Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Sign me up. Here's a prelim list of what I'm gonna try to get to this month (assuming all are somewhere streaming, including amazon rental):

The Void
The Asphyx
The Eyes of My Mother
The Lobster
Ghostwatch
Frailty
Black Devil Doll from Hell
I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House
Contamination
The Wailing
Ouija: Origin of Evil
The Visit
From Beyond

All of those would be first time, excepting From Beyond (I was planning on watching that again soon anyways so might as well do it now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

My go-to Shudder wildcard is Dead and Buried. Most people haven't ever heard of it, and neither had I until last year when it came up in the horror thread.

Dead and Buried is great.

Also rewatched From Beyond, great as always. But since I've already seen it, figure I'll try to watch something new so throw me down for a shudder wildcard.

Spatulater bro! posted:

I think VHS Viral is worth watching. It's the weakest of the three by a large margin, but it has Parallel Monsters which is really great.

I think the stories are fine, it's the wraparound that's kinda junk. Also I think Parallel Monsters is the weakest imo-I think it would've been better if it was more low-key with what happens. I just found it kinda goofy, and not in a good way. Bonestorm's one of my favorites in the whole series-it's basically a live-action zombie video game.

And without going too far astray, how do people feel about the ABC's of Death, or The Theatre Bizarre?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

ABCs of Death is steaming garbage. I haven't seen the sequel.

Shudder wild card recommendation: Tombs of the Blind Dead

Well fwiw I found the second better, at least some of the segments.

And that's a great choice, but I've seen it already :(. Got another?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

ABC's of Death has one or two great shorts, some good shorts, but most of them are bad and some are outright offensively distasteful. ABCs 2 is even worse, but it had this cool short.

Have you seen Blood Diner?

edit: Wow, two recs for Blood Diner for two different people. So I'll also throw out Willow Creek

Unfortunately I've seen both (also seen Blood Feast, the movie Diner was a sorta-sequel to). Willow Creek was cool, didn't expect anything like that based on who directed it.

Also surprised you thought ABCs 2 was worse, I found the good segments were much stronger. Zygote especially was really something. Also apparently there was a 2.5, but I've not seen that.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 2, 2017

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Shudder Wildcard recommendation: The Unholy

This will be the one, as I've seen Pieces (also The Church, which was mentioned after). Thanks everyone!

I'll also probably check out Q, as I've seen a few other of Cohen's movies and loved them.

DC Murderverse posted:

I know he literally won an Oscar for it, but I can't imagine Anthony Hopkins being more terrifying that Mads Mikkelson. he's so loving charming and frightening alternatingly. And the food in that show is more well shot than any movie I've seen aside from maybe Jiro Dreams of Sushi.

I think Mads does a much better job than Hopkins tbh. Hopkins seems like a crazy dude, Mads is much more inhuman and predatory imo.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 3, 2017

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

1) The Asphyx

This is a movie I would've ignored if not for the horror thread. There's a surprising amount of things going on here if you look, even though a lot of stuff doesn't seem to get fleshed out. You have class issues, political upheaval, secret societies, occultism, and family drama that all appear as background elements. It does work to keep you somewhat guessing until the last third or so of the movie, where it resembles something that Poe or some similar horror author from that era would've written. For me though there were a couple of things in the plot that kinda detracted from it for whatever reason they chose to use the relatively messy guillotine to give the daughter immortality, rather than the electric chair or oxygen deprivation tank that were otherwise used, which of course caused a messy botch that led to everything else happening. also, the letter Giles leaves-if it's really the combination why the elaborate way to kill himself? and if it wasn't (as I assumed), why have Hugo burn it anyways?) . But otherwise, it was a pretty fun movie,

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 7, 2017

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

I've been slacking a bit but just means I'll get to marathon some stuff later! I did get in one movie over the weekend though

