Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
That's an insane list. Were these all first time views?

Glad to see Belladonna of Sadness on there, it's certainly overwhelming and dense. There's a lot to unpack there. Horrendous and fascinating, ironic and somehow a little optimistic. It's hard to recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm interested in knowing what everyone's favorite watches were for the challenge.

If I had to pick one...I think I had most fun watching The Church. I had a friend over, and our reactions were just escalated excitement throughout.

For best movie, I think I'll give it to Opera, since it was new to me, but I think Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Eyes of My Mother are almost perfect.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I find it interesting that limiting the number of films from 31 to 13 caused a consistently good to great line-up for me, and it seems that way for most of the participants (sorry Lurdiak).

I'm excited for the October challenge, even though I can't seem to stop watching horror movies now.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Hey, blame Netflix's largely terrible selection, or god.

I agree, Prime has a better selection even without Shudder, but the Netflix list in the OP is still decent to great. And God's not real.

Basebf555 posted:

I did a really good job exercising will power so that I didn't just rewatch every classic that typically goes into the October marathon. By sticking to new stuff it means when October rolls around I'll still be plenty excited to watch all my old favorites again.

Yeah, I'm excited to finally re-watch An American Werewolf In London and Halloween this year, after avoiding them for a few years now.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

alansmithee posted:

I'm ashamed I didn't finish the challenge (I did get in some more movies, but not 13), and doubly shamed I missed the redemption viewing (although I've already seen night train to terror).

As penance if people want, the dudes who finished can pick 3 movies that I'll watch and do a minimum 500 word writeup about each. Only requirement is they're up on streaming (amazon prime, shudder, hulu, netflix, youtube). If this thread gets unstickied/disappeared, i'll post in the main horror thread.

The Creeping Terror should be punishment enough.

Edit: it's on Shudder. MST3k version is not allowed.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 5, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

alansmithee posted:

I've actually seen it. And as an aside, I've been surprised how well received Jean Rollin seems by people in the thread. I've seen a bunch of his movies but I've not really been too impressed. They just seem to have much going on, besides naked women and pretty scenery (as nice as those things are).

His movies look really good, they hide their budget, and they're basically dreams put to film. That's a triple whammy of good in my book.

alansmithee posted:

So if there's no other suggestions, I'll be checking out The Eyes of My Mother, The Creeping Terror, and...the Untold Story. With a writeup on each after.

Excellent. Hopefully you write about the ideas and themes of The Creeping Terror and not the behind-the-scenes catastrophe, because the former would be much more interesting.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Leavemywife posted:

Alright, give me three for my penance and expect a write up. On Hulu or Netflix, though. They're my only streaming services.

Deal. I'll look some up. Do you have any triggers? (So I can avoid them, not punish you with them)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I nominate: Troll Hunter

You are so much nicer than me. I'll leave the good movie reccs to you.

Leavemywife posted:

No triggers that I know of. Bring it on!

You can pick one of these:

The Brainiac (1961) - Netflix
The Alligator People (1959) - YouTube
Human Centipede 3 - Netflix
Human Centipede 2 - YouTube (for now)

Nice! Not on Netflix or Hulu, but it is on DailyMotion! And Shudder.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Leavemywife posted:

I've seen those Human Centipede movies and you're a goddamn monster for that.

I'll take Braniac. I would have watched Baskin already, but subtitles are hard when you've got a < 1 year old on your hands.

And I'll throw in Eyes of my Mother, since I think that's already in my queue.

Hahaha, I've only seen 1 & 2. It's supposed to be a punishment! And I think 2 is, despite it's grossness, is still well made and disturbing.

Enjoy Braniac.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Eagerly awaiting these reviews.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

I hope for your sake you own the original theatrical cut and not the extended edition with the added cgi.

What added CGI?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

I believe there was unnecessary added CGI to her face and there was some minor CGI clean ups of effects.

Edit: Oh and the ghost mom at the end and some.demon faces showing up in objects.

I like all the demon faces and flashes and stuff, but I never noticed any other CGI. I only have "The Version You've Never Seen" DVD though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

It's noticable at the end where Reagan's face is demon like.

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=5706806

Here's the full differences although it doesn't have the effects clean up stuff.

Huh. I may purchase the 40th anniversary that has both version on it. It might make me appreciate The Exorcist more (not one of my favorites).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Confession: I wish I loved The Exorcist, but I've only had one viewing where it clicked with me, and subsequent viewings have been lackluster.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Everybody's got one, personally I'm not a big fan of Nightmare on Elm Street. I've skipped it the past two Octobers.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Mine is Halloween. It's always seemed, I dunno, bland I guess.

:psyboom:

I honestly wouldn't be as into horror if it weren't for those two movies and Dead Alive and Jaws. I vividly remember watching them and the ensuing epiphany.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, it wasn't meant as anything against you guys. It was just surprising to hear those movies from you two.

Also, we're half-way through June, talking in the challenge thread for May, and none of them are reviews. Not even being facetious, the October thread doesn't even last this long into November.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Leavemywife posted:

I'm sorry. I grabbed the Return to Arkham collection and I've been spending my nights terrifying thugs.

Which should count in its own way. It's still horror involved. :colbert:

:colbert: Watch your movies and reward yourself with Batman. alansmithee's already knocked out 1 of their 3, and you arguably got a better line-up than him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Vampire's Coffin is awesome.

• Locked thread