Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The Handmaids Tale is a Hulu exclusive adaptation of Margaret Atwood's phenomenal 1984 novel ( and how fitting that it was released in 1984).

Wait.. no that's not it:

Nope.. sorry ...

Ah Ha!!!

Okay , so what is The Handmaids Tale A Primer for why all men should be kept in kennels and only let out for breeding purposes. It's a Dystopian Science Fiction / Speculative Fiction set now about how a religious order takes over control over the United States and institutes a policy of using Handmaidens after a disease/virus/the internet makes a majority of the population infertile.

For biblical reference: Gensisis 16 or so

Now Sarai, Abram’s wife, had borne him no children. But she had an Egyptian slave named Hagar; 2so she said to Abram, “The Lord has kept me from having children. Go, sleep with my slave; perhaps I can build a family through her.”

Abram agreed to what Sarai said. 3So after Abram had been living in Canaan ten years, Sarai his wife took her Egyptian slave Hagar and gave her to her husband to be his wife. 4He slept with Hagar, and she conceived.

When she knew she was pregnant, she began to despise her mistress. 5Then Sarai said to Abram, “You are responsible for the wrong I am suffering. I put my slave in your arms, and now that she knows she is pregnant, she despises me. May the Lord judge between you and me.”

6“Your slave is in your hands,” Abram said. “Do with her whatever you think best.” Then Sarai mistreated Hagar; so she fled from her.

7The angel of the Lord found Hagar near a spring in the desert; it was the spring that is beside the road to Shur. 8And he said, “Hagar, slave of Sarai, where have you come from, and where are you going?”

“I’m running away from my mistress Sarai,” she answered.

9Then the angel of the Lord told her, “Go back to your mistress and submit to her.” 10The angel added, “I will increase your descendants so much that they will be too numerous to count.”

Basically a mans wife can't get pregnant so that dudes wife is obviously infertile and totally not his fault for having weak sperm or a narrow urethra so they use a Hand Maid. Which has nothing to do with Hand Jobs which would defeat the purpose of getting pregnant but would also maybe prevent some calamities? I am unsure.

Okay so discuss the show and how it has emotionally devastated you.

edit:

Dammit , you use to be able to change the tag. Whatever. Mods please change tag to Anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Snak posted:

I just started watching this. I read the first, I dunno, chapter or two of the book a decade ago, and I'm familiar with Margaret Atwood, so I have​ a little bit of an idea what to expect.

But, holy poo poo they aren't allowed to read. That makes sense, but I didn't predict it...

The show is a little different than the book . In the book we never learn her name

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Big Bug Hug posted:

I thought that we did, but it wasn't until way late in the book(?) It's been a while since I read it.

I really like the show, my daughter and I are 2 episodes in.

In a round about way you learn her name but I don't think it's something that's outright stated.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Episode 4 is up now, and it is uh just as loving brutal.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I couldn't tell if the Doctor she saw was serious or it was another trap for June.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The pop and rock songs are perfect juxtaposition as to what we are seeing it lets us know that this is the now not the then.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wait , if this is her second posting does that mean she had a kid for another couple?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

In the book, Handmaids get three postings that each last one year (plus pregnancy, if applicable) in which they have to conceive and deliver a healthy child. If they do, they're set for life and will never be declared an Unwoman or shipped off to the Colonies. If they fail to have any children after three tries, one of those things will happen.

I actually found this a interesting part of the books because it basically states their society will fail , just from like lack of population growth.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That was the most tense sex scene I have ever seen and not in a sexy way. It was just really intense. I think it was because of the music because I kept expecting someone to burst in with guns.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 11, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

precision posted:

Are you referring to the one with Nick or the one with the Commander? Either way, I agree.

The one with Nick.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I hope they get into Mrs. Waterford's background as a TV personality , I remember finding her character fascinating when I read the book. She was a Tammy Far Baker/Phyllis Schafly type who went on TV and railed against feminism, orthodox control,etc. It would be great if they updated her into being like Megan Kelley or Tomi Lauren,someone who championed against women's rights for those sweet evangelical dollars that'll only too help set up their own subjugation.

I hope they make her a Fox News correspondent.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Just read articles on Japan because the future does not look good for them at all.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Tonights episode is really loving good. I am surprised though that they made them super loving directly responsible for their society .

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What the gently caress, did you both not understand why June would want to have sex ,enjoyable, rock your world sex. What the gently caress is wrong with both of you.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 20, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Help

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I thought it was done really loving sexy

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wow, that is really loving depressing. I can't imagine going through life without being able to enjoy art.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yet again. Another week of Emotional Devastation. This loving show is so good and I hope it wins everything.

If this show ended the way the book did then it would be loving awful.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Collateral posted:

There was an Oriental looking fellow that went into Fred's office with other commanders of Gilead in episode one.

Oriental is a flavor packet not a term to be applied to people.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah , Nick is just the type of person who is easily recruited. Out of work, upset / angry with the world, etc.. This was a really great episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Ah man this was the Season Finale. gently caress...

In a way it ended how it should have. I know they want a 2nd season but really they should just not.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 16, 2017

• Locked thread