Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

Wow this month's flying by and I still have tons to get to.

I'm carefully planning the end of the month because May 31st is my birthday and I want to watch From Beyond that day.

Any lesser known Lovecraftian horror I might be able to throw in there to make it a themed marathon? I've seen all the obvious stuff like Gordon's, In the Mouth of Madness, The Thing, Necronomicon etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Dunwich Horror's been on my radar before yea, probably a good time to check it out. It's available to rent on Amazon.

Gordon also did Dreams in the Witch House for Masters of Horror, that's an option.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Haven't tracked down the Black Cat episode of MoH just because at this point I've seen like 3 different adaptations of that same story, just watched Fulci's a few months ago.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I honestly can't imagine it being similar to other adaptations since it's heavily about Poe's personal demons and him writing The Black Cat more than it is about The Black Cat.

It actually sounds like a loose adaptation of that Poe stage play that Gordon and Combs do.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Maybe! I haven't had a chance to see it, and so haven't read about it so I don't feel bad.

I saw a few clips of the show on youtube and it seems to be primarily Combs in full Poe makeup telling stories about his work while getting more and more wasted as the show goes on, until by the end Poe is just completely slurring every word and his shirt is half hanging out of his pants. I imagine the full experience is pretty hilarious.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

drat, now I'm sad.

I wish it were easier to see plays like that, that have incredibly limited runs/availability. I got to watch Evil Dead The Musical because the cast filmed an entire performance and I found it online, back when it was planning to only be limited. Then the popularity let it run on for another year or two.

Hollismason posted an interesting Q&A with Combs in the horror thread recently where he talks about how difficult it is to get the Poe show(I think its called Nevermore) out on tour. It's a poo poo ton of work to arrange all of it and it sounds like he and his agent basically have to do it all because the show isn't really a moneymaker or anything. Theatres aren't exactly lining up to book them, and Combs lives full time in L.A. so his focus is more on just doing the show there in the theatre where he did it initially.

That was from a Q&A from like 8 years ago too, I think since then the theatre they were using in L.A. closed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I've seen Dagon, definitely underrated. That's exactly rhe kind of recommendation I'm looking for though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Irony.or.Death posted:

I'm like 90% sure you've already seen Messiah of Evil but if not definitely watch it. It's a little bit of a stretch but you might also give The Corridor (2010) or Yellowbrickroad a shot.

Oh, and The Resurrected (1991)! That's one I hadn't heard of until I watched it for last October's challenge and it's probably my favorite non-Gordon straight adaptation.

You're right, I've seen Messiah of Evil, but not The Resurrected, and yea that looks absolutely perfect. Available on youtube too, and directed by loving Dan O'Bannon. So uhhhh, how have I not heard of this before?

I can't seem to find any info on Cthulhu though, at least not on Amazon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maybe something that would be considered gothic horror? One of the classic Universal films or maybe something from Hammer?

I'm just trying to figure out a new category of horror that you haven't covered yet.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

Man I'm getting behind. Been super busy this week. I'm catching Alien Covenant tonight so that'll probably be my #13.

Wtf, Covenant comes out today? I assumed you were talking about a midnight showing but my theatre has one at 7 and 10pm. I think I'm gonna see it too, so far I've managed to stay completely unspoiled, which is basically the complete opposite of what happened with Prometheus. Very hyped.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

Well it officially comes out tomorrow, with "midnight" showings tonight. It's just that theaters have begun changing their definition of midnight to mean 7pm.

I had idea, last midnight showing I went to was back in the old days when midnight showings were actually midnight(like 5 years ago).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Hell, some theaters now show the Friday releases on Wednesday.

Is Promethius considered horror? I haven't watched an alien or zombie movie for the callenge yet

I'd say so, its certainly Lovecraftian. Probably the closest thing to At the Mountains of Madness we'll ever get.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
20. Dracula's Daughter

A direct sequel to Dracula, the only returning cast member is Edward Van Sloan as Von Helsing. Why they had to all of the sudden change his name from Van to Von Helsing is anyone's guess, probably a rights issue.

Gloria Holden actually ends up filling the shoes of Lugosi quite nicely as Dracula's daughter. She has the aristocratic attitude and manner of speech down perfectly, and the way she's lit always makes her seem ghoulish and unsettling, yet still beautiful. The story isn't as reliably entertaining as the typical Dracula story(they're usually structured fairly closely to Stoker's original), but as with all the horror films Universal produced, its has a brisk pace and doesn't overstay its welcome.

