Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
10. The Eyes of My Mother

A repeat viewing for me, but I managed to get two of my friends to watch it! I thought we would get through the first few minutes and have to turn it off, but they stayed interested and entertained throughout.

I think this is one of the few movies that works better as a solo experience (for me anyway), since it deals with loneliness and isolation in a heavy way. Seeing it with friends is fun to see what gets to them (the cannibalism, the rape, Charlie's feeding, anything involving the stolen child and his mother). The strangest criticism: they wanted more visceral action, they wanted to see more. That may have been my fault, since I built it up as a disturbing movie, and their imaginations ran wild during the beginning.

It was good. I got two of my friends to watch what's essentially an art house semi-foreign horror film, which almost never happens.

Still, my review for this film is a solid :spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The opening shots of a cows head and the Un Chien Andalou-esque eye slice give an impression that it's only going to visually get worse, when really those shots are probably most violent (besides some suturing) and do more to make you dread what's to come than to actually warn you.

I have a bad habit of over-using the term "art film", and I've probably scared more people than interested them in films I love. "Eraserhead is a dark comedy/horror art film filled with existential dread! It's really good!"... "Uh, I'm good, thanks."

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
As an example of the genre as a whole, yeah F13 Part 2. But best slasher, as example, as bare bones "this is a slasher", the king will always be Halloween in my heart.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, Pt 2 or 4 for sure. They're the best Fridays. I never double feature them, but I might for this years Friday the 13th. 2, 4 and 5 are the ones I rewatch the most.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen Jason X in probably a decade. I may rewatch it if I can find it soon enough and with ease.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

It's on Amazon Prime I think.

Naw, I just checked and it cost a few dollars. If I'm going to pay for it, it's going to be to own it. even if it's on DVD. It's one of three F13s I don't own.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Odd, I thought all the Friday the 13th films were on there.

All of Paramount's are available with a STARZ subscription. Goes To Hell, X, FVJ and Reboot are all paid rentals.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
11. Street Trash :barf:

I have to get this out of the way: The main character looks like Torgo from Manos: The Hands of Fate.

A society of homeless people who live in a junkyard have their lives threatened by several sources: police investigating strange murders, the homeless "leader" who's shell-shocked Vietnam vet with blood lust, and a mysterious cheap liquor that melts anyone who drinks it. As if being homeless weren't hard enough!

The filmmakers work with what they've got, utilizing Brooklyn and Hoboken, NJ's structure, street art and natural griminess to give the movie a unique look and feel:

The deaths and gore in this movie are wonderfully colorful. I love how they incorporated purples and blues and yellows into the gore. (The yellows are especially gross.) The puppetwork and effects are insanely good and the newly remastered version.

The camera work is highly energetic. I joked in the horror thread that it's basically "Raimi-Shot: The Movie", but it also has a lot in common with Raising Arizona, which came out the same year. Lots of steadi-cam (the director has basically made a career out of his use of steadi-cam), lots of movement, some great long-shots that go back and forth between characters.

The movie front-loads itself with the best shots, the best action, and the best effects in the whole film. The iconic death which marks the beautiful cover (the poster is seriously great, I want a framed copy on my wall right now) happens in the first 10 minutes. Luckily the movie maintains the pace and energy throughout, but nothing really tops the first 20 minutes or so (besides the end-death).

The actors deserve very special mention. Many of the actors playing homeless people really get into being weirdos and some of them add really special ticks to their roles (the homeless man that wears the suit he was married in's rant in the liquor store and his death, there's a fat homeless man who can heave his chest naturally weird before he explodes).

Street Trash has some weird dark comedy tonal things going on, like an attempted rape and the discovery of the body of a dead woman who was killed during a sexual assault being set to "Fat Man walking tuba music". The problem is, they scenes aren't funny at all, so why have that music play? Were they trying to make sinister tuba music and just failed because the scenes involve a fat guy? I don't have the answers, guys.

That said, it's trying so hard to be over-the-top offensive, but maintains it's charm and energy throughout.

The end credits sequence was also wonderful, dark and funny karmic justice.

