Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SaavikSpocksDaddy
Dec 22, 2012

Butch Cassidy posted:

Before I log the next movie, anyone know if [rec] 4 can work as a standalone film having seen no others in the series? I'm about to give up looking for 1-3 but really want to check out the premise.

Stake Land:

Nick Damici also stars as a lone vampire hunter after a viral, blood-suck plague burned an apocalypse through the world. Well, it's a mentor film so he's not actually a loner. Wait, it's an ensemble cast, kinda, so "lone" may not mean what I think it means. While Late Phase's Ambrose was a character full of potential that Damici lived up to, Stake Land's Mister was still fun and well acted despite the lesser potential. While the movie can be a bit paint by numbers in its plotting, the whole thing ties together as a better quality movie than Late Phases. THe two films are worth watching back-to-back to see a neat concept film trip over its own rough edges and a basic genre repackage carry tired material with some grace.

To end the comparison and take this film on its own, it is very much worth a watch. The creature design is nice, acting good all around, the premise of "zombie vapire...yeah, vampires" surprisingly a capable gimmick, and aesthetic on point. I don't have any actual complaints. It's a decidedly small B-movie and hit its marks better than most. This doesn't really feel like something to talk about but rather a good filler re-watch for my October marathon.

I know the first 3 REC's are on Shudder
4th is a continuation of first two so definitely see them first
The 1st is a found-footage classic & 2nd has grear parts
Haven't seen 3 (unrelated film like Halloween 3) or 4 myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaavikSpocksDaddy
Dec 22, 2012

Butch Cassidy posted:

I'll keep holding off on [rec] until I can get them in order, then.

Anyway, Train to Busan was a really good movie. Thanks to whichever of you posted about it during the last Halloween marathon thread. SOme of the effects showed its budget and it didn't do much or really anything new. But it didn't have to because the things it ran with were solid.

The first three are available on Shudder

• Locked thread