Visually these sequels have all been very nice looking in my opinion, I'm not noticing a major step down in that department from the original. Lots of really nice dynamic lighting and shadow that take make almost every shot interesting to look at in some way. Does anyone know what the overall consensus is on this film versus Son of Dracula? From what I've read the critics were pretty divided on Dracula's Daughter, and I don't know if fans today appreciate it or not. I definitely enjoyed it though as a solid sequel that doesn't overly depend on good will for the original.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You probably already know this, but just to be clear, there's two different Bavas, a father and a son. Mario Bava is the godfather of Italian horror, the master. Lamberto Bava, who did the Demons films, is his son and also a solid director in his own right, just not on the same level as the OG Bava.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd argue that The Fog is definitely Carpenter's best looking film, even more so than Halloween. I'm very partial to that setting though, I love the first half of the movie where a lot of it takes place during the day.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Telly Salavas out of nowhere is one of the greatest things about Horror Express. One of, there are many great things about Horror Express.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
21.Alien: Covenant

Well, I wasn't planning on counting this but it ended up being much more of a straight-up horror movie than I was expecting. It doesn't straddle the fence like Prometheus did, Covenant dives right into horror in ways that the series never had before. Fassbender's David is has now made the full transition from modern Prometheus all the way to Cushing's scheming, manipulative Frankenstein.

The realization that yes, David can now look you dead in the eye and lie about something of life or death importance is pretty terrifying. "It's perfectly safe". Sure, David, I totally trust you.

There's some truly haunting imagery here, just as there was in Prometheus, and the series seems to be shaping up as on of the most comprehensive pieces of adult science fiction in film history. This film even more so than Prometheus has a little something for all fans of the series, and even the more traditional slasher portions are well done and extremely violent and gory.

I'm not sure Covenant is better than Prometheus, but its different enough that the two need not be directly compared. There's actual progression here that I really appreciate for such a long standing series.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

10. Pieces - What a hilarious movie. From the chainsaw being at crotch level every time it's held to the goofy characters and dialogue this movie was a joy. My buddy and I couldn't stop laughing at almost every character interaction.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y86_YT4oRG8

Some of the effects were good and the slow motion waterbed killing was cool, but some of the cheaper effects were just too hilarious to not laugh at (looking at you prop arm flying off). The movie is a straightforward slasher with a killer stalking college girls to complete his puzzle. It chucks suspects at you left and right and there's shot where they compile a bunch of the suspects into one shot that's great. The groundskeeper stole the show in his scenes. Kung-fu professor was also a bizarre but scene.

It's a fun sloppy movie and I'm surprised at how well it all works, flaws and all.

2.5/5

Previous Watches:
1. Black Sabbath, 2. The Asphyx, 3. Street Trash, 4. Serial Mom, 5. Graveyard Shift, 6. Dracula A.D. 1972, 7.Horror Express, 8. The Mummy, 9. Brides of Dracula

You've had quite a month. That lineup is ridiculous.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
22.Get Out

This was a really tight film, everything about it is just very well crafted. Maybe it didn't blow me away, but its just really solid in every area, and Peele obviously knows the genre well enough to effectively play with our expectations. He clearly knew that the audience would be getting Stepford Wives vibes from the first half of the film, and he uses that to deliver a pretty crazy twist that, like all great twists, should be obvious in retrospect.

I think my favorite little joke along those lines is an early scene where Chris goes out in the middle of the night for a smoke, and the creepy groundskeeper just runs full speed right at him with this intense look on his face. Then he veers off at the very last second and Chris is left there thinking "what the gently caress was that!". Given everything that's gone on so far it's easy to assume that these are robots, but once you find out the truth you realize that no, actually that was just the grandfather doing his weird grandpa laps around the house to stay fit.

Or how the girlfriend has a line at the beginning about her father, something like "does he come with an off switch?!?", that really leads you down that path so that you're not expecting what's actually going on. Just very, very clever and there's probably ten other moments that would jump out at me on a rewatch that I missed the first time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
City of the Living Dead is so good, but for some reason it didn't click with me until the second viewing. Not sure why. It has some of the sickest(in a good way!and also a bad way) gore Fulci ever did, just physically revolting stuff that made me look away from the screen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

If it's sreaming somewhere, I'd watch it sometime soon. I missed it when it was on Netflix.

Right now its available with a Shout Factory add-on to Prime, which you can pick up a 7day free trial for and cancel before you get charged anything.

Day of the Dead is my favorite Romero film(full disclosure: I've never seen Martin). It's a lot more intense than Dawn and the characters are more compelling than Night of the Living Dead in my opinion.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

Oh drat Shout Factory has a channel? Man that's gunna be tempting even with my Shudder backlog

It's not Scream Factory, which is their horror specific brand, its Shout Factory, so its a mix of everything. Right now they have a lot of Herzog up, including Nosferatu.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Day if the Dead is on Shudder

Same thing happened to me when I searched for it though, it came up as only free through Shout Factory, when it should have told me I have access to it through my Shudder subscription.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I watched a bunch of Masters of Horror episodes. I'm just including them all as my 23rd entry in the Challenge. I have two more lined up for an even 25.

