Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This week's Staff Pick is:

Right Now, Wrong Then (2015)

Directed and Written by: Sang-Soo Hong
Cinematography by: Hong-yeol Park
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4768776/

Summary: A married film director falls for a young painter - twice.

I remember reading about this film when it was making the rounds at film festivals a year or so ago and never got the chance to see it myself. It's split into two parts, hence the title, and the events of both halves play out in a cyclical re-imagining of a single day, and how the central couple interacts, meets, argues, etc. It sounds neat and I don't really know much else about it.

It's available for streaming on Fandoor, and you can sign up for a 7-day free trial just to watch it if you'd like. https://www.fandor.com/films/right_now_wrong_then

---

From the Staff Picks Archives
January 31st, 2017: Cure
February 7th, 2017: Westfront 1918
February 14th, 2017: John Wick
February 21st, 2017: Red Sorghum
February 28th, 2017: God of Gamblers
March 7th, 2017: The Autopsy of Jane Doe
March 14th, 2017: Perfect Blue
March 21st, 2017: Spring Breakers
March 28th, 2017: Cemetery of Splendor
April 20th, 2017: Parallax View

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I forgot to choose a tag :sweatdrop: Could the mods change it to ?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Hell yeah, Korean cinema loving owns, it's insane how good their movies are, I'll watch this.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
great timing as i just watched this the other night. Sang-Soo Hong is the best modern Korean filmmaker by far, however he is almost completely opposite stylistically from Chan-wook Park and Joon Ho Bong types. think of him as the Korean Eric Rohmer, and like Rohmer he sort of makes variations on the same film over and over again. he's also the funniest modern filmmaker i think, no other modern comedies make me laugh as much as Hong's films. Right Now, Wrong Then is typically wonderful and continues his obsession with doubling and repetition, but if you're new to him i wouldn't say it's a great place to start. i would recommend Woman on the Beach, Night and Day, or the Isabelle Huppert-starring In Another Country as better starting points.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm watching this now. I'm enjoying it, and one thing I noticed right away is the use of zooms to reposition the frame, usually films shy away from that kind of movement outside of like, ballistic action. It's an interesting touch.

HP Hovercraft posted:

great timing as i just watched this the other night. Sang-Soo Hong is the best modern Korean filmmaker by far, however he is almost completely opposite stylistically from Chan-wook Park and Joon Ho Bong types. think of him as the Korean Eric Rohmer, and like Rohmer he sort of makes variations on the same film over and over again. he's also the funniest modern filmmaker i think, no other modern comedies make me laugh as much as Hong's films. Right Now, Wrong Then is typically wonderful and continues his obsession with doubling and repetition, but if you're new to him i wouldn't say it's a great place to start. i would recommend Woman on the Beach, Night and Day, or the Isabelle Huppert-starring In Another Country as better starting points.

Thank you for the recs! I'll check out some more of his stuff, I'm liking this movie.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

New thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819381 and Ive got some screenies from this one Ill be posting later.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's bullshit that you didn't see this guys dick. Also now that I've nearly finished it I'm not as into it. The structure is kinda underutilized, and for as long as the shots/scenes are in this film, the composition and endless dialogue kinda doesn't live up to the expectations of having to look at the image for 10+ minutes...I'd still watch more of his films at least. I also found out that this guy is embroiled in a sex scandal with the lead actress of this film (which is about a Director with nearly the same name trying to seduce a her, lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pics: http://imgur.com/gallery/WcM9M

• Locked thread