I wish I had a deeper catalog of films to watch from the director James Muro. He's done a lot of steadicam work (including Maniac Cop!), he was DP on Crash (2004) (you'd think that alone would have given him more work) and more than 50 other movies and shows, but his directing work is limited to TV shows I have no interest in watching. Hopefully he'll get a chance at another film someday, because this one was wicked.

I love 80's-as-gently caress horror movies. This goes on my list of "Why didn't I watch this sooner?". This would make an interesting double feature with The Stuff, because even though they're working on different themes and ideas, they're certainly aesthetically related, though Street Trash is much more mean-spirited (in a Troma way).

:barf::barf::barf::barf:/5

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 15, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Dunwich Horror's been on my radar before yea, probably a good time to check it out. It's available to rent on Amazon.

Gordon also did Dreams in the Witch House for Masters of Horror, that's an option.

I like Dreams In The Witch House, it's mean as hell. Did you see his other episode The Black Cat? Jeffrey Combs playing Poe in what's halfway an awesome adaptation of the story and the ither half an awesome mini-bio of Poe. Also, Carpenter's Cigarette Burns if you haven't seen that one.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I honestly can't imagine it being similar to other adaptations since it's heavily about Poe's personal demons and him writing The Black Cat more than it is about The Black Cat.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Maybe! I haven't had a chance to see it, and so haven't read about it so I don't feel bad.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I saw a few clips of the show on youtube and it seems to be primarily Combs in full Poe makeup telling stories about his work while getting more and more wasted as the show goes on, until by the end Poe is just completely slurring every word and his shirt is half hanging out of his pants. I imagine the full experience is pretty hilarious.

drat, now I'm sad.

I wish it were easier to see plays like that, that have incredibly limited runs/availability. I got to watch Evil Dead The Musical because the cast filmed an entire performance and I found it online, back when it was planning to only be limited. Then the popularity let it run on for another year or two.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Hollismason posted an interesting Q&A with Combs in the horror thread recently where he talks about how difficult it is to get the Poe show(I think its called Nevermore) out on tour. It's a poo poo ton of work to arrange all of it and it sounds like he and his agent basically have to do it all because the show isn't really a moneymaker or anything. Theatres aren't exactly lining up to book them, and Combs lives full time in L.A. so his focus is more on just doing the show there in the theatre where he did it initially.

That was from a Q&A from like 8 years ago too, I think since then the theatre they were using in L.A. closed.

Even more of a reason to film a set and put it out there. I know the magic of the theater is just that, but I'd be incredibly happy with a single camera that just has the stage in frame and films the performance. No need for editing, just make sure the sound is good, and that's it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I swear I watched The Fog as my 12th movie, been too busy to do a decent write-up. I'll post it tonight or tomorrow.

I'm going to easily pass 13 movies, but I want to make the 13th special, (but not a Friday the 13th, unless I can magically find Jason X in time).

So far I've watched

1. a slasher
2 cannibals
3 werewolf
4. giallo
5. anthology
6. creature feature
7. lesbian vampire
8. Lovecraftian
9. slasher
10. existential horror / surgical/body horror / cannibal / whatever else you want to include for Eyes of My Mother
11. melting body horror / homeless horror
12. ghost/slasher

Any ideas are welcome.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hell, some theaters now show the Friday releases on Wednesday.

Is Promethius considered horror? I haven't watched an alien or zombie movie for the callenge yet

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Can't wait for the "5 more stories" Ridley Scott says he has about this universe.

HOW? He's almost 80! David Lynch is retiring now at 71!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
12. The Fog (1980) dir. John Carpenter

A Halloween reunion! Ghost slasher!

Had I known this was Carpenter's immediate follow-up to Halloween, I would have watched it years sooner. Carpenter/Hill write together again; Jamie Lee Curtis and Nancy Kyes (:swoon:) return; Tom Atkins(!) is introduced (and would return for Halloween III) as another literal reference to Nick Castle (who played Michael in Halloween); Adrienne Barbeau starts in her first movie role. It's all great. It's a shame he didn't get Donald Pleasance in somehow.