2) Ghostwatch

This has been getting talked up a lot recently in the horror thread since it was added to Shudder. And with good reason, it's a very good movie. Basic premise is that the BBC is filming a haunted house special on Halloween, and are sending in a team to investigate a particularly haunted house. However, unlike a "pure" found-footage movie, it's handled more like a news broadcast-with on-scene reporters and a separate studio anchor. It works well building tension until everything goes off the rails at the end. Everyone seems to play their part well throughout, helping give it a very "real" feel (it's unsurprising that some people were initially fooled into thinking it was real). Really well done, lots of modern movies could take some notes from this how to do found footage style stuff.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

I'm ashamed I didn't finish the challenge (I did get in some more movies, but not 13), and doubly shamed I missed the redemption viewing (although I've already seen night train to terror).

As penance if people want, the dudes who finished can pick 3 movies that I'll watch and do a minimum 500 word writeup about each. Only requirement is they're up on streaming (amazon prime, shudder, hulu, netflix, youtube). If this thread gets unstickied/disappeared, i'll post in the main horror thread.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I nominate(and obviously throw out any you've seen before):

The Eyes of My Mother(Netflix)
Baskin(Netflix)
Pieces(Shudder)
Dead and Buried(Shudder)
The Stuff(Shudder)

You have any problems with certain types of horror? If you're not into the more graphic blood and guts kind of horror then steer clear of Baskin.

I was actually gonna keep on things I'd seen before, just to make things easy. But it's probably more fun if I limit to new things.

So with that, The Eyes of My Mother is a nominee.

Baskin I actually didn't think was quite as graphic as some people make it out to be (I also thought the parts before they enter the facility and you get all the gore were the best, just a tense atmosphere)
Pieces is a fun movie, but I thought it was a bit uneven. Great for groups though.
Dead and Buried is one of my favorites and I've actually seen it a few times. Really deserves more of a following imo.
The Stuff is another of my favs I've seen a whole bunch (actually rewatched it again in May). For how goofy a lot of the goings on are, there's actually quite a mean edge to it. I also love the end where they show people still buying and selling black market stuff, even after it's shown to rot your insides

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Irony.or.Death posted:

Because I want to hurt you for your failure and because we never talk about category 3 stuff in this the horror thread, I'm going to nominate The Untold Story (1993).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NevT4kH2luA

I think I started watching this before during my asian extreme phase but it was so bad I cut it off or fast-forwarded through it so it'll be suitably punishing.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Have you seen Fascination? If not, that's one you should watch. It's on Shudder.

I've actually seen it. And as an aside, I've been surprised how well received Jean Rollin seems by people in the thread. I've seen a bunch of his movies but I've not really been too impressed. They just seem to have much going on, besides naked women and pretty scenery (as nice as those things are).

Franchescanado posted:

The Creeping Terror should be punishment enough.

Edit: it's on Shudder. MST3k version is not allowed.
This looks...interesting.

So if there's no other suggestions, I'll be checking out The Eyes of My Mother, The Creeping Terror, and...the Untold Story. With a writeup on each after.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

So for my first punishment viewing...

The Eyes of My Mother

This review is gonna be a bit all over the place because I'm still not sure what to make of this movie. Also there will likely be some spoiler-y things as well, so if you've not seen it it may be good to not read further. I'm fairly sure it's a good movie. I think it deserves another viewing, but I'm not sure if I actually want to watch it again. It's not a particularly pleasant viewing experience, in many ways. The movie is quite beautiful, and there's some amazing shots. But there's also a lot of extremely uncomfortable and grotesque scenes. There's a ton of stuff that seems unanswered, that lends the movie a very dreamlike, surreal quality. Why is someone who was a surgeon in Portugal living on a farm in rural America? Francisca herself seems to have been slightly off even prior to her mother's death (I wondered if this indicated child abuse, but the signs are so vague it's hard to tell). The time period is also indistinct. It's hard to tell if the farm they live on is set in the 50's/60's, or if it's just the home itself that's in the past. Most of the violence occurs off-screen, or out of direct view. Yet, it doesn't lose any of the impact (similar to how in Texas Chainsaw Massacre you feel like you've seen a lot more of the violence than is actually shown). You always just see the aftermath (body parts being bagged, the aftermath of Charlie/Lucy's capture). If I were to compare it to anything, it would be some Antichrist/Henry hybrid. Francisca isn't nearly as dispassionate at killing as Henry, although there is a lot of the same immoral aspect to how she goes about her actions (especially since she doesn't always kill her victims). At times she's almost sympathetic, but never quite reaches that threshold-you can see what might have made her the way she is, but her actions are too extreme to be able to overlook.

