Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I think Mahomes definitely has a lower floor, and with anybody but noted QB coach Andy Reid I'd be livid and/or worried sick. But I think Mahomes also has a ceiling best measured in miles and could be a goddamn riot to watch in a couple years, and will take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Deep d draft that went o heavy. Why not grab more picks? Lots of good edge and cbs on the board yet.

Yeah, but there are drop-offs in talent the deeper it goes - plus, so many teams went o-heavy in the 1st that they'll all go d-heavy in the second.

I worry that after Cook and Mixon, there's a big drop to Kamara.

CBs, there's still like 5-6 in the current tier before a big drop.

Edge rushers, like 2 before a drop.

I think we have enough picks now, just take one of Cook/Mixon, grab a DB at the end of the round, and a lower tier edge guy in the 3rd/4th.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Should I go to the Chargers draft fest at stubhub center on Saturday

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Roasted Donut posted:

It was a really stupid move made out of utter despair and desperation

Yeah it seems like very much an "all in" style decision and it's a lot to give up for a guy that may be the worst QB taken in the first 2 rounds, depending on how much you like Kizer and Dobbs

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

a neat cape posted:

Should I go to the Chargers draft fest at stubhub center on Saturday

I think that might conflict with the Galaxy game at 7:30 PT

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Grittybeard posted:

Worried, but less worried than KC fans? Watson also probably won't be all that good, but his floor is higher than Mahomes.

We should both get used to these comparisons, because we'll be making them a lot over the next few years.

It just feels like such a Browns-ian move. I get that the team is a QB away from being really loving good right now, but that moment is fleeting and we just mortgaged our future -- on the flip side, if Watson really is a top flight NFL QB, the rest of the team being terrible in 3 years is ok.

I watched a ton of Mahomes since he was in the Big XII, and if he gets the Rodgers treatment where he gets to sit behind Smith for a few years to learn how to play in the NFL, he will be great. He will flame out spectacularly if asked to play next year.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Apparently I didn't realize the Browns traded up for a TE. Good, I guess, even if it isn't Howard.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The Lions didn't make any obvious blunders. A good draft.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Giants needed a tight end extremely badly, so just for that I'm happy. Dont know if Engram is any good, can someone inform me

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Lol could have stayed put and taken Kizer who'll be better than Watson anyway and kept next year's first

This sucks

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Febreeze posted:

Giants needed a tight end extremely badly, so just for that I'm happy. Dont know if Engram is any good, can someone inform me

A little bit overdrafted, second round guy, more of a receiver than a blocker. Good fit for the offense, but doesn't help the pass protection that the Giants sorely need.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Intruder posted:

Lol could have stayed put and taken Kizer who'll be better than Watson anyway and kept next year's first

This sucks

Yeah that was really not a good move

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Febreeze posted:

If he's good think Jimmy Graham. If he's bad think like....Chase Coffman or someone who you've never heard of.

He's one of those tight ends who's really just a big receiver and isn't going to do much blocking, but he might be a really good big wide receiver if everything works out.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Gatts posted:

Apparently I didn't realize the Browns traded up for a TE. Good, I guess, even if it isn't Howard.

Didn't even cost that much. Sashi owns at trading.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Flikken posted:

Didn't even cost that much. Sashi owns at trading.

Yeah, I'm surprised TT didn't milk more out of that one. I feel like we missed the opportunity here to fleece someone.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Abugadu posted:

A little bit overdrafted, second round guy, more of a receiver than a blocker. Good fit for the offense, but doesn't help the pass protection that the Giants sorely need.

Honestly I'm okay with that. Eli loves tight ends when pressure is coming and he hasnt had a valid target for a few seasons now. It will help even if he doesnt block.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Gatts posted:

The Browns:

Pick 1: Myles Garrett.
B

:what:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
https://twitter.com/VicTafur/status/857815334690082816

https://twitter.com/VicTafur/status/857814060666044416

https://twitter.com/VicTafur/status/857814479706308608

https://twitter.com/VicTafur/status/857814838780678144

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
The Steelers had like almost every single guy they liked available to them, and again took the rawest hyper athletic guy with big upside available for like the 3rd consecutive year, which is ballsy and I like it

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

He's one of those tight ends who's really just a big receiver and isn't going to do much blocking, but he might be a really good big wide receiver if everything works out.
He's a faster Funchess, and hopefully for Giants better than Funchess. Could be great in their offense. Lots of draft guy dont think he's a TE.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
TJ Watt is a great pick because good or bad it's going to be fun as hell to hate him as a Steeler.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

a neat cape posted:

I don't know how to feel
Rivers has had to deal with his receivers dying a lot on him, so it was a good move.

