Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I recommend Cthulhu from a few years ago. Very interesting and good film. Interesting for a queer perspective on Lovecraft horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

You're right, I've seen Messiah of Evil, but not The Resurrected, and yea that looks absolutely perfect. Available on youtube too, and directed by loving Dan O'Bannon. So uhhhh, how have I not heard of this before?

I can't seem to find any info on Cthulhu though, at least not on Amazon.

Strange I thought it was on Amazon. Its worth tracking down.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I guess I'll probably go see Alien Covenant as well for my 13th movie

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

20. Dracula's Daughter

A direct sequel to Dracula, the only returning cast member is Edward Van Sloan as Von Helsing. Why they had to all of the sudden change his name from Van to Von Helsing is anyone's guess, probably a rights issue.

Gloria Holden actually ends up filling the shoes of Lugosi quite nicely as Dracula's daughter. She has the aristocratic attitude and manner of speech down perfectly, and the way she's lit always makes her seem ghoulish and unsettling, yet still beautiful. The story isn't as reliably entertaining as the typical Dracula story(they're usually structured fairly closely to Stoker's original), but as with all the horror films Universal produced, its has a brisk pace and doesn't overstay its welcome.

Visually these sequels have all been very nice looking in my opinion, I'm not noticing a major step down in that department from the original. Lots of really nice dynamic lighting and shadow that take make almost every shot interesting to look at in some way. Does anyone know what the overall consensus is on this film versus Son of Dracula? From what I've read the critics were pretty divided on Dracula's Daughter, and I don't know if fans today appreciate it or not. I definitely enjoyed it though as a solid sequel that doesn't overly depend on good will for the original.

Draculas Daughter is the first lesbian vampire film. It's really one of the first examples if not the first absolutely queer horror film. I enjoy the film tremendously. It's easily one of my top films If early horror. The film itself was also in areas marketed as a lesbian vampire film.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 19, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

13. Alien Covenant Well I have to say I didn't really have any real high expectations for this after the previous film was pretty bland. Gotta say I really enjoyed this a lot. Ridley Scott definitely still has it as a director. It's hard to discuss this without spoiling it but I thought it was probably as good as the first two Alien films. However, it was just really really different in tone. Super gory as well.so that was great, plus some great set design as well.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Day if the Dead is on Shudder

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Bonus Movie : The Black Coats Daughter This showed up on Amazon Prime so I decided to give it a go. I'm glad I did. We don't get mean spirited horror that often, but this one sure is. I'll say that the acting, directing, and cinematography is really good. I don't want to spoil anything but I was overall really impressed with it as a first film from Oz Perkins. Who is Oz Perkins? Anthony Perkins son! He also wrote and directed I am the Pretty Thing that Lives in the House which I have not seen yet. I really look forward to more of his horror efforts. Hopefully , we'll see more work from him.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Deathdream is loving awesome and more people should watch it because it's just a really great horror film. I highly recommend searching out the edition that has the extended ending sequence. It's a favorite film of the horror thread.

Here it is on youtube but in a very bad quality

Spoiler of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfBY8HHJm8w

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 29, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah. It also made me really appreciate Amazon Prime, which up until now I thought was superfluous with Netflix's catalog. Searching for horror movies made me find a bunch of titles I really need to watch. Their interface is just lovely for finding titles.

I was looking at your Letterboxd, and I've never seen Lawrence of Arabia because I can't devote 4 hours to a movie. I think I might try, though.

Not only is their interface poo poo they miscategorize horror movies. Hulu has a even worse interface now. You can't even scroll through the whole collection it's such a bullshit thing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I think the losers all have to watch Night Train of Terror or Deadtime Stories

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 1, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Hulu actually has a decent selection of Horror but they also got The Outer Limits and Night Gallery , Dark Shadows etc..

They have a good selection of Horror TB series.

Just wish we'd get a streaming service to add Tales from the Crypt

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

AVOID!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I don't think Body Melt get's mentioned enough.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This thread should become the workshop thread for Gremlins 3 .

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Sure sounds greaaaat

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

I would combine the boob-gremlin with the electric one and make a shockingly boobtastic gremlin

I don't think gremlins should be sexualized but ......

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

:yikes:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I believe there was unnecessary added CGI to her face and there was some minor CGI clean ups of effects.

Edit: Oh and the ghost mom at the end and some.demon faces showing up in objects.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 14, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's noticable at the end where Reagan's face is demon like.

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=5706806

Here's the full differences although it doesn't have the effects clean up stuff.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Having seen the Blu ray I can say that it is simply fantastic transfer. Watched it on a 60 inch TV and it's just phenomenal

• Locked thread