Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
AS FORETOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD!

1 Vendilion Clique
3 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
1 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
2 Liliana of the Veil
2 Liliana, the Last Hope

4 Ancestral Vision
4 As Foretold
1 Cryptic Command
2 Damnation
4 Fatal Push
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Remand
1 Restore Balance
4 Serum Visions
1 Spell Snare

1 Creeping Tar Pit
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Flooded Strand
1 Godless Shrine
1 Hallowed Fountain
3 Island
4 Polluted Delta
2 Swamp
2 Tolaria West
2 Watery Grave

Sideboard:
1 Disenchant
1 Dispel
1 Esper Charm
2 Negate
2 Path to Exile
2 Rest in Peace
2 Thoughtseize
1 Seachrome Coast
3 Stony Silence

I brought this up in the general thread a couple weeks ago, but every time I look at where Modern is at lately, I think U/B is much better suited for control than U/W. But, I cannot argue how good U/W's sideboard options are. So, I decided to try to have my cake and eat it, too. The one thing I like about U/B's walker finishers is that unlike Elspeth, I don't have to pay 6 mana for them, meaning I can shave a land or two and play more interaction. My true list would run 3 x Liliana, the Last Hope, but I only have two at the moment.

Anywho, thoughts? Comments? Critiques?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

what happens with this deck when you replace all of the As Foretolds with Snapcaster mages? i get the joke about casting free Ancestral Recalls the rest of the game if it lives/resolves, but i'd really play a bunch of games with snapcasters in that slot and see if that or the three mana do-nothing wins more games. I'm not being glib about that, I really do not know the answer. i suspect the optimal snapcaster build has fewer JVPs and probably some more cryptics or something

fake edit: like, I think you want to go whole hog on this strategy if you're going to do it. i don't *think* as foretold even nets you that much mana because all of your cards are so efficient you can cast them anyway. i guess build-your-own force of will is kind of cool so you can tap out for a planeswalker? i dunno. as foretold is a weird card.

real edit: if the point is to play noted cool card As Foretold, then I probably want fewer JVPs and even more impactful walkers/permanents that you can tap out for and protect with free counter magic off your as foretold

You kind of right regarding half-measures. The card just isn't worth it unless you're going to get some real value off it. So, I streamlined the list a bit. Even if my spells are naturally efficient, I still think you get a lot from being able to cast them for free on your opponent's turn while being able to refill at least once or twice.

4 Ancestral Vision
4 As Foretold
1 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
2 Cryptic Command
4 Fatal Push
1 Go for the Throat
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
1 Liliana of the Veil
2 Liliana, the Last Hope
2 Remand
3 Restore Balance
4 Serum Visions
2 Thoughtseize
1 Vapor Snag

2 Creeping Tar Pit
4 Darkslick Shores
3 Flooded Strand
1 Ghost Quarter
2 Island
4 Polluted Delta
3 Swamp
2 Tolaria West
2 Watery Grave

Sideboard:
3 Ceremonious Rejection
1 Damnation
1 Dispel
2 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Negate
3 Surgical Extraction
2 Thoughtseize

No creatures save a pair of Jace that I wouldn't put on the field unless I can protect them for a turn to flip them. PW finishers and just value coming out of the ears. I went to 3 Restore Balance because it is the best card against creature decks even if I pull As Foretold late.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

NofrikinfuN posted:

This is a standard budget deck I've been toying with for a few days that has been performing better than expected. I thought it was a fun deck to pilot, so I figured I would share.

The main goal is to string together several cheap artifacts, either to trigger Reckless Fireweaver, or to feed to Ravenous Intruder. The artifacts were selected specifically to draw through your library as cheaply as possible and paired with Pia's Revolution, give the opponent the choice between taking 3 damage and allowing you to continue digging for ammunition.

Since it's a three color deck, I opted to put a couple mana-fixers in to smooth things out. Renegade Map allows you to dig for any colors you are missing and Prophetic Prism draws a card on cast and can fix mana in a pinch. I've also included Aether Hub, but between Renegade Map and Prophetic Prism, they rarely come into use.

