Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

13 will be a breeze. Btw you need to add The Eyes of My Mother to the Netflix list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

It may be worth noting too that YouTube has a lot of horror movies. Someone in genchat (sorry I can''t recall who, probably one of you guys) put together a list of all the films on the They Shoot Zombies Don't They list available on YouTube. If someone can dig that up it might be a useful resource.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

edit: I'm going to steal MacheteZombie's idea and :toxx: myself for 13 movies. If I don't get through at least 13 please tear my soul apart (or probate me until October).

For a bit more accountability and organization I'm going to post my watchlist here. I'll be going through these in order. My goal is to get through at least 13, but my real goal is to finish the whole list by June:

Some of the "better" Hellraiser films after part 2:
1. Hellraiser 3
2. Hellraiser Bloodline

Stuff I own on Blu-ray but haven't seen yet:
3. Bride of Re-Animator
4. The Uninvited (1944)
5. The Blob (1958)
6. Hex
7. Mystery of the Wax Museum
8. Phantom of the Opera (1943)
9. Five Dolls for an August Moon
10. The Bloodstained Shadow

More gialli:
11. Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key
12. Torso
13. Short Night of Glass Dolls
14. Perfume of the Lady in Black
15. All the Colors of the Dark

Some essentials I feel embarrassed for having not seen:
16. The Howling
17. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
18. They Live
19. Prince of Darkness
20. Fright Night

More Lucio Fulci:
21. The Black Cat
22. Cat in the Brain
23. Lizard in a Woman's Skin
24. The Psychic

More Jean Rollin:
25. The Rape of the Vampire
26. Living Dead Girl
27. Requiem for a Vampire

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 28, 2017

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

Fright Night

poo poo, I still need to see this too. I'm gonna squeeze it in there.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

MacheteZombie posted:

Aww yeah, my title suggestion made the cut!

So I am going to :toxx: myself for 13 movies. If I don't get to 13 by the end of May our beloved mod may probate me until October.

I'm going to post my planned 13 movies, with a few that I hope I can get this thread to select for me. These will all be first time watches.

1. Pieces - movie where I got the name of the thread from.
2. The Asphyx
3. Street Trash
4. Graveyard Shift
5. Serial Mom
6. Tombs of the Blind Dead
7. The Vampire Lovers
8. Black Sabbath
9. Lizard in Woman's Skin

For my final selections, I thought it would be fun to let the thread decide my Hammer fate. I realized earlier this year that a huge gap in my horror viewing exists. I haven't seen most of the Hammer films. So to help correct this, here's a short list of ones I haven't seen and if enough people suggest a few those will make it onto my list.

10-13: Dracula Has Risen From the Grave, Taste the Blood of Dracula, Brides of Dracula, Dracula AD 1972, Curse of the Werewolf, The Mummy, The Devil Rides Out, Horror Express (not technically a Hammer film, but everyone tells me it might as well be)

I'm loving the TOXX idea. Anyway I suggest: Horror Express (duh), Dracula Has Risen From the Grave, Brides of Dracula, and The Mummy.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I edited my other post but I want to make sure everyone sees it: I'm going to steal MacheteZombie's idea and :toxx: myself for 13 movies. If I don't watch 13 please probate me.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Hollismason posted:

A good selection but really you should add Fascination ..

Already seen it. As well as Lips of Blood.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Scariest poo poo ever? Scariest poo poo ever.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm officially starting on May 1st but I'm getting a couple rewatches out of the way before starting with Hellraiser 3.

Hellraiser - Clive Barker, 1987 (rewatch)

Having now read The Hellbound Heart, I have a new-found appreciation for Hellraiser. The book works as a perfect companion to the film, and certain elements of the film that are left under-explained are now more fleshed out. The character of Frank, for example, is now more fully formed in my mind. His motivations for opening the box and his sway over Julia is left a bit ambiguous in the movie, but the book makes it all click.

