Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
If you don't post Possession as one of the movies to watch , the horror thread will disown you.

Put me down for 12 movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_OUDpUhle8

edit:

I'll change my challenge to 13.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

More Jean Rollin:
25. The Rape of the Vampire
26. Living Dead Girl
27. Requiem for a Vampire

A good selection but really you should add Fascination ..

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Does watching Fright Night 13 times count? Just need some clarification.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Okay

1. The Girl with all the Gifts : Overall I really enjoyed this ( although I still insist I remember reading a comic book version of this). Excellent acting , a seeing Glen Close in this movie really surprised me. She's such a gem in any movie she is in. It's disappointing that this film has not gotten better attention. I will say as well having played The Last of Us video game that the plot ( it's a fungus!!) that makes Zombies was a little to similar in some aspects. It also have a phenomenal performance by the young Sennia Nanua . All around it was well paced film, the only weak spots were some of the matte paintings ( I assuming matte painting ) visuals , but it's understandable with such a low budget.

On the spook scale I would rate this

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: out 5

2. Split I was really apprehensive about this because I really don't like "mental illness gives you powers"! However, I thought the way they portrayed the psychiatrist and Macvoy's relationship with her was pretty good actually. I still didn't really like that the theme of the film seems to be that pain and suffering is necessary to be a better person. Overall I enjoyed the film but I had some issues with how it portrayed women and some statements that it seemed to make about abuse.

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: out of 5

11 to go.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 30, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

If you want a balls out crazy film watch We Are the Flesh or The Unholy

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

3. Spring (2014 film) I have to say I don't know how I missed this despite the horror thread adulation. Excellent low key romantic horror fantasy film. This was by the same creators of the very excellent low budget horror Resolution . Excellently acted , excellent special effects for it's budget and a absolutely fantastic " HOLY loving poo poo BALLS ON CRACKERS" Possession level insane scene. You've got excellent performances, beautifully shot cinematography , and I think perfect pacing. It's also very funny. In a way it's like Possession meets a Richard Linklater film. I can't recommend it enough. It's rare that we get a really great entry into Romantic Horror something that really isn't done often. It's free on Amazon Prime.

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: out of 5.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

4. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein directed by Kenneth Branagh. Honestly, I had forgotten how good this was. Many people consider this to be a bad film and it did not fair well with reviews, but it's still one of the better adaptations of the source material. There aren't any punches pulled in the film either with brutal violence and gore in the film. The score is huge and bombastic and the visuals are just as striking. I think people overlook it this because maybe they're not used to these types of films specifically a tragedy which is what the film is. Deniro is pretty amazing as the Creature and Branagh's take on Frankenstein is much different than other films where he is portrayed as malevolently arrogant, where here you feel pity for both Creature and Creator. If you like huge scale gothic horror films then you'll probably like this.

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: out of 5

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

There actually is sequel to Fright Night it was not as good and there has not been a good release of it on DVD/Blu Ray so that's another problem. I think there are probably issues to related to rights etc... that are preventing it from being released again on DVD/Blu Ray.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Shudder Wildcard recommendation: The Unholy

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I just looked on my Shudder phone App and Q the Winged Serpent is on there . Are you in Canada or the UK because those countries have different libraries to the US one.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Crisis averted.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

5. A Field in England Well, I had been meaning to watch this for a while, but I think I started it and never got into it. Overall it's a trippy as hell low budget black and white horror film ( an interesting choice which lends to some incredible scenes). I enjoyed it overall. It's very well acted and has some genuinely pretty funny moments. The end goes all out with some pretty interesting visual imagery. It's a little difficult to follow what is actually occuring during the film ,but this just lends to this kind of dream like quality to it. If you like avante garde horror or art house horror I think you'd enjoy this. Oh it's directed by Ben Wheatley who did the excellent High Rise adaptation. He's the one that is working on the movie Freakshift

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: out of 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mCIyqvBzkk

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 3, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

If TV shows count then I get credit for sitting through episode 1 of Ultraviolet which uh.. has not aged well.

Henry : Portrait of a Serial Killer is a must watch as a horror fan seriously, it's like if you had never seen Nightmare of Elm Street

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 3, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

alansmithee posted:

This will be the one, as I've seen Pieces (also The Church, which was mentioned after). Thanks everyone!

I'll also probably check out Q, as I've seen a few other of Cohen's movies and loved them.

I think Mads does a much better job than Hopkins tbh. Hopkins seems like a crazy dude, Mads is much more inhuman and predatory imo.