For support, I've included Foundry Inspector to reduce the casting cost of the Implements and Renegade Map to zero, which can result in unlimited cycling of Implements if you have a Ravenous Intruder out. Contraband Kingpin, the deck's namesake, is included to expedite your search for the key pieces of the deck while also being a decent defender.

I've toyed with the idea of subbing in Key to the City for use with Ravenous Intruder or throwing in a Marionette Master as a potential finisher, but I figured I would play it as is for a while first.

Display deck statistics

I like the more combo-ish idea of using Sram and/or Paradoxical Outcome and all of the 0 cost equipment in BfZ and SoI. You can draw most of your deck, and recasting all the equipment for free pinging with Fireweaver. At the very least, I don't think Kingpin is a very good card in the deck, and he's your only black card.

Here's an idea for a Modern Combo deck. A guy at my LGS and I were discussing the idea, so I thought I'd put it on paper.

As Kiki-Jiki Foretold
4 Ancestral Vision
4 As Foretold
4 Deceiver Exarch
4 Faithless Looting
3 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
3 Living End
4 Manamorphose
1 Pact of Negation
1 Pestermite
4 Serum Visions
4 Simian Spirit Guide
2 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
1 Wheel of Fate

1 Arid Mesa
3 Island
1 Misty Rainforest
3 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
1 Shivan Reef
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Steam Vents

It is a U/R combo deck that tries to cycle through the deck as quickly as possible, dumping Kiki-Jiki and a Exarch or Pestermite in the grave, then bring them back with Living End off an As Foretold. It can theoretically kill turn one if you manage to draw into all four Simian Spirit Guides. Standard graveyard hate doesn't completely ruin you because you can pull off the EoT Exarch turn 3 into a Simian-ramped Kiki-Jiki for the win without even using As Foretold or the grave. You can very often kill by or before turn 4. Fewer people are packing bolts these days, and Push doesn't kill either part of the combo without a fetch or other sac effect involved.

Plus, it feels like it should be fairly resilient to early hand disruption, but of course, it needs a whole lot of testing.

I'm debating right now on whether I should even bother with Snap since it is kind of slow. Perhaps swap him out for a couple Cathartic Reunions? I feel he'd be good in games where I can't combo off immediately, and he's just more value grind off of As Foretold if I need it.

Edit: Swapped Snap for Vice President Jace.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 19, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

snapcaster seems really bad here with only 9 targets. i'd play more pacts before cathartic reunion

The problem with Pact is it is a dead card outside the turn I'm combing off. I could see having one or two more in the sideboard for control decks or decks that are naturally in a good position to disrupt me in the middle of the combo, but more than one or two mainboard seems way overkill since I'll almost never be able to pay the pact cost afterwards. Honestly, I imagine I'll be sideboarding the one I have out a lot against linear aggro strategies like (non-bant) Company and Shadow decks.

Edit: Now that I look at it, Jace, Vryn's Prodigy is probably a better fit than either Snap or Cathartic Reunion. It allows early card filtering, should flip fairly easily, and can cast a Living End from the grave through As Foretold once flipped. Hell, if nothing else, it can eat early removal they may be holding for Exarch/Kiki-Jiki.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 19, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

myDad posted:

more pacts would be good since you can dump anything you don't need in the grave

it would suck to get kiki path'd on activation

Alright. Here's an updated version:

Deck: As Kiki-Jiki Foretold

//Main
4 Ancestral Vision
1 Arid Mesa
4 As Foretold
4 Deceiver Exarch
4 Faithless Looting
2 Island
1 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
3 Living End
2 Manamorphose
1 Misty Rainforest
3 Mountain
2 Pact of Negation
2 Pestermite
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Serum Visions
1 Shivan Reef
3 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Steam Vents
4 Thought Scour

Display deck statistics

I decided I could shave a land to up my number of early cantrips. Two Manamorphose went away along with a Simian Spirit Guide and a Jace, VP for 4 Thought Scour and a second Pact of Negation. Considering I have no other removal in the deck, I like that Living End can, in a pinch, act as a one-time board wipe.

