Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Deck: Standard Budget/Terrible RDW

//Main
20 Mountain
4 Aether Chaser
4 Falkenrath Gorger
2 Hazoret the Fervent
4 Incendiary Flow
1 Kari Zev's Expertise
3 Kari Zev, Skyship Raider
3 Pia Nalaar
4 Reckless Bushwhacker
2 Renegade Freighter
4 Shock
3 Skin Invasion
4 Soul-Scar Mage
2 Throne of the God-Pharaoh

//Sideboard
4 By Force
3 Kari Zev's Expertise
2 Key to the City
4 Lightning Axe
1 Skin Invasion
1 Throne of the God-Pharaoh

Display deck statistics

Kinda loosely based on the standard deck I've been (not) playing since Standard took that terrible nose-dive. Just wanted to get any opinions anyone might have on this list, before I buy the few upgrades I need to build it.

It's mostly just a Bushwhacker/go wide deck (with limited Wrath/chump block protection in Skin Invasion) and as such, Throne of the God-Pharaoh seems like it could be entertaining. If I can win one game by second main clown carring the whole board into one Freighter, tap it to crew itself, and drop a Throne for lethal, this deck will have done it's job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Decided to sketch out a Rat Colony deck

Deck: Bad Rats

//Main
20 Rat Colony
4 Llanowar Elves

4 Bontu's Monument
4 Lifecrafter's Bestiary

2 Driven // Despair

2 Blossoming Defense
4 Heroic Intervention

4 Blooming Marsh
5 Forest
7 Swamp
4 Woodland Cemetery

//Sideboard
2 Blossoming Defense
3 Broken Bond
3 Cast Down
3 Divest
3 Duress
1 Fatal Push

Display deck statistics

Does anyone have any thoughts on this pile? I'd love to try and sneak in 2x Testsuo Umezawa, Fugitive but I don't really have the room in the deck (and I don't really have the cash to buy all the required lands). So I'm running Driven // Despair instead. Elves are mostly just more Bontu's Monuments, but will also pay for Lifecrafter's Bestiary. I think I need to cut something for one or two more lands, but I'm having issues deciding what needs to leave. The board is probably also bad; please advise.

Ideal curve of T1 BG Land, Elf > T2 Swamp, Bontu's Monument > T3 Swamp, Rat Rat Rat (drain 3) (holding up mana for Blossoming Defense) > T4 Rat (drain 1), swing for 16 (holding up mana for Heroic Intervention). Doesn't feel too Christmassy to me.

Started sketching out a BGu Brawl deck on the same lines:

Commander: Muldrotha, the Gravetide

20x Rat Colony
Llanowar Elves
Servant of the Conduit
Channeler Initiate
Drover of the Mighty
Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive (Win con)

Lifecrafter's Bestiary (Draw engine)
Bontu's Monument (Discount rats, drain opponents)
Vanquisher's Banner (Expensive, but good if it gets that far - non-bo with Tetsuko, but the draw effect is too good to pass up)

Shapers' Sanctuary (Bad draw engine, but helps against 1-for-1 removal)
Song of Freyalise (Ramp, fix, win con)

Blossoming Defense
Cast Down
Fatal Push
Heroic Intervention

Overcome
Driven // Despair
Uncage the Menagerie (2GG - get Tetsuko and either slow fixing for Tetsuko or another Rat).

22x Lands (mixed)

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 23, 2018

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Tibalt posted:

Not a bad little brew, but terribly weak to Settle the Wreckage or token strategies. I would suggest taking a look at Metallic Mimic and possibly Throne of the God-Emperor, or maybe Walking Ballista as a place to sink mana from lands. Probably wouldn't materially improve the deck, though - I feel like you're pretty close to the ideal already. Seems fun!

I did consider Throne of the God-Pharaoh with a couple of vehicles as a side plan to Driven//Despair (I did the same thing to moderate success during a short foray into Amonkhet standard); I might two thrones, two Heart of Kirans and like one other vehicle into the sideboard as an out against Settle the Wreckage and Urza's Ruinous Blast . (Though Lifecrafter's Bestiary does really good work with the extra mana from Settle; so maybe I don't worry too hard about that). I can't warrant Metallic Mimic or Walking Ballista though - I don't think I'll be playing enough Standard this year to pay that much for cards.

• Locked thread