My first impression was "Wow, John Carpenter got a big budget and a studio and put it to good use!". And I was wrong. This looks like a studio picture, it looks big budget, but it turns out this thing only cost a little over $1 Mil. That's insane. This movie is beautiful: Carpenter still has his eye from Halloween but decided to use more colors, more trick lighting, and more special effects, more wide-angle landscape shots of the coastal town.

The story is also larger than Halloween, and it's oddly King-ish: pirate/sailor ghosts invade a small coastal town to fulfill a curse begat by the 100 year anniversary of a local legend. Higher stakes, more action, more style.

It's not flawless. There's some weird stuff with the characters--like how Jamie Lee's character jump into bed with Atkins's character after a car ride, no one seems to notice the missing babysitter, etc. But the goods completely overshadow the flaws.

:ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost:/5

13. The Devils (1971) dir. Ken Russell

This will cure you of any nun-fetish you might have.

I had seen this movie years ago, but only really remembered the first act. I've barely dipped my toes into Ken Russell's filmography, but I'd say this is his best movie, though I enjoy Lair of the White Worm more. This one lacks the demented joy of the latter, and has a dark, sinister tone throughout it's many depictions of manic depravity.

The plot is pretty bare--a handsome lecherous priest becomes the unspoken ruler of the French town Loudun, whose walls separate it from rest of the world, and he causes lust in a local nunnery. Meanwhile, a Cardinal tries to manipulate Louis XIII to continue invading the country--except for Loudun. The cardinal then decides to combat the priest by accusing him of the work of Satan and possessing the local nunnery.

The plot is simple, but the movie is dense with philosophical arguments/debates on what defines lust, pleasure, sin in the eyes of God, and what that actually matters. In every way, this movie can be described as 'blasphemous'. It aims to offend and make you question ideas of faith, God, holiness, and what defines 'evil'. Not much humor.

Also, lots of violent sexual imagery. This film certainly qualifies as nunsploitation, despite it being an artistic achievement in that genre. I've seen an edited version of Joe D'Amato's Images In A Convent, which was heavily inspired by Ken Rusell's film, as I'm sure countless others have.

Still, the movie is fascinating, it's incredibly well filmed, and it certainly imparted complex emotions in me. It is definitely creepy, to say the least.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

14. The Church (1989) dir. Michele Saovi

:aaaaa:Holy poo poo:aaaaa:

Basically Demons but in a church. This movie reaches insanity about 30 minutes in and just keeps going. I don't even want to talk about plot, because it's just better to watch and see what happens.

It creeped me out, it made me feel light headed, it surprised me a few times, shocked me (I was not expecting that decapitation in the beggening!). Just an excellent viewing experience.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'd argue that The Fog is definitely Carpenter's best looking film, even more so than Halloween. I'm very partial to that setting though, I love the first half of the movie where a lot of it takes place during the day.

I think you're right, though you know my gaps in Carpenter films. There are so many shots I would hang on my wall if I could frame animated shots, the daytime walk to the lighthouse being a major highlight. There's lots of good work with reflective surfaces as well.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Guess I know what I'm watching,then

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
15. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992) dir. David Lynch

I'm not going to go into detail about this, because it's exhausting.

I went back and forth on whether or not this actually counts, and in the end I think it does. I was going to include a "Bonus" point for any Lynch films chosen (I firmly believe that each of them count as horror except for The Straight Story, and even that's arguable) in honor of the new season of Twin Peaks that came out recently. I watched this movie with two friends, both female, who love Twin Peaks but do not want to watch David Lynch movies beyond that (one of them listened to a podcast where the hosts went through each movie, and it's turned her off of them; it's been an uphill battle ever since with her).

Several other things to denote: 1) David Lynch is probably my favorite director. Some people consider him artistic masturbation, some people consider him up his own rear end, etc. I've heard all the complaints. I think he is the best example of how films are "art", how his stories only work in the context of the medium while also taking full advantage of it and throwing away all the standard rules. And he's just a neat guy. 2) Twin Peaks is probably my favorite TV show. I know it has been surpassed by some other show, but there hasn't been a show that filled me with so many emotions/feelings/thoughts/ideas/creative energy as much as my first run through of Twin Peaks. 3) Fire Walk With Me is probably my least favorite David Lynch film.

