Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So I get why people say this is thematically poignant and timely but isn't saying "We're 3/4 of the way there" (a sentiment I saw in one review) a bit much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I dunno. I don't want to be a contrarian, because this show is unbelievably well done and thematically it's extremely pertinent, and I acknowledge similar things happen a lot more in other parts of the world, but I've been seeing reviews with titles like "The Handmaid's Tale Could Happen To Us" and that seems rather clickbait-y to me.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

I mean, sure. Could it literally haopen to us the way it happened im the show? No. Should people be constantly vigilant that this sort of thing could be happening? Yes.

3 months ago, I never would have expected that I would have to worry about mainstream white supremacists and neonazis in the United States. Like, these were ideologies that were still very much alive, but they didn't have mainstream acceptance, and now they do.

I'll give you that and I'm probably being pedantic, to be entirely fair. I just get frustrated by people who panic and, in far too many cases, don't do anything about it. That's largely how we loving got here.

• Locked thread