Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

precision posted:

The novel ends on a hopeful, but ambiguous, note. Then there's an epilogue that is unambiguously "good" (the regime we see in the show only lasts like 10 years)

e: oh, but to answer your actual question, yeah there are a lot of things coming up that aren't just "pure misery"

I saw a semi-joking quote from Margaret Atwood in the newspaper the other day about how she finally has to work out what happens to Offred after the book ends after being asked about it incessantly for 30 years.

She rules :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

:stare: :stare:

I presented my senior thesis about The Handmaid's Tale in the room where they did the scene where the US government in exile gives Luke the letter from June.

And I lived a block away from the "Little America" park for 4 years--it's the Esplanade in Toronto. I also like that they left the CN Tower prominently in all the shots.

I don't know how they could tailor this show to me any more than they have.

:stare:

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

timp posted:

That's loving crazy

I mean, it's in University College at U of T and they film a tooooon of stuff there, it just gave me the wiggins.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

precision posted:

I would be totally okay with it if season 2 has this show become a spy thriller about June and Lucas infiltrating/taking down Gilead.

They've done a really good job with the new material so far. I've been curious about stuff like the resistance and what life was like up in Canada for years.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Stellar Curiosity posted:

Screencap of the flag with the 48 hollow stars:

I did Good Academic Work in this room, but also a lot of shitposting on SA, Hahahaha.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

BJPaskoff posted:

It was reasoned in the interview by "fertility trumps all".

I actually kind of like this, it's a divergence from the book that makes logical sense while also fitting in more with 2017 minority representation vs. the 1980s.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

There Bias Two posted:

They'd be purged.

I like that they're alluding to (book spoiler) the first set of purges that they mention in the epilogue, where Waterford is killed for being in possession of illegal material and "harboring a subversive"

My guess is the season will end with some of that stuff as opposed to what happens at the end of the book.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Just watched the new episode and holy loving poo poo :stare: :stare: :stare:

And Moira is the baddest of bad asses, I'm so glad that they kept her in the show as opposed to the book, where her and June meet for the last and only time at Jezebel's.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

I feel like Nick is a much more well done character than he is getting credit for. They are trying to walk a line, his performance is subdued, because the character has to be subdued. He would not be able to survive in the hellscape he was complicit in creating otherwise.

Throughout his flashback he is never positioned as a true believer, just someone who is desperate and depressed. It felt very authentic, because that's how most terrorists start. He's obviously flawed, he is incredibly self-involved, and his situation is privileged, but he is trapped too.

I'm expecting and hoping Offred's condemnation of him to be a major catalyst for growth, one that leads him to join the resistance. His arc is gonna be like an attempt in alt-right deprogramming.

He's also much more well rounded than he was in the book, I really really enjoyed his flashback scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

I totally lost my poo poo and started crying when Luke showed up at the refugee centre for Moira, because he put her on his family alert list

• Locked thread