I haven't seen it in years, and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. It's a mess of a film, especially the first third, but the chaos is more balanced than it seems. It's dense, it holds nothing back, and it's dreadful. I believe that Twin Peaks really hurt Lynch in the long run, and as soon as Coop entered The Black Lodge in the series finale so with him went Lynch's youthful enthusiasm. His baby was strangled and he's a heartbroken father.

I appreciate the meditation on abuse, it's cyclical nature, and the mind's way of repressing the horrible truth of our situations. It's painful to watch Laura's final days. Her death is inevitable, to the viewer, but on a personal level she does not have a sustainable life. It is not fair.

There's an important scene that summarizes the tragedy of the film:

Cooper: Lately I've been filled with the knowledge that the killer will strike again. But because it is just a feeling, I am powerless to stop it. One more thing, Albert. When the next murder happens, you will help me solve it.
Albert: Let's test it for the record. Will the next victim be a man or a woman?
Cooper: A woman.
Albert: All right. What color hair will she have?
Cooper: Blonde.
Albert: Tell me some other things about her.
Cooper: She's in high school. She is sexually active. She is using drugs. She's crying out for help.
Albert: Well drat, Cooper, that really narrows it down. You're talking about half the high school girls in America!

And it's true.

Twin Peaks will leave behind a legacy, especially now that we're in the thralls of the 3rd season the people have wanted for 26 years. It is most likely David Lynch's swan song, which is fitting on many different levels. But Fire Walk With Me is an interesting part of Lynch's career, because he took the quirky town of Twin Peaks, exposed the pain and suffering that can (and does) occur in any town, and shows the humanity and personal tragedy of it's characters, and makes the fear and pain most relate-able. Lynch is no stranger to the Buddhist concept that all Life is suffering. And yet, there is a release--through friends, family, good coffee, nature, nice diners...Our personal demons make way to the glimmering wings of guardian angels. There's always room for hope.

:cry::cry::cry::cry:/5

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

22.Get Out

This was a really tight film, everything about it is just very well crafted. Maybe it didn't blow me away, but its just really solid in every area, and Peele obviously knows the genre well enough to effectively play with our expectations. He clearly knew that the audience would be getting Stepford Wives vibes from the first half of the film, and he uses that to deliver a pretty crazy twist that, like all great twists, should be obvious in retrospect.

Glad you finally got around to it!

There are 6 days left in the challenge, and it's a three day weekend for the USA goons! Hopefully everyone gets to watch a bunch of horror movies and end the challenge on a good note. (I didn't think about the challenge ending near Memorial day, that's a pretty sweet bonus.)

:siren:Goons who have completed the 13 film challenge (so far):
Basebf555
Drunkboxer
Hollismason
Irony.or.Death
Spatulater bro!

Other goons, keep it up! Make a list of other movies you want to watch, ask for wild cards, steal a movie from another goon. If you want to make a list of what you've watched so far, that's fine. We'll do a full tally on June 1st and we can try and pick the best movie or a top 3 of what we've seen.

Tentative list of what I want/need to watch/finish:

Dead & Buried
Fender Bender (started, not finished)
Your Vice Is A Locked Room and I Have the Key (started, not finished)
The Changeling
Whistle and I'll Come To You
Curtains
Ravenous
Don't Breathe
The Shallows
Demons 2
Child's Play
MAY

I want a zombie movie.

So far I've watched:

1. The Prowler, 2. Raw, 3. The Howling, 4. Opera, 5. Tales from the Darkside: The Movie, 6. Q The Winged Serpent, 7. Fascination, 8. The Void, 9. Maniac Cop, 10. The Eyes of My Mother, 11. Street Trash, 12. The Fog, 13. The Devils, 14. The Church, 15. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me

It's been a good run. I'm pretty jealous of a few challenger lists, though.

