Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Setting my goal at 13 can't possibly be asking for trouble. :v:

Going to aim for some thinning of my Amazon and Netflix watch lists. And Event Horizon to see if it's as good as child me vaguely remembers from a partial hotel cable viewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'll list a handful of titles I definitely want to watch and leave a couple spaces for filler as friends may have ideas. One hard rule that all counted titles must be first time viewings:

1. Hellraiser

2. The Eyes of My Mother

3. Train to Busan

4. Thinner

5. [Rec] 4 if you all think it can work as a standalone having seen none of the series

5 (alternate). free space

6. The Windmill

7. The Blair Witch Project

8. Late Phases

9. P

10. The Neon Demon

11. Starry Eyes

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Butch Cassidy posted:

1. Hellraiser

2. The Eyes of My Mother

3. Train to Busan

4. Thinner

5. [Rec] 4 if you all think it can work as a standalone having seen none of the series

5. Stake Land

6. The Windmill

8. Late Phases

9. P

10. The Neon Demon

11. Starry Eyes

Late Phases was a great movie. Well, an okay movie with serious nerd trappings made just for me so I reserve the right to call it great. Yeah, the cops are a painfully retarded element, script largely not good, pacing off, side character interactions weak despite being very interesting, and final shot phoned in. The actors chosen, bits of comedic relief, and small details added to what it did well to make it very much worth a watch. What did it do well? I The practical effects were a sentimental treat, creature design fairly interesting, protagonist used a sharpened entrenching tool as a cane, and everything about the protagonist, actually. Stake Land was already in my Netflix watchlist but is now on this schedule.

:smugdog::smugdog::smugdog::smugdog:/5

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Before I log the next movie, anyone know if [rec] 4 can work as a standalone film having seen no others in the series? I'm about to give up looking for 1-3 but really want to check out the premise.

Butch Cassidy posted:

Late Phases was a great movie. Well, an okay movie with serious nerd trappings made just for me so I reserve the right to call it great. Yeah, the cops are a painfully retarded element, script largely not good, pacing off, side character interactions weak despite being very interesting, and final shot phoned in. The actors chosen, bits of comedic relief, and small details added to what it did well to make it very much worth a watch. What did it do well? I The practical effects were a sentimental treat, creature design fairly interesting, protagonist used a sharpened entrenching tool as a cane, and everything about the protagonist, actually. Stake Land was already in my Netflix watchlist but is now on this schedule.

:smugdog::smugdog::smugdog::smugdog:/5

Stake Land:

Nick Damici also stars as a lone vampire hunter after a viral, blood-suck plague burned an apocalypse through the world. Well, it's a mentor film so he's not actually a loner. Wait, it's an ensemble cast, kinda, so "lone" may not mean what I think it means. While Late Phase's Ambrose was a character full of potential that Damici lived up to, Stake Land's Mister was still fun and well acted despite the lesser potential. While the movie can be a bit paint by numbers in its plotting, the whole thing ties together as a better quality movie than Late Phases. THe two films are worth watching back-to-back to see a neat concept film trip over its own rough edges and a basic genre repackage carry tired material with some grace.

To end the comparison and take this film on its own, it is very much worth a watch. The creature design is nice, acting good all around, the premise of "zombie vapire...yeah, vampires" surprisingly a capable gimmick, and aesthetic on point. I don't have any actual complaints. It's a decidedly small B-movie and hit its marks better than most. This doesn't really feel like something to talk about but rather a good filler re-watch for my October marathon.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'll keep holding off on [rec] until I can get them in order, then.

Anyway, Train to Busan was a really good movie. Thanks to whichever of you posted about it during the last Halloween marathon thread. SOme of the effects showed its budget and it didn't do much or really anything new. But it didn't have to because the things it ran with were solid.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Tank 432 had a couple neat scenes but is definitely not worth watching.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Butch Cassidy posted:

1. Hellraiser

2. The Eyes of My Mother

3. Train to Busan

4. Thinner

5 Stake Land

6. The Windmill

8. Late Phases

9. P

10. The Neon Demon

11. Starry Eyes

12. Alien

The Windmill:

My son enjoyed watching it with me and that may be its saving grace. It's a waste in the spring and a better fit as October binge filler. It was a good and solidly made/acted supernatural slasher with some unique personality. But nothing more. Save this one for background atmosphere in the fall and don't bother thinking about it.

Speaking of my son, he bought himself DVD set of the Alien movies so I guess the first will be added to my list. Probably time I finally see it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Alien is a great movie but decades of seething fans have over-sold the movie so it just disappoints when freshly viewed. Rather than love it, I just appreciate it. Even when viewing it as a forty year old movie.

Any and all dubbed dialogue in this film sucks. Large erection bursting forth from a man and immediately becoming a giant foreskin menace is a stretch to say the least. Anyone who likes this movie but complains about flat characters, lack of character developments, or shallow character arcs in othe films can shut up. The creature design is great but the lower body is just silly. And people constantly babbling about how badass the xenomorph is in the pantheons of sci-fi and horror may have never actually watched the movie.

If I had gone in with real expectations or blind, I'd love this drat movie. The 2001-esque grandiose environment around characters as blase about it as modern people on a boat. The mechanics are greatly developed characters just through their costume design, acting, and some simple dialogue. Ripley is a great protagonist and I love her lack of arc that, if anything, shows her increasingly break down. The other dumb poo poo just freezing constantly. Why is the doctor sweating milk? Whats about to go sideways with him? HOLY poo poo his head popped off and he's a psycho robot!?!?!? Back to 2001, where that had highly stylized sets and was amazing for it, the sets here were every bit as amazing but from a grungy and realistic viewpoint. Jump scares weren't as abused at the time this was made so it gets a pass and some of them are genuinely good. Sigourney Weaver's face acting is excellent and I had forgotten how solid an actress she really is. The reveal about the company's mission statement was brutal. And the chestburst scene is excellent no matter how many times you see it.

But it's still too many leaky pipes and an absurd, squealing penis monster that can't be taken seriously while slowly and sensually going through foreplay with its victims before quickly and fiercely raping them to death.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The chestburster, sure. The hugger sitting on his face and telling him it loves him, sure. The grown creature's head and tail, sure. The phoned-in body suit, no.

• Locked thread