H.P. Lovecraft's Dreams in the Witch House, directed by Stuart Gordon

Great to see Gordon do Lovecraft once again. This story goes to some dark places. It stars the main character from Dagon, Ezra Godden, so as far as I know 100% of this guy's career involves him wearing a Miskatonik University shirt.

It's a nice mix of sci-fi and more traditional haunted house kinda stuff at first, and then once the Lovecraft poo poo really kicked in I was pretty surprised by how far Gordon was willing/able to go. As it turns out Masters of Horror really doesn't pull any punches, but this was the first one I watched so I was a little surprised at how intense it was. Give Gordon 30 more minutes and a slightly bigger budget and this could have easily been a feature film.

The Black Cat, also directed by Stuart Gordon

Now this was just fun as hell to watch. It's the Jeffrey Combs show, he plays Poe himself and a regularly drunken Poe at that. Some of the scenes seem to have been directly transplanted/lifted from/into the stage play Nevermore(not sure which came first), but then the way Gordon takes the Black Cat story and fits it into Poe's life is genius. The visual style of the piece is also really a standout, Gordon shoots everything with a sort of shadowy, hazy effect, which aside from looking really cool also pays off at the end in a way that is maybe not unexpected but still awesome.

Just another note that Masters of Horror really seemed to allow the filmmakers complete freedom in terms of blood and gore, there's a particularly gnarly scene in this one that would be right at home in a legit Gordon film.

A few more episodes to come...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Masters of Horror Part 2:

Cigarette Burns, directed by John Carpenter

This was a bit of a disappointment. It has some strong ideas, but for the most part they felt recycled from In the Mouth of Madness, and the performances are very mediocre considering the talent involved. I usually enjoy Norman Reedus, but he was pretty lovely here. Going in I figured he'd make a good sleezy PI, but he really was not convincing in the role. A lot of his lines called for more intensity and he felt like he was sleepwalking through it all, which I'd normally assume isn't the case when an actor gets a rare opportunity like playing the lead in something directed by Carpenter. Even Udo Kier is completely wasted, not sure what the point even was in getting him if he's not gonna be able to do anything.

The climax is decent, but again, it feels too close to At the Mountains of Madness. So I'm not sure why you'd ever watch this when you could just watch AtMoM instead.

Incident On and Off a Mountain Road, directed by Don Coscarelli

I definitely enjoyed this more than Cigarette Burns, just not as much as either of Stuart Gordon's entries. It's interesting to see just as kind of a precursor to the "slasher picked the wrong girl to terrorize" subgenre that has become popular within the past several years. The design on Moonface was great, and I loved the way he was shot. Always very stylized, as if we're supposed to see right away that this guy can't be real, he's out of a movie. This is two worlds colliding, and Mooface's is the world of the B slasher flick. The more grounded world of Ethan Embry's survivalist nut doesn't really work as well, mostly because its rushed and doesn't get enough time to develop in a convincing way. So Embry ends up playing a pretty lame stereotype that he's not really the right person to sell with such limited screen time.

Angus Scrimm gets a really fun little role, and the ending is pretty slick too, so all in all I'd recommend this one.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
24. The Resurrected

Woah, this one was a doozy. Thanks to whoever recommended it, that was like 2 weeks ago and I've forgotten who it was. Who'd have thought that one of my biggest discoveries during this challenge would be Chris Sarandon? I was aware of the guy of course, but mainly from Child's Play and other little bit parts. But then this month I watched Fright Night, and now this...

This is probably the best film I've seen that's based on a Lovecraft story and not directed by Stuart Gordon. It's actually very faithful to Lovecraft's story, at least compared to most other Lovecraft adaptations like From Beyond or Re-Animator. As such its packed with Lovecraftian standards; stories within stories, bizarre experiments going on behind closed doors, strange rituals and horrific monstrosities that defy description. It's all here. Sarandon hams it up in the best way possible, and once you realize where the movie is going he becomes far and away the best character. The special effects are really effective, although they're shot in such a way that whatever flaws there may be are covered by quick cuts and tricky lighting.

I read a little bit about the movie and Dan O'Bannon, who directed it, apparently hated it so much that he disowned it. That's sad, I wish O'Bannon could have lived long enough to gain more of an appreciation for his own work, he seemed to be somewhat of a perfectionist.

And tonight is the main event.....From Beyond. Since the challenge ends tonight and I've already written so much about From Beyond, I'm just gonna tell everyone to check it out of they haven't. It's one of the best times you'll ever have watching a movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

It's going to be weird when this challenge ends. I have over a hundred horror movies ready to stream, but now I feel like I should watch "regular movies".