Happy viewing, guys!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

My plan for the home stretch: Phantom of the Opera (1945), The Bloodstained Shadow, and Fright Night

Which Fright Night?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

Original. I always forget there's a remake.

Good call. The remake was fun and way better than expected, especially David Tenant. I saw it in theaters and I have no desire to watch it again.

MacheteZombie posted:

City of the Living Dead!

Plot posted:

After a priest commits suicide, a ghastly horror is unleashed on the quaint New England town of Dunwich.

Hell yes, thank you!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

It's one of my favorite zombie flicks.

Basebf555 posted:

City of the Living Dead is so good, but for some reason it didn't click with me until the second viewing. Not sure why. It has some of the sickest(in a good way!and also a bad way) gore Fulci ever did, just physically revolting stuff that made me look away from the screen.

That's what I want. I'm pretty much over zombie films after falling in love with them as a teenager with The Evil Dead, Dead Alive (the best zombie movie), Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead (original & remake), Night of the Creeps, Return of the Living Dead series, etc. They just became so lovely, and then they became ironic twists on literature or romantic interests. (Ugh.)

Though I admit I need to watch Zombi 2/Zombie (haven't seen it in yeeeears) and I've never seen Day of the Dead (for some reason the Shudder copy won't appear on my Amazon Prime).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

Day of the Dead is one of my other favorite zombie flicks. I like it more than Dawn.

If it's sreaming somewhere, I'd watch it sometime soon. I missed it when it was on Netflix.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Right now its available with a Shout Factory add-on to Prime, which you can pick up a 7day free trial for and cancel before you get charged anything.

Day of the Dead is my favorite Romero film(full disclosure: I've never seen Martin). It's a lot more intense than Dawn and the characters are more compelling than Night of the Living Dead in my opinion.

I think I'll do it. It's also only $3 a month, and I can then watch Night of the Demons and a bunch of other horror movies I've missed.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

It's not Scream Factory, which is their horror specific brand, its Shout Factory, so its a mix of everything. Right now they have a lot of Herzog up, including Nosferatu.

A lot of fun horror from the 80's and a lot of Godzilla.

Edit: Honestly, the Herzog is worth it alone for me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I went to add Shout Factory and Day of the Dead through Shudder just popped up. I couldn't find it an hour ago to save my life. :psyduck:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Busy weekend! Some short reviews:

16. City of the Living Dead

Another Fulci zombie film. I loved the effects, the gore was visceral and gooey, and it was a much more relaxed pace than I'm used to. I really liked it.

:zombie::zombie::zombie::zombie:

17. Your Vice Is A Locked Room and Only I Have the Key

Fun Italian half-giallo, half Edgar Allen Poe adaptation (European horror really loves The Black Cat, huh?)

It's pretty mean-spirited, explores all types of manipulation and abuse. I really loved the two female leads, though.

Satan is a good cat name.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:

18. Child's Play

I hadn't seen this in years. Still not my favorite. The first one is a decent slasher, but I just don't find dolls that scary.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
19. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974), dir. Tobe Hooper

This is a truly special horror movie. I'm going on record to say that it's probably one of the few perfect horror movies.

I first saw this on VHS when I was 12 years old. My cousin and I would rent horror movies, usually a classic slasher. We rented The Texas Chainsaw Massacre because we knew it was "one of the most disturbing films ever". We were aware of Leatherface from cultural osmosis. (This was also right before the remake came out, which I would see about a year after it was released.) My cousin suffers from issues with mental health, which was starting to become prevalent in his life around this time (puberty). When it came time to watch the movie, he actually had to go rest and be alone. So I sat on his parents bed, as every other TV already had DVD players, and watch TCM alone. I believe there's something added to watching certain horror movies on VHS, and I'd say it does add to TCM's atmosphere. The version I watched last night was a 40th anniversary remaster, and I was happy that I could see the colorful static of the film stock.