I never think that a person should be required to read the book in order to enjoy the movie, but in this case the creative genius of Clive Barker that's shown in the film becomes more apparent. So I highly recommend the read. His imagination is unlike any other horror writer/director. I'd argue his creation is the most unique and creative horror movie concept out there, even beating Craven's A Nightmare on Elm Street.

4.5/5

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Countdown film #2 (I'll officially begin the challenge tonight):

Hellbound: Hellraiser II - Tony Randel, 1988

With plenty of original ideas, it expands on the premise without being too repetitive. Some of the "rules" of the Cenobites and their world become a little muddled (e.g. why did Julia go to the world but Larry died?). But what the film lacks in logical coherency it makes up for in balls-to-the-wall insanity, with some incredibly imaginative visuals and brilliant makeup effects. The doctor character in the last act is just bonkers. The movie's not as strong as the original overall, but it's an entertaining, worthy followup.

3.5/5

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Clive Barker reportedly has a strong fear/discomfort with skinlessness, which is why he incorporates it into his work so often. Sort of a catharsis sort of thing.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

:siren::siren: My official start :siren::siren:

1. Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth - Anthony Hickox, 1992

Knowing its reputation, I went into this with rock bottom expectations. And it met them. There isn't much here that appealed to me. Everything I like about the first two films - the interesting characters, the good directing, and most importantly the imaginative ideas - are gone here. What we get instead is an ugly looking, dumb movie with a lousy script and acting that ranges from below average to atrocious.

But above all that, the worst thing about this is how it does away with the core ideas of the first two films. The entire concept of the cenobites being summoned from a metaphysical realm to take a person to their personal hell, is gone. Here the cenobites are reduced to Terminator-like monsters walking around the city blowing stuff up. They've lost all of their mystique.

By dumb horror standards it's not a terrible movie. It's got some decent gore and effects, and the Pinhead character is undeniably cool looking. But for the standard set by its two predecessors, it's a total failure.

/ 5

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

I see on Letterboxd that you did not enjoy Hellraiser III very much. Can't say I'm surprised! Oh poo poo you beat me to it.

Next on my list is Hellraiser Bloodline, but I'm seriously considering cutting my losses with the franchise here and moving on to my next movie.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

Is this the one with the CD cenobite?

I really like that shot you chose.

Yeah there's the CD-shooting one, the one with a camera in his eye (lots of horrible puns from this guy), and the bartender who throws gasoline from his shaker and then blows fire.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Ravenous is so great. I rented it on VHS from the new release shelf at Blockbuster back in 1999. I had no idea what I was getting into, and it floored me. I've seen it at least half a dozen times since then and it always holds up.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

I still haven't watched Ravenous so it's going to be the next thing I watch.

Will someone please recommend me a wildcard, preferably on Shudder? I'll mention if I've already seen it.

:siren:Feel free to request Wildcards from others. I fall in the habit of perusing lists for half an hour instead of watching things because I can never decide.:siren:

That's precisely why I constructed my list ahead of time. Paralysis by analysis hits me hard.

My Shudder wild card suggestion: Fender Bender

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I think VHS Viral is worth watching. It's the weakest of the three by a large margin, but it has Parallel Monsters which is really great.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Yeah I find it hard to imagine being murky about Safe Haven. If any stretch of horror ever screams "memorable" to me, it's that.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

alansmithee posted:

Dead and Buried is great.

Also rewatched From Beyond, great as always. But since I've already seen it, figure I'll try to watch something new so throw me down for a shudder wildcard.

I think the stories are fine, it's the wraparound that's kinda junk. Also I think Parallel Monsters is the weakest imo-I think it would've been better if it was more low-key with what happens. I just found it kinda goofy, and not in a good way. Bonestorm's one of my favorites in the whole series-it's basically a live-action zombie video game.

And without going too far astray, how do people feel about the ABC's of Death, or The Theatre Bizarre?

ABCs of Death is steaming garbage. I haven't seen the sequel.

Shudder wild card recommendation: Tombs of the Blind Dead

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

alansmithee posted:

And that's a great choice, but I've seen it already :(. Got another?

how about : Pieces

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

2. Hellraiser: Bloodline - Alan Smithee (haha, yep), 1996

It's actually directed by a guy named Kevin Yagher, but the credits on the movie say Alan Smithee.

A much better film than part 3. This one, although not as inventive and intriguing as the first two, at least feels like a Hellraiser movie. Pinhead is once again a menacing demon summoned from hell, rather than just a slasher villain. The acting and directing are solid, and there are a few grisly deaths worthy of Clive Barker himself. The cenobites are also much improved. The twins are great. I also kinda dig the space setting, as unnecessary as it may be.

It doesn't reach the imagination of part 2 nor the general greatness of part 1, but it's significantly better than 3. I think I'll move on from this series now with a somewhat decent taste in my mouth.

/ 5

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Lurdiak posted:

Don't watch the other Hellraiser sequels, because they make this one look like "the good one".

Well you can see I liked part 4 a lot more than 3, but yeah I think I'll call it a day here. The fact that a lot of the sequels after 4 are just miscellaneous horror movie scripts with Pinhead shoehorned in sounds quite unappealing.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

3. Bride of Re-Animator - Brian Yuzna, 1989

I have no idea why I waited so long to watch this. I worshipped Re-Animator back in highschool. I knew of this sequel but never got around to watching it. Maybe I feared it wouldn't live up to the original and would tarnish my opinion of it? I dunno, but I was wrong.

Now over 17 years after first falling in love with Re-Animator, I've fallen in love with its sequel. It has all of the dark humor, gore, and general fun of the original. And most importantly it has Jeffrey Combs playing one of the greatest mad scientists in all of film. He plays Herbert West completely straight, which makes his reactions to all the crazy poo poo that goes down really hilarious.

It's also a great looking movie. Yuzna fills the scenes with colorful lighting and tons of atmospheric little details. The effects are clever and convincing. It's so much more technically impressive than I expected it to be.

I haven't had this much fun with a horror movie in years. It's not just a worthy follow-up to its classic predecessor, but it's every bit as good.

/ 5

e: After some careful consideration I'm changing my score. The movie deserves an extra half Herbert head.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 5, 2017

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

How is Beyond Re-Animator?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Drunkboxer posted:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 (1986)

I love tcm2 so much. And I'm convinced that it's the movie that Rob Zombie has based his whole career on.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'd say he's a jock, he's just not an rear end in a top hat jock.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

But Blood and Black Lace is just so drat pretty!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm going off script because I saw this was on Shudder and it looked good

4. Sweet, Sweet Lonely Girl - A.D. Calvo, 2016

An atmospheric slow burner, it adeptly builds a nice layer of dread throughout its short running time. It's superbly shot, with lots of striking compositions and a great 80s aesthetic. Plot wise it's solid, though I feel the last act is rushed and the story points don't gel together as cohesively as I'd hoped they would. But despite not sticking the landing, the experience is totally worthwhile.

/ 5

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Glad you liked Hellraiser 2. Yeah that bed scene is the most disturbing gore scene in the series (well, in the first four films at least. I haven't seen the rest).

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

5. The Uninvited - Lewis Allen, 1944

A lighthearted and intriguing haunted house story. Its primary asset is its enveloping plot, full of mysteries and twists. The script is intricate without being convoluted. What I find most fascinating about this is how it wants to be scarier than it is, but the movie's own tone betrays that desire. Perhaps chalk it up to the sensibilities of the time (in 1944 you wouldn't want a movie to be too scary, after all), the playful dialogue and cheerful - almost whimsical - score both undermine the creepiness of the film's story and atmosphere. In other words, with a more serious script and score the film would have been significantly more unsettling given the effectiveness of many of its eerie visuals and set pieces. Regardless, it's a fun, technically proficient little movie that I thoroughly recommend.

/ 5

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I could watch Vincent Price read from the dictionary for two hours. With his back turned to the camera. And the sound off. And I'd stare in wide-eyed bliss.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

6. The Blob - Irvin S. Yeaworth Jr., 1958

It's the prototype for every "meteor lands, hatches monster, monster starts killing everyone" sci-fi movie. Think Killer Klowns from Outer Space, which did a great job satirizing this movie and others like it. Interestingly, it's very much a slasher prototype too, as it hits many of the same beats. Steve McQueen carries this. It's one of his first major film roles, yet he displays all of the charisma, charm and conviction that would make him a star. He's just endlessly watchable.

My only real complaint with this movie is that it feels restrained in terms of how much screen time the blob actually gets. I'm sure budgetary concerns were an issue, but I also suspect that the filmmakers felt limited by the special effects and didn't want to produce any shots that felt overly phony. A shame. Watching the movie nearly sixty years after its release, I say: the more corny effects the better. Nevertheless, we don't get nearly as much of the blob as I would have liked.

But despite that relatively minor complaint, I enjoyed this a lot. For fun 50s sci-fi/horror, you could do a lot worse.

/ 5

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Irony.or.Death posted:

4. The Red Queen Kills 7 Times (1972) - This one has been on my list forever, but I've always been worried that it wouldn't live up to the title. It turned out to be...kind of exactly what you'd expect, I guess. A perfectly serviceable giallo that isn't going to be anyone's favorite. There's a suggestion of the supernatural, there's goofy intra-family plotting, everyone in the movie is either police, a drug dealer, or works in fashion. And is rich. You've basically seen this movie half a dozen times already but if you feel like seeing it again (and you probably do), this will do the job. Bonus points for the goofiest spooky crypt setting I have ever seen. Someone was really proud of this bat.

This looks great. I need to add it to my giallo watchlist.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

7. 5 Dolls for an August Moon - Mario Bava, 1970

If you go into this expecting a traditional giallo you'll be disappointed. Absent are the stumped detectives, gruesome deaths, and gratuitous nudity. This is Bava doing something pretty unique. His style here echoes more of Antonioni than Fulci. His focus more on aesthetics than plot. His camera lingers on gorgeous women, on sensual conversations. There's an undercurrent of mistrust, jealousy and sexual desire running through every scene. Even as characters are being offed one by one, Bava would rather dwell on a beautiful half naked woman smoking a cigarette than on a bloody corpse. And most interestingly, there's a dark, subtle playfulness throughout. Each time someone dies and we cut to another hanging corpse in the freezer and the organ score swells, it's oddly humorous.

To me Bava stands out among all the Italian horror maestros of the 70s. His style is the most controlled and deliberate, his voice the most mature and self-assured. 5 Dolls for an August Moon is him at his most technically proficient and confidently eccentric.

/ 5

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

8. The Living Dead Girl - Jean Rollin, 1982

In a period where every director of zombie films, American or otherwise, was following the Romero template, Jean Rollin made one unlike any other. And he deserves a shitload of credit for that. None of the usual zombie trappings are here. No shambling ghouls. No boarded up refuges. No shotguns. Instead we've got Rollin's usual ethereal mood, beautiful women roaming around in sheer dresses, and lots of gratuitous nudity. The zombie here (there's only one) is written more like an amnesia victim than an undead corpse. We also get lots of gratuitous gore thrown into the mix, which is always welcome.

Of the Rollin films I've seen so far, this one has the most interesting story. It's simple but intriguing. I can also sense the attempt to create fleshed out characters, though not to an entirely successful effect. The English-speaking couple are set up well but ultimately end up being rather pointless. But the relationship and backstory between the two main girls is handled well.

Rollin may not be the most virtuosic horror director, but he's certainly one of the most stylistically pointed. The dude has his thing, he does it well, and he sticks to it. Fortunately for us his thing makes for unique, entrancing, delightfully unrestrained horror cinema.

/ 5

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 10, 2017

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

9. They Live - John Carpenter, 1988

The premise is novel, allegorical and extremely fun. The movie's filled with little surprising moments that either made me laugh, startled me, or both. A good example is the bottle to the head -> fall out the window -> roll down the hill scene. That poo poo had me laughing out loud.

I love the way Carpenter takes his time establishing the setting, and how he lets the story unfold very naturally. By the time Piper's character first puts on the glasses we're glued in, acutely invested in the mystery. And the payoff to this setup (what the glasses show) is tremendously cool.

Unfortunately the film takes a major hit in its third act. It feels rushed and lazy, devolving into uninteresting action and a tacked on resolution. The film ought to have been about forty minutes longer. As it stands the film's climactic high point is actually the long-rear end fight scene between Piper's and David's characters. Everything after that feels like an after thought.

But I like this movie despite that qualm. The concept is super intriguing and well executed, at least for the first hour. If it had maintained the level of quality shown by the first two acts, this might have been a five star movie.

/ 5

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Yeah Eyes of my Mother is a hard sell because it falls in that odd middle ground between art film (I actually hate that term) and gore-driven visceral horror. If you describe it as being super hosed up people will be expecting lots of graphic violence. But if you describe it as artistically fascinating people won't be prepared for how disturbing it is. Its unsettling nature comes, I think, from a combination of its style, its subject, the gore it does show, and just how well made it is.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

10. The Good Son - Joseph Ruben, 1993 (rewatch)

This is certainly not one I was intending to watch for this challenge. My wife and I watched it on a whim last night, it's categorized as horror, so I'm counting it.

It absolutely reeks of Hollywood studio brainstorming. "Hey guys, you know what we should do to cash in on this Culkin craze? We should make him a bad guy! That's interesting, right?" Okay, so maybe it's sort of interesting. Coming right off the heels of the Home Alone films, seeing cute little Kevin McCallister as a sinister horror villain was novel to say the least. But the problem is he's just not a very good actor. He's mumbly, twitchy and his line delivery comes off very rehearsed. For whatever reason this worked in Home Alone, but in a serious horror/drama his poor acting really shows itself. Especially working alongside Elijah Wood who acts circles around him.

The one thing I'd say I like about this is how nice looking it is. It takes good advantage of the beautiful coastal Maine landscape with some stunning shots of the cliffs and the ocean.

There's nothing particularly scary here. I suppose if you're a mother who has fears of raising a rotten kid this might strike a chord, but otherwise it's quite tepid. Back in the 90s they frequently wasted the R-rating (there's no way in hell they wouldn't make this PG-13 today). I'm not saying I needed to see the dog explode into a gory mess, but give me something that justifies me sneaking into the theater to see this. It's essentially a Lifetime movie with star power, a good cinematographer, and a couple F words.

/ 5

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

11. The Mystery of the Wax Museum - Michael Curtiz, 1933

The 1953 House of Wax is a remake of this. Despite not having the great Vincent Price, this 1933 version is pretty much just as good. It has more of a detective whodunnit feel, but the horror elements are alive and well. Lionel Atwill plays a good version of the vengeful, disfigured wax sculptor.

I believe this is the earliest feature length film I've seen in technicolor. It's the two-color process, which gives the film a pink and green hue. I think it's really cool looking, but apparently it wasn't popular to audiences at the time and it was expensive, so there aren't a whole lot of these. But I'd say my favorite thing about this is its look.

/ 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

12. Hex - Kuei Chih-Hung, 1980

Another entertaining Shaw Brothers horror film. It's more subdued in regard to supernatural wackiness than Black Magic or Seeding of a Ghost, but the ghost/horror elements are certainly present. They just don't kick in until the last act. Also around that point the story cohesion takes a nose dive. The plot in the first two thirds is pretty tight, full of interesting twists and developments. The last third goes a little haywire, including a nude dance sequence that comes out of nowhere and goes on for a hilariously long time. But crazy poo poo out of nowhere is sort of what appeals to me about these movies. There's a wild charm to these Shaw films. Even when they lack logic or consistency they're a blast, and refreshingly different from the horror I'm more familiar with.

/ 5

• Locked thread