I am excited that the Chiefs finally took a QB in the 1st round for the first time in my life, now that I am 31. I am also glad they didn't choose Watson.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Febreeze posted:

Jerry Reese sure does love the combine.

Engram tested great but isn't an inline blocker. Can't go up for balls either even though he has a three foot vert. Kind of a catch and run guy. Finds the seams and hits them.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Oh yeah, Mahomes is the first 1st round QB for the Chiefs in a generation. Well, Brett Farve or Case Keenum it's going to be fun to watch.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I for one am glad theres another retard to unleash the dragon for another few years.

Dont really like the McCaffery pick but maybe when we fire Shula we can hire a coach to utilise him.

Or trade him to NE in 2 years for a 3rd where he'll be an all pro.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I went to the Giants draft party at the stadium and have no idea who they drafted.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Very fun draft, enjoyed watching it. The bears loving up was hilarious and the colts drafting hooker is awesome, never thought we'd be so lucky to have him fall in our lap.

Oh and the guy dropping the f bomb and swearing on his dead grandmother he would kill every quarterback was loving amazing. Didn't know anything about him before but now i wish the colts had traded up to get him.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh and the mormon criminal who brought the baby on stage. That ruled too. This might be my favorite first round ever.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I wanted lattimore in AZ, but then the Saints took him. Then I wanted Hooker or Foster but I guess Reddick will fit really well as a versatile piece in their nickel package and so now I'm ok with it. I'm glad these other teams got stupid and saved us from one of these terrible QBs

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ARGHHHH

gently caress I hate this pick

gently caress

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

This is good to know because polygraphs are bullshit pseudoscience that don't work at all

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Intruder posted:

ARGHHHH

gently caress

I enjoy this as well.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Thank you stupid teams for picking QBs and letting defensive talent fall.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Intruder posted:

ARGHHHH

gently caress

It's a lot but there are worse picks

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Abugadu posted:

Yeah, I'm surprised TT didn't milk more out of that one. I feel like we missed the opportunity here to fleece someone.

A 4th for four spots is pretty good, honestly. How many of our OL starters were 4th, 5th rounders?

I wouldn't mind trading down again tomorrow as long as we keep drafting twice in the second round. Minorly annoyed about missing TJ Watt but I'll get over it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Blitz7x posted:

It's a lot but there are worse picks

by how much, though? Who else was going to take a QB in the first round? Maaaaaybe Arizona I guess, which I'm sure was Houston's fear but jesus that's a lot to give up

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

bigmcgaffney posted:

I wanted lattimore in AZ, but then the Saints took him. Then I wanted Hooker or Foster but I guess Reddick will fit really well as a versatile piece in their nickel package and so now I'm ok with it. I'm glad these other teams got stupid and saved us from one of these terrible QBs

Yeah I wanted a secondary player for balance but they went BPA and whatever they put on the field is probably going to do some crazy poo poo, good or bad.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Texans have basically punted on their 2018 draft so I guess this year is basically boom or bust

The dude next to me at the bar was super excited about Watson so hopefully he knows more than me. I was disgusted by the JJ Watt pick so

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm still surprised that 3 QBs went that high (and got traded up for) but if you really think you've got your next franchise QB you kinda need to go for it. I just really don't understand why the Bears made that trade though, I can't believe that KC or Houston would have realistically jumped up that far and other than the Jets I don't think any other team in the top 20 picks or so would have been willing to jump that for for a new QB either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Strobe posted:

I think Mahomes definitely has a lower floor, and with anybody but noted QB coach Andy Reid I'd be livid and/or worried sick. But I think Mahomes also has a ceiling best measured in miles and could be a goddamn riot to watch in a couple years, and will take it.

Agreed. Any other spot and it would be terrible, but Reid is drat good at what he does.

• Locked thread