This was a special occasion. I like to surprise my friends with horror movies they haven't seen before. One of my best friends had never seen TCM; he said it's too disturbing for him, having seen parts of the remake. However, I'm an rear end in a top hat*, and wanted to show him that he's missing out on one of the greatest movies ever made. I don't watch TCM very often. I say I don't want it to lose it's punch or charm, but maybe I can't handle the first act regularly. It masterfully shows the signs of death, decay, heat, and lunacy. The soundscapes are Lynchian. The camerawork is disorienting. It's tense as gently caress. I know exactly what happens during the hitchhiker scene, but I was still nervous throughout.

I felt like I was watching a series of vignettes about the dark side of Texas and the different forms of mania that all collide into a crazed finale, when our last relatable character has her mind broken. The real horror isn't that she's stuck in a room full of deranged cannibals that make furniture and clothing out of her friends, it's that these villains act so mundane about the horror. This is just their life, she's an inconvenience. They're just a weird family unaware of how weird they are. Grandpa's basically a mummy, but they barely bat an eye.

I'm also surprised I've never read an argument about the meta-narrative of the horrors being imagined by Franklin, the handicapped brother. He's the center focus of the camera and the plot until they get to his father's abandoned house. He's then left behind. The heat's gotten to him, the hitchhiker encounter has made him think about violence, mortality, and his capabilities for hurting himself or others. His first reaction is to spite everyone, to mock them, spit their names. The first two of his friends that leave him to go gently caress in the woods are the first to get killed by a giant ugly monster (Franklin imposing how he/others feels about himself in the image of Leatherface, but also empowers him with strength, speed, and a giant destructive phallic weapon). Next to go is the sister's boyfriend, who has been distracting Sally from spending a family vacation with her brother. Then, the ultimate punishment to Sally for taking Franklin for granted is Franklin to die himself ("Sally would hate herself if/when something ever happened to me!"; selfish victim-mentality) and then for her to be menaced first by Franklin's horror avatar (Leatherface) and then an existential punishment ("You're lucky you have a good family and nice sibling, this is what you could have for a family"), but allowing her to ultimately survive because 1) he still loves his sister, and 2) so she could "learn her lesson" instead of just being killed...I don't think it's an end-all interpretation, I'm sure there are holes, but I find it interesting nonetheless.

I needed this refresher. It's always great to be reminded of horror movies that deserve their title as GOAT. While I appreciate The Exorcist, it doesn't really scare me or give me a feeling of experiencing greatness. The Texas Chainsaw deserves all the praise it gets.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:

*(Brief story: I've been friends with this guy since high school. His parents are missionaries, so he didn't grow up watching horror. He didn't start drinking until he was almost twenty, though he's always smoked :420:. He's very susceptible to horror's rhythms--suspense, outright shock, grotesque effects, etc. When we were 21, I managed to convince him to attend a midnight showing of Night of the Creeps with me, without him having any prior knowledge. I told him it was a funny horror movie. While I laughed at the movie, he was bug-gently caress terrified. He does not like bugs, slugs, or things that are indescribably weird. Night of the Creeps made him understand horror. A month later, I convinced him to attend another midnight movie with me: The Evil Dead, which did more damage than Creeps. It also pushed him past understanding horror into loving horror. It's now his favorite horror movie, and it got him to trust me when it comes to recommending the genre. This is also the same friend that watched Maniac Cop with me during the challenge.)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Just a reminder, this is the last night for the May Horror Challenge :siren:

The challenge will officially end in approximately 20 hours from this post, at June 1st, 6AM (EST)

That means that you can't watch any movies after that point. The thread will still be open for final reviews posted, and they'll be accepted by June 1st, Midnight (EST).

Then we'll do a tally-up of who fulfilled the challenge and we'll make fun of all the losers.

Make your last horror movie a great one!

Basebf555 posted:

24. The Resurrected

Woah, this one was a doozy. Thanks to whoever recommended it, that was like 2 weeks ago and I've forgotten who it was. Who'd have thought that one of my biggest discoveries during this challenge would be Chris Sarandon? I was aware of the guy of course, but mainly from Child's Play and other little bit parts. But then this month I watched Fright Night, and now this...