Now it's time to work on the side board.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
As Kiki Fortold v.2.1

Removed the manamorphose because, while more free cantrips are nice, Jace is just better in the long game.
-2 Manamorphose
+2 Jace, Vice President
-1 Shivan Reef
-1 Island
+2 Tolaria West (because I'm an idiot and forgot about this card entirely for the first draft.)

Deck: As Kiki-Jiki Foretold

//Main
4 Ancestral Vision
4 As Foretold
4 Deceiver Exarch
4 Faithless Looting
3 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
3 Living End
2 Pact of Negation
2 Pestermite
4 Serum Visions
3 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Thought Scour

//Lands
1 Arid Mesa
2 Island
1 Misty Rainforest
2 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Steam Vents
2 Tolaria West

//Sideboard
3 Blood Moon
2 Ceremonious Rejection
3 Leyline of Sanctity
2 Shattering Spree
3 Surgical Extraction
2 Swan Song

Display deck statistics

Also, now including sideboard!

Beyond the smattering of decent hate cards, I've been thinking of trying out a transformational sideboard which allows me to swap out the graveyard-based Living End strategy with a with a board wipe Greater Gargadon/Restore Balance package for the inevitable Leyline of the Void/Spellbomb hateboard.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 23, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

myDad posted:

So this is definitely the thread for a deck I found after its relevant bannings: Jeskai Ascendancy. It's a storm deck that doesn't use Grapeshot or Empty the Warrens, but instead uses Jeskai Ascendancy to pump a bunch of mana dorks for lethal. It takes a little bit on board to get started, and it needs the critical mass of cantrips in hand to get going, but once it starts it's pretty tough to stop (outside of blowing up the enchantment). This version of it is mainly green & blue since it wants mana dorks and cantrips to get going, and it has a splash of white for Glittering Wish which is a pretty cool card. Not only do the Glittering Wishes operate like Jeskai Ascendancy 4-7, but they also let you pull some hateful cards into your normal play and ensure a win once you've got some steam rolling.

When it comes to the sideboard there's really only about five cards one might ever want to bring in: Silence, Path, and a couple counterspells. The other cards are part of the Glittering Wish package (which is really cool). The big one is probably Sphinx's Revelation, since a few cantrips untapping 3+ dorks nets a lot of mana very quickly and Rev lets you turn that into more cards. Scarscale Ritual & Firespout can be used as different little acts of desperation: Scarscale can draw you a couple cards if you don't have enough mana for Rev and Firespout can wipe the board of smaller creatures if you need to buy yourself another turn. I rarely finish the long way, but Debt to the Deathless theoretically gets past Worship & Angel's Grace while the latter half of Flesh//Blood lets you dome the opponent.

Anyway it's a fun deck that I like to experiment with online, but I imagine it'd be a bit of a headache to play in person! Let me know if you've got any questions about it or neat cards that might slot in somewhere.

Jeskai Ascendancy was one of my pet decks back when it was still really viable. After the bannings of Cruise and Dig, a lot of people swapped to a package with Visions of the Beyond since Thought Scour helps fuel it and incidentally also helps get your Fatestitchers into the grave.

Most versions of the deck ran one or two Faerie Conclaves, too, as a dork you can generate mana off of. Plus, it was a flier and dodged sorcery speed removal as a man-land, so if you could still get a hit in if the opponent was good as gumming up the ground.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 25, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

YeehawMcKickass posted:

So, I fully admit that I am not the best player or deck builder. I'm probably better at modifying existing decks. I've been looking at what's been happening with the super aggressive with Raumnap gone. Then I realized that nearly all the creatures the deck wants to play have first strike or haste.

Which means you can gently caress up combat math on people by splashing white and running some number of Path of Mettle. And you can flip it to do 2 damage repeatedly.

You know what makes lots of poo poo for Path of Mettle?

Oketra's Monument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I like the thinking, but it feels like a lot of do nothing considering the rest of the deck.

You would be correct.

Another note: I would not maindeck Daredevil. The deck should either be throwing creatures out or dumping mana into a flipped Mettle. You (hopefully) won't have mana to spare to get random, not always possible, value from your opponent's grave. Also, Sunscorched Desert is kind of a wasted slot in a deck without Ruins. You're going to get mana screwed if you play needless colorless lands.

• Locked thread