It's a really good movie and just goes from like 0 to Holy poo poo in like 30 seconds toward the end.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wait why is Henry in only 4:3 ratio am I crazy was it never in widescreen, I am watching it right now as one of my entries.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

6. Maniac Cop , directed by Lustig and written by Larry Cohen ( yes, that Larry Cohen). Starring Bruce Campbell and establishing his inability to act in any role that isn't Ash Williams. The film starts Robert Z'Dar the most famous person with cherubism as a cop returned from the "dead" ( honestly I never understood the whole thing really, I think that Voodoo was established as how he came back at some point). This is some standard slasher fare 80s horror. It's not amazing, but it does have Tom Atkins showing that he has one role he can play, a pissed off cop, who's going to get poo poo done and he plays it fantastically. Honestly, the sequel to this is actually better than the first film which is something you can't say about most sequels. I actually don't think this kind of thing could be made today because of one scene in the movie A cop pulls over a woman, she thinks he is the Maniac Cop and graphically blows his brains out . You should watch it because come on it has Bruce Campbell and Tom Atkins, a insane zombie? cop who goes around New York killing people randomly and its written by Larry Cohen. It still has that New York is a sleazeball town feel and look that everyone was familiar with in the 80s. Most of the neighborhoods you see in this film are now artisanal soap and coffee shops along with 1 million dollar 500 square foot apartments.

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: out of 5.

7. Sweet Sweet Lonely Girl directed and written by A.D. Calvo. Despite some flaws in narrative structure , I think this is a pretty great film. It's difficult to write about without spoiling it. The film follows a young woman sent to care for her agoraphobic aunt who never leaves her room at her Norman Bates giant gothic house. The acting is pretty good , although spotty at some dramatic points. Erin Wilhelmi though does a great job playing Adele a very lonely girl who of course meets a dark haired stranger and becomes enamored with her. This is all classic Poe. The film is like a adaptation of a poorly received Poe story that was never written. Even though the film has flaws it doesn't over stay it's welcome with being only 76 minutes in run time. It also shares a dreamlike quality similar to erotic horror in the 70s with thread bare plot and really minimum dialogue. I'd say give this one a go, it's 76 minutes so you may like it you may not. I enjoyed it overall though and think it's worth watching.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 5, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

Is this streaming someplace free now? I didn't hate it but I did think it was too dark to follow a lot of the action on my TV. I'd be interested in watching parts of it on my PC again to see what I missed, but I don't want to pay for it again.

I think it's worth the 7 dollars it costs to rent on Amazon Prime. That's where I watched it. If you already watched it I'd just say wait it'll probably be on Shudder or Amazon for free in a few months.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Bride of Re-Animator is actually just as good as the first one.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

8. The Burning The Weinsteins ( and Miramax) first film. It has special effects by Tom Savini when he was really at the top of his game in that department. It's actually one of the better done slasher films and I think one of the best. The only weakness I find is that it has some fairly weak female roles, which is unusual because it does not follow the standard "final girl", although this also kind of gives it a unique quality compared to other slashes at the time as the Final Girl is a man. It's a great 1980s horror films and one of the best by the "books" slasher horror films. It doesn't reinvent the wheel or anything but it does everything so well that you don't really care. It's got an amazing young cast as well. I think the thing that changes the film really and puts it in the great column is that there are genuinely well acted roles in this and you actually do care about the kids in the film.

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: out of 5.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 6, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

At the rate everyone watches movie everyone will be done by like next weekend.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Irony.or.Death posted:

I'm way behind because I keep watching episodes of Jordskott instead. Jordskott is really good you guys.

Yeah I gotta rewatch it. I keep trying to watch it when I'm drunk and that is a terrible idea. I really liked the first 3 episodes and really loving enjoyed the hell out of it.

I think it counts though if you watch it just like post a review.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 7, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

You all should look up him reading The Raven

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

9. Underworld : Blood Wars Okay so the series is my guilty pleasure. It's terribly acted , terrible plot, horrible dialogue, but I like them. Total schlock all around. Just really mindless visuals and action sequence. I am not sure which is worse this or Resident Evil. Despite all of that I still sort of enjoyed it although for ageless vampire Beckinsale age is starting to show in these films. Uh.. only watch this if you are like " Yes, I like terrible movies". Cause this is some Asylum level poo poo.

:spooky: :spooky: out of 5.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

10. Ms. 45 A low budget Abel Ferrara rape revenge film about a mute woman who goes on a killing spree. Honestly, despite the subject matter I would not say this is really a graphic film at all. It's not near as graphic as other films in this genre and the sexual violence is incredibly brief. The main character is a mute and has no dialogue in the film which is interesting because her motivations are pretty much just left to the interpretation of the viewer. Some people call this film misandric but it really isn't. Despite being made for only 60,000 dollars the film certainly looks really good. It's actually other than a few bad actors pretty well acted. The main actress does a lot with no dialogue. I am unsure why this got on the list of video nasties ( I think it was in fact one of them). New York is it's own character in this movie similar to how it was in previous films with all the dirt and grime of New York of the 80s and there are some honestly really great shots of New York in this. Things move at a pretty brisk pace in this with it being only around 80 minutes. It's also got some truly bizarre characters that you'd expect in a Ferrara film and there is one scene in particular that will make you go WTF. I think if you like Ferrara films you'll like this but if you're not familiar with him then maybe check out the better Driller Killer first.