As I said that was a bit rambly and there's a ton more I could probably say but I'm still somewhat processing the movie (and I may edit some more in later). It's undoubtedly very powerful, and interesting, and I'm glad I watched it. Just not sure if I'll ever go back again.

Next up will be The Creeping Terror.

edit-Had a bit of time to think about this, and the more I do the more I believe that it genuinely has the chance to be a classic. It's almost like a fairy tale-there's an unreality about everything that persists despite how clearly and crisply the movie is shot. It's not hard to see parents scaring their children about crazy Francisca living on the barn in the woods, kidnapping people to remake the family she had taken from her. The extreme violence and depravity of her acts aren't even out of place as traditional fairy tales are filled with all sorts of violence and cruelty.

Above I compared Francisca to Henry, but in hindsight that's not really correct. She only really killed when people tried to leave her (despite agreeing that it feels amazing). She's something altogether different. Her motives are fairly clear, although it's not entirely certain how exactly she got to the place she's at.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Continuing my penance:

The Untold Story

The Untold Story is a Hong Kong movie "based on a true story". IT's about a guy Wong who flees Hong Kong to Macau after being wanted for murder. He takes up a job at a restaurant, gets caught cheating at Mah Jong, and kills the owner and the owner's family while taking over the restaurant. He then proceeds to kill any employee who starts to suspect anything about what he did. The second half of the movie finds him captured with the police trying to get a confession from him (as there's no evidence of his crimes due to his way of disposing the bodies).

So I'd actually seen this before a long time ago, and to be fair, it's not as bad as I remembered. However, that doesn't mean it's any good. It's a Category III movie, which in Hong Kong basically means hard R/NC-17. Basically, there's tons of gore and/or nudity. And this movie's no different. There's a fairly graphic rape scene, and tons of grisly murders. However, the effects are somewhat tame in comparison to a lot of extreme horror. There's not much here to recommend to true gorehounds, although in terms of the average horror movie it's definitely a bit on the gory end.

And really, that's about all there would be to recommend about it. There's no real tension throughout, nothing really seems to bring about horror. It's also not interested in any sort of character study like Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer that may give some depth to Wong. He's just a dude who kills people because the plot dictates it. The police are largely there for comedy relief (something I've noticed in many asian horror movies is the tendency to have comedic elements that border on slapstick), but they don't provide any real laughs (certainly not enough to recommend it as a horror comedy). And all around it's just a mean, dull movie. The second half with Wong in prison and the police trying to get a confession is nothing really more than one scene after another of Wong being beaten, tortured, or trying to mutilate himself somehow (to escape being prosecuted for his murders). When he finally confesses and tells how he killed the restaurant owner's family, there's almost no impact, just a feeling of relief that the movie is nearing it's end. The tone of a lot of the killing just seems to be off as well-everything's so ridiculous and over the top that it's hard to take serious, yet it's not over the top enough to actually be funny/entertaining.

I believe this film has (had?) some notoriety for being an example of "extreme asian" cinema (along with stuff like Riki-oh, and Audition, etc), but really there's much better examples if that's what someone is looking for. Cold Fish is about 10x the serial killer movie that this is, off the top of my head. I will say though that this was an extremely good choice for a punishment movie, so there's that at least going for it.

• Locked thread