I'm actually ok with it, its only 5 months until October and this challenge definitely served its purpose as far as just making that wait not feel like an eternity.

And also, just like in October, focusing so much on horror caused me to build up a backlog of other stuff, and not just with movies but t.v. shows too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I was looking at your Letterboxd, and I've never seen Lawrence of Arabia because I can't devote 4 hours to a movie. I think I might try, though.

This is an odd place to discuss Lawrence, but gently caress it its gonna be closed tomorrow anyway.

Lawrence of Arabia can, if necessary, be watched in two sittings. There's an intermission that happens about 2/3 of the way through at a pretty convenient place narratively speaking, so it wouldn't be hard to stop there and jump back in the next day without feeling like you've ruined the "experience" or whatever.

The visuals that Lean captured in that movie have still yet to be topped in my opinion. There is simply very few filmmakers who are willing to go to the lengths that he did to shoot those desert scenes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I appreciated your icons and thought they were an awesome addition to the reviews!

Anyway here's my complete challenge list on Letterboxd complete with the reviews from this thread: https://letterboxd.com/basebf555/list/may-horror-movie-challenge/

I have a few other horror related lists up there too.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 31, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Basebf555, how did you watch The Resurrected? DVD/Blu-Ray?

Sorry, forgot to mention. There's a pretty nice version on youtube, which I streamed with the PS4 youtube app.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epcJSlwuZ08

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Irony.or.Death posted:

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm really kind of baffled that this one isn't more widely known; as you said, it's definitely my favorite non-Gordon Lovecraft movie.

Ah, yea thanks for the recommendation! Sorry for the double post, meant to edit.

It really is bizarre that a fairly faithful Lovecraft adaptation directed by O'Bannon wouldn't be a cult classic. I just don't get it, but a horror fan could easily go their whole life without knowing it exists unless they frequent a horror thread where people know about obscure poo poo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I would have a really hard time choosing a favorite, because there were 3 or 4 that were real standouts.

The Burning turned out to be one of the most consistently entertaining slashers I've ever seen, Tourist Trap actually terrified me at certain moments(that almost never happens anymore), and Fright Night was just soooo much fun to watch.

Also major shout out to The Resurrected, because adding another awesome Lovecraft adaptation to my go-to list is a great thing for my annual October marathon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I'm excited for the October challenge, even though I can't seem to stop watching horror movies now.

I did a really good job exercising will power so that I didn't just rewatch every classic that typically goes into the October marathon. By sticking to new stuff it means when October rolls around I'll still be plenty excited to watch all my old favorites again.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

I highly recommend seeking out the film on your own.

I agree, there's some technical elements like editing and cinematography that are pretty bad, but who cares when a movie is as batshit insane as that one is?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

alansmithee posted:

I'm ashamed I didn't finish the challenge (I did get in some more movies, but not 13), and doubly shamed I missed the redemption viewing (although I've already seen night train to terror).

As penance if people want, the dudes who finished can pick 3 movies that I'll watch and do a minimum 500 word writeup about each. Only requirement is they're up on streaming (amazon prime, shudder, hulu, netflix, youtube). If this thread gets unstickied/disappeared, i'll post in the main horror thread.

I nominate(and obviously throw out any you've seen before):

The Eyes of My Mother(Netflix)
Baskin(Netflix)
Pieces(Shudder)
Dead and Buried(Shudder)
The Stuff(Shudder)

You have any problems with certain types of horror? If you're not into the more graphic blood and guts kind of horror then steer clear of Baskin.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Leavemywife posted:

Alright, give me three for my penance and expect a write up. On Hulu or Netflix, though. They're my only streaming services.

I nominate: Troll Hunter

Have you seen it?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Leavemywife posted:

Troll Hunter was the poo poo. I loved that movie.

I painted myself into a corner because not much on Netflix is as fun as Troll Hunter.

Any major classics you've shamefully never seen, like Hellraiser or a newer one like It Follows?

Baskin and The Eyes of My Mother are my go-to recommendations but I'll throw them in again. And yes, I see this as an opportunity to get someone to see a great horror movie so all my recommendations are with that in mind.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheKingslayer posted:

I also fell short of my goal and am willing to review things as penance. I have no hang ups about movies. Being on streaming is nice but I'm willing to dig for physical copies of things.

What's the biggest stone-cold classic that you haven't seen? Watch that. Hellraiser and An American Werewolf in London are available on Netflix, just as a few examples.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheKingslayer posted:

That's a fantastic idea. I shamefully own but have never seen The Exorcist.

Bam, decision made. Try to watch it after dark if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheKingslayer posted:

I actually just realized I have the complete anthology set so I do have the theatrical version. Woo hoo!

Watch Exorcist III while you're at it then.

• Locked thread