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: out 5

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 8, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Contamination is pretty amazing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

I somehow haven't seen City of the Living Dead yet, I should get on that, thanks for the recommendations! Luigi Cozzi (the Contamination guy) has other movies I'm meaning to check out too, I have seen his glorious Hercules movies though.

You'll really dig Contamination it's got a killer soundtrack by Goblin as well.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

When I watched Contracted, I think I had it confused with Contamination.

HOw?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

11. The Visitor (1979) This film is what would happen is if The Birds, The Omen, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Manitou, and Firestarter all did acid at a swingers party and then one of them had a child of undetermined parentage. This film is weird as hell. It's got a very young Lance Henriksen. The break out stars of this film are the young girls Alabama accent and Glen Ford's herpes mouth sore which hilariously disappears and reappears through out his scenes. They try to cover it up with make up and that just calls even more attention to it. Oh and Yah Weh and Satan are actually aliens. There's some trippy as hell imagery through out.

Jesus, and his cult of bald children?

Oh and birds are evil. Especially Hawks.

It's actually despite all of this just weird enough to grab your attention.

:parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: out of :psyduck:

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 10, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Lips of Blood is probably his best work and most introspective as to his film making and just like him as a person. Also, probably one of the more coherent ones.

(this is from Requiem for a Vampire)

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 10, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

12. Stakeland 2 : The Stakelander For a made for TV movie for SyFy this film is really way better than it should be. If the SyFy channel could produce more of these types instead of the garbage Asylum they put on they'd probably do way better. Unfortunately the original director of the first film Jim Mickle didn't return for the sequel and you can really tell the tone has changed . It continues directly a few years later with the Mister and Martin ( two guesses why he is named this) return. The film suffers from a last act that can be described as barely visible. Seriously directors need to realize that yeah it looks dark and cool for a little while then you can't see poo poo. There's a reason taht they did blue tint for nigh in films for decades. The film is obviously low budget but you'd never know, it makes great use of of landscape imagery throughout just showing the emptiness of things. I'd say it doesn't live up to the sheer badassery of the first film , but it is still a really decent sequel, with some really great touching character moments, and one scene in particular that I just loved. It also was surpising to see STeven Willams in this ( Creighton Duke from Jason goes to Hell). It's a fun film and it does not wear out it's welcome at 85 minutes ( which I still insist horror films are always better with a leaner run time). The special effects again as the first are pretty top notch and pretty much all practical as well.

One more movie to go ( I'm probably just going to rewatch The Devils) I may watch a new film haven't decided what though.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 12, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The Burning also kind of flips the script on standard slashers by having the final girl be a young man. Although I think this is just because it's kind of misogynistic.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah , I'd say the definitive slasher as probably F13 part 2

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I'd say Halloween is a better movie, but just as the perfect example to point to immediately and say " That is a slasher that follows all of the main stereotypes of the genre" it'd be F13 part 2. It's the stereotypical slasher.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'll fight someone over whether Jason X isn't one of the best slashers ever made.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

You're going down, you wrong-rear end philistine.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The only thing bad about Jason X is that they did not make a sequel.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I haven't seen Jason X in probably a decade. I may rewatch it if I can find it soon enough and with ease.

It's on Amazon Prime I think.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Naw, I just checked and it cost a few dollars. If I'm going to pay for it, it's going to be to own it. even if it's on DVD. It's one of three F13s I don't own.

Odd, I thought all the Friday the 13th films were on there.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Irony.or.Death posted:

I guess I'm just going to keep going even though I was only in for 13. I mean, why would you stop watching horror movies, really?

14. The Evil Within (2017) - Someone mentioned this just hit Amazon and I have literally no self control, so here we go. This thing is a beautiful mess. It made a bad first impression with some cringe-inducing narration in the intro. It kind of looks like one of the less-beloved Full Moon productions; soft focus all over and an inescapable feeling of incredibly cheap sets. It doesn't take too long to hit its weird lurching stride, though, and it's at least visually engaging from the very start. I can't remember the last time I had this much fun looking at stop-motion work. It's obviously not the result of a large budget or a great deal of experience, but it's equally obvious that a great deal of passion went into it. Highly recommended if you're willing to overlook the rough edges. There are like a billion cool moments I could turn into gifs but I'd hate to show too much so just have this clip of a newscaster extolling the virtues of sleep.

You can't post about The Evil Within without the completely insane back story of how it was the passion project of a meth addicted millionaire.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/mar/14/the-evil-within-horror-movie-andrew-getty-millionaire-meth

It's loving crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

There's a few posters in the horror thread to be jealous of as they have seen it and said it was really good.

• Locked thread