Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I'm in. 13 sounds like a reasonable goal. Looking forward to starting this weekend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

MacheteZombie posted:

Still taking votes on which of these I get to watch for my final 4.

Horror Express(not technically a Hammer film, but everyone tells me it might as well be)- 2

Horror Express is a must watch, that's my vote. Followed by any of the Dracula films, especially Brides.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

The dog (like all dogs in horror movies) didn't work for me because dog actors always just look like they're having a good time.

I disagree, the dog in The Thing looks sinister as gently caress.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

I felt bad on behalf of the dogs when the thing-dog kills them, but I don't remember ever being scared of the dog itself. I do think that dogs are used well in that movie though, so your point still stands I guess. They're part of the inciting incident rather than just being a preamble kill to the main event kills.

Well he's not "scary", but the dog who plays the Thing-dog is really good. I especially like the scene where he walks slowly down the hall and pauses to look into each room. Great dog acting.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I should re-watch Bride of Re-Animator, I saw it maybe 2-3 years ago and I didn't love it at the time but it's possible I was in the wrong state of mind or something because the first one is one of my absolute favorite horror movies.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I got a late start, but I'll try to make up some movies this weekend.

1. Q: the Winged Serpent (1982) - This was a lot of fun, really campy and goofy but it embraces these qualities and runs with them. I really love the creature effects, they are a little dated but still pretty well done. David Carradine kind of stumbles through his part, but Michael Moriarty is great in the lead role. Franchescanado said it better than me in this post. The only other Larry Cohen film I've seen is The Stuff, but I'll have to fix that. A good start to this challenge!

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 12:17 on May 6, 2017

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
2. Maniac Cop (1988) - I had fairly low expectations going in to this one, and I ended up liking it quite a bit. It has some pacing issues, especially at the beginning, but once Bruce Campbell's character shows up the plot begins to move along at a good pace. The titular cop, played by the weird looking Robert Z'Dar, is appropriately menacing, and the rest of the cast is okay (Campbell) to pretty great (Tom Atkins). By total coincidence, both of the films I've watched so far have been written by Larry Cohen, who I was pretty much unfamiliar with before apart from The Stuff. This one is not directed by Cohen and has a totally different tone than something like Q, but there are touches of humor here and there that keep things on the lighter side. Not exactly a great film, but I had fun with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Way behind, this has been a crazy month for me.

3. Yoga Hosers (2016) - "Horror/comedy" is a bit of stretch here, since it is neither scary nor funny, but it does have horror elements so I'm counting it. I actually liked Kevin Smith's Tusk, so I was willing to give this one a shot too. That was a mistake, as this movie is pretty much worthless. Two Canadian teens who are in an awful band fight satanists and an army of tiny sausage nazis (bratzis... ugh) with the power of yoga. If that isn't dumb enough for you, Johnny Depp repeats his role from Tusk as a goofy French Canadian detective who helps the girls fight evil. Most of the jokes fall pretty flat, and often are just people saying "aboot" or other variations on "they're in Canada, get it?". The special effects on the little monsters are pretty bad, although there is a giant monster suit near the end that admittedly looks pretty neat. I also liked the kid who played the lead satanist. I can't think of anything else positive to say. Stay away from this one.

• Locked thread