He's been in a lot of stuff you've probably seen, at least The Princess Bride, Tales from the Crypt Bordello of Blood, Nightmare Before Christmas, Dog Day Afternoon, The Sentinel.

Still, he totally steals the show in Fright Night and Child's Play.

Basebf555 posted:

I read a little bit about the movie and Dan O'Bannon, who directed it, apparently hated it so much that he disowned it. That's sad, I wish O'Bannon could have lived long enough to gain more of an appreciation for his own work, he seemed to be somewhat of a perfectionist.

Machete Zombie told me about O'Bannon's screenwriting book. It's a little pricey, but I want to get it. Dude's been attached to a lot of great stuff.

Also, I've never seen The Resurrected, so I'm gonna add it to my list.

It's going to be weird when this challenge ends. I have over a hundred horror movies ready to stream, but now I feel like I should watch "regular movies".

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'm actually ok with it, its only 5 months until October and this challenge definitely served its purpose as far as just making that wait not feel like an eternity.

And also, just like in October, focusing so much on horror caused me to build up a backlog of other stuff, and not just with movies but t.v. shows too.

Yeah. It also made me really appreciate Amazon Prime, which up until now I thought was superfluous with Netflix's catalog. Searching for horror movies made me find a bunch of titles I really need to watch. Their interface is just lovely for finding titles.

I was looking at your Letterboxd, and I've never seen Lawrence of Arabia because I can't devote 4 hours to a movie. I think I might try, though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

This is an odd place to discuss Lawrence, but gently caress it its gonna be closed tomorrow anyway.

Lawrence of Arabia can, if necessary, be watched in two sittings. There's an intermission that happens about 2/3 of the way through at a pretty convenient place narratively speaking, so it wouldn't be hard to stop there and jump back in the next day without feeling like you've ruined the "experience" or whatever.

The visuals that Lean captured in that movie have still yet to be topped in my opinion. There is simply very few filmmakers who are willing to go to the lengths that he did to shoot those desert scenes.

I mean, it's off topic, but like you said, it's the last day of the thread and some discussion won't stop people from putting in their reviews.

I remember reading that Lean, years later, would watch the movie in theaters and ask to be allowed into the projection booth so he could edit the print directly--he always found flaws in the film and always wanted to improve it.

I'll probably watch it soon. I have a few Bergman's loaned to me that I need to watch, and I kinda want to tackle all of Harmony Korine's features.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I thought the icons were great! Really added a fun flair to the thread and your posts.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Leavemywife posted:

I wish I'd thought of the icons, instead of lame /10 scores. After seeing you do it, I couldn't copy it, since that'd also be lame.

Lurdiak was also doing it. I thought it was awesome, I just prefer my GIF hunt for my reviews.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Basebf555, how did you watch The Resurrected? DVD/Blu-Ray?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
20. Demons 2

I'm amazed at the sheer lunacy of this film. It's like the Gremlins 2 of the Demons franchise, though played a little more straight. This movie took a lot of my expectations and threw them down the stair well.

My friend who watched TCM with me yesterday (we're going to call him Savvy for now on) came over again asking for another horror movie, but he wanted something "crazy and 80's". I think he put it best when he said, "These movies are loving insane, man. They just keep throwing punches. First everyone dies, then the kid dies and becomes a demon, and I'm like, drat, this movie goes hard. Then of course the kid gives birth to a baby demon. Of course it does. I don't know why, but it does. So now I'm trying to deal with that poo poo and then the baby demon starts chasing the pregnant lady. It just keeps going. I won't sleep for weeks."

I think that the first movie's intimacy of a small movie theater is more tense, but this movie definitely deserves to stand alongside it. I'm a little disappointed that there aren't as many coked out punk rockers--they're kind of there just to be there, an audience distraction and subversion of expectations.

This movie's soundtrack was killer. I wasn't expecting to rock out to The Smiths and Love & Rockets. This soundtrack is good enough for a party mix.

Also, this is now one of my favorite horror movie effects, a mix of Videodrome, and the famous wall scene from Nightmare on Elm Street:

Overall, a wild ride and one of the best ways I could have ended the challenge.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think that's an excellent idea.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer