Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Nice! The Blind Dead films are some of my favorites. Even when things get repetitive in the sequels like you mention, the templars themselves are endlessly watchable. It's downright exciting whenever they emerge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Man I'm getting behind. Been super busy this week. I'm catching Alien Covenant tonight so that'll probably be my #13.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

Wtf, Covenant comes out today? I assumed you were talking about a midnight showing but my theatre has one at 7 and 10pm. I think I'm gonna see it too, so far I've managed to stay completely unspoiled, which is basically the complete opposite of what happened with Prometheus. Very hyped.

Well it officially comes out tomorrow, with "midnight" showings tonight. It's just that theaters have begun changing their definition of midnight to mean 7pm.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Also yeah, I've kept myself unspoiled as well. I've seen the trailer but have avoided anything else. And from the looks of all the black bars in the Alien thread, there are a LOT of spoilers out there. I'm pretty excited for it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

:siren: :toxx: averted :siren:

13. Alien: Covenant - Ridley Scott, 2017

I walked away from this with an overall feeling of satisfaction, but the more I ponder it the more its flaws become apparent. But first the good stuff. It does all the things it needs to do as both a Prometheus sequel and an Alien prequel. It successfully extends Prometheus into the echelon of "typical" Alien films, while itself working satisfyingly as such a film. The acting is top notch all around. Fassbender, who's really the heart and soul of these movies, is the obvious highlight, but the rest of the cast is solid all around. I'm a sucker for religious metaphors and this film's rife with them. The themes of creation, the death of god, "serve in heaven or reign in hell", etc. did it for me.

And now the bad stuff. In the original Alien the alien itself is a mostly hidden, mysterious nightmare. It's shown mainly in fleeting glimpses and quick bursts of violence. It's what makes that movie so horrifying and intense. But with Alien Covenant Ridley Scott seems to have taken his approach from Alien Resurrection and turned the aliens into snarling, brightly lit, overly shown CGI blobs. I know it's trite to complain about CGI, but every time an alien appeared the CGI distracted me. I just think 2017 creature effects should look better than this.

But more on point, my complaint is more about Scott's aesthetics than about the quality of the effects. The film looks and feels like every other big Hollywood action spectacle of late. The disorienting, quick-cutting action scenes are the worst offender. But the whole thing feels like it was taken from The Big Book of Hollywood Production Design, everything from the design of the ship down to the clicking sound the proto-aliens make. It's all extremely stale.

Maybe I'm expecting too much? After all it IS a big Hollywood movie. But then again this is the dude who directed Alien and Bladerunner, two of the most mold-breaking science fiction films ever made. I guess I expected a more unique vision.

/ 5

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

14. Ravenous - Antonia Bird, 1999 (rewatch)

There's just nothing else quite like Ravenous. I loved it the first time I saw it (on VHS back in 1999), and I've loved it every time I've watched it since. It's beautifully shot, filled with gritty texture and gorgeous scenery. The casting is all around excellent, and the score is one of most memorable in all of horror. It's a darkly humorous, unassuming, gritty little movie that just needs to exist. I'm really glad it does.

/ 5

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

15. The Blackcoat's Daughter - Oz Perkins, 2015

A slow-burner, impeccably paced and thoroughly satisfying. The cardinal sin of mysterious plots is that the movie fails to make us give a poo poo about figuring it out. Not so here. It's really engrossing stuff. The film performs a perfect balancing act, feeding us clues and keeping us at just the right distance. And all throughout is a feeling of dread, encroaching violence and unseen horror. It's an unsettling, enthralling movie that I'm anxious to revisit.

/ 5

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

My plan for the home stretch: Phantom of the Opera (1945), The Bloodstained Shadow, and Fright Night

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

Which Fright Night?

Original. I always forget there's a remake.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Haxan (1922):

Some very impressive visual effects here - the flying scene is pretty incredible for the time, and the craftwork sets for images of hell and the divine cosmology were great and obviously involved a ton of work. Generally speaking, the cinematography here finds a way to do a lot even when there isn't much to work with. As a documentary, I'm not sure that it is all that informative unless you don't know much at all about the history of witchcraft, but the decision to dramatize it keeps it interesting even when you aren't learning anything new. It feels a bit disjointed, with multiple threads that don't really add much or lack any kind of satisfying context / resolution, though a few of them add a little dose of humor, but it's still worth watching for the visuals alone.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:

It's cool that you watched this. It's such a brilliant oddity.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I wasn't able to get around to all the movies I was planning, but over all it was a really fun month.

Here's a recap of my scores (because I spent time making these drat icons and I want to get some more use out of them):

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth

Hellraiser: Bloodline

Bride of Re-Animator

Sweet, Sweet Lonely Girl

The Uninvited

The Blob

5 Dolls for an August Moon

The Living Dead Girl

They Live

The Good Son

The Mystery of the Wax Museum

Hex

Alien: Covenant

Ravenous

The Blackcoat's Daughter

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Back in the days of old school Netflix (circa 2004 or so), they had a comprehensive search function where you could find movies by director, year, actor, etc. They did away with that in favor of the disorganized mess of "here's what you will watch next" tiles. Netflix is such a bad service for people who don't want to be hand held in making their watching decisions.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

alansmithee posted:

I'm ashamed I didn't finish the challenge (I did get in some more movies, but not 13), and doubly shamed I missed the redemption viewing (although I've already seen night train to terror).

As penance if people want, the dudes who finished can pick 3 movies that I'll watch and do a minimum 500 word writeup about each. Only requirement is they're up on streaming (amazon prime, shudder, hulu, netflix, youtube). If this thread gets unstickied/disappeared, i'll post in the main horror thread.

Have you seen Fascination? If not, that's one you should watch. It's on Shudder.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

alansmithee posted:

I've actually seen it. And as an aside, I've been surprised how well received Jean Rollin seems by people in the thread. I've seen a bunch of his movies but I've not really been too impressed. They just seem to have much going on, besides naked women and pretty scenery (as nice as those things are).

What I enjoy about his movies (aside from the naked women and pretty scenery) is their atmosphere. Ethereal and dreamlike is how I'd describe it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Confession: I've never seen the theatrical version of The Exorcist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Mine is Halloween. It's always seemed, I dunno, bland I guess.

• Locked thread