)
1x Open into Wonder (I should probably not play this, but I like it)

Maybe Board (and discussion):

- Skymarcher Aspirant (I could probably play this as a four-of to bring me to 8 one drops, it helps me be more aggressive

- Aerial Responder (Vampire Whitehawk is so good)

- Aetherstorm Roc (pro: it's decent. Con: it's a 4 drop)

- Kitesail Corsair (it's a 2/1 flyer for 2)

- Aethersphere Harvester (generic good card)

- Heart of Kiran (generic good card)

- Hope of Ghirapur (lol)

- Radiant Destiny (I'm pretty close to Pirate Tribal so the anthem could be important)

- Resplendant Griffin (it's blue, it's white, and it flies, god I wish spell queller was still standard legal)

- Siren Reaver (a 3 mana 3/2 flyer seems okay)

- Stormfleet Aerialist (pretty close to the bottom of the barrel here)

- Chart a Course (is this better or worse than curious obsession?)

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

I don't know poo poo about Standard but Chart a Course did work for me at the IXN prerelease.

It is a fukkkkkkkin great card that's why! The only reason it's in the maybe pile is because Curious Obsession looks like a house of a card

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Do you have many one-drops in the deck? Turn 1 critter, turn 2 swing and then cast Chart seems rad. Obsession is more likely to net you cards when you're already ahead too, since you have to connect in order to draw.

list is currently at 6 one drops, but everything in the deck flies so connecting with obsession is very easy.

Edit: I've been considering cutting the spells down to 4 winds, 3 obsession, 2 spell pierce (or lookouts dipersal) in the main and running 30 creatures, and radiant destiny out of the board as a 2 of. That would involve cutting the 1 mana vampires, for more 2 drops.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 18, 2018

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

moush posted:

I don't have a list, but it feels like there has to be some kind of aristocraty Black (maybe green with the new flip enchantment) deck.

Some of the cards that look good:
Bontu's Monument
Bontu
Chupacabra
Jadelight Ranger
Dire Fleet Hoarder
Ruthless Knave
Yahenni, Undying Partisan
Oathsworn Vampire
Journey to Eternity

You could go junk, the g/b flip enchatnment with a sac outlet and chupacabra seems pretty okay. removal every turn.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Tibalt posted:

The Mirari Conjecture: Potential to insta-win, and helps set up the Second Sun, but feels expensive, slow, and hella cutesy. Lukewarm as a possible SB option for control matches, but I've already got negates.

Just as an side, this doesn't create an insta-win.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Tibalt posted:

Copying second sun wouldn't win? Why not? Not that I don't believe you, just want to know what mistake I'm making in the rules.

Edit: D'oh. Copies aren't cast from your hand. Although couldn't you stack it so the copy resolves first?
Edit edit: Double d'oh. You've got to cast the FIRST second sun as well.

I went through this exact line of thought too when I first saw the conjecture

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Scarab god can do most of what Muldrotha can do for you for cheaper on a more resilient platform. He's silly good and recurring etb creatures like explore and chupacabras and whatnot love him. Muldrotha can return one permanent on your turn, but it does say "permanent" so if you have some enchantments or lands you want back you can get it. If I had to choose I'd Scarab God until rotation puts him out.

Note that muldrotha is one card of each type per turn. So you can play a land AND a creature AND a cast out, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Cross posting from the eternal thread

Working on a brew for modern, it’s u/w bogles:

Creatures:

4 slippery Bogle
4 invisible stalker
1 Geist of st traft
4 Kor spiritdancer
(13)

Spells:

4 Leyline of sanctity
4 ethereal armor
4 curious obsession
4 daybreak coronet
4 hyena Umbra
1 spirit link
2 gryffs boon
2 cartouche of knowledge
1 spirit mantle
(26)

Land:

4 fastland
4 fetch
4 shock
4 adarkar wastes
3 island
2 Plains
(21)

Sideboard:

2 disenchant
2 Suppression field/damping sphere
2 Stony silence
2 Rest In Peace
4 Spreading Seas
3 path to exile

Thoughts?

Edit: current question so far is do I cut the spreading seas for counter magic?

• Locked thread