Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
That one verse from the theme song to Mystery Science Theater 3000 comes to mind. You know the one.

Seriously, why nitpick all this stuff? Is it causing some of you to not enjoy the show as much? Like, I love The Expanse - that's a hard sci fi show that prides itself on scientific realism wrt physics, engineering, biology, etc, so discussing inconsistencies and lapses in realism every now and then makes sense. But that is so NOT the point of this show, imo. It's a "what if" sort of parallel universe that has some uncomfortable similarities to our current American society. Enjoy the show for what it is, and if you can't do that then, I dunno, watch something else I guess?

I don't mean to be so negative, so on a positive note, I'm really enjoying this show so far. I checked to see if someone had made a thread a few days ago and there was none, so thanks to the OP for putting one together. I'm excited so see where things go; hopefully Offred gets to use that cattle prod on the teacher lady at some point. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

whalesteak posted:

"If you find any part of the show less enjoyable than any other part, don't discuss how it might be better, just stop watching" is a really stupid thing to say on a message board devoted to discussing tv.

What I actually said was if you don't enjoy the show, don't watch it

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Oh man, something that jumped out at me as to clever by half in episode... 3 I think?

In a flashback scene, taking place after women are robbed of agency and property rights by the new regime, people are massed in protest. There is a very salient, contemporary feel to people marching in the streets while riot cops equipped like occupation soldiers menace them.

However in the show, a pair of the riot cops/soldiers armed with squad automatic weapons start tearing into the crowd with their weapons, meeting peaceful protest with overwhelming, terrifying violence.

There's what I think was a clever trick here. Before they do, one of the protesters throws a punch or two at one of the machine gun cops. Casting out the wild haymaker, he must clearly be used to the old paradigm and expecting to be met with a truncheon, tear gas, whatever less than lethal means would have been on use of force continuum before Gilead replaced the US of A.

What these punches do to the audience, at least to me, is awaken that deeply conditioned authoritarian follower response, a itch in the brain that says "If only he hadn't thrown punches." "What did he think would happen, that cop had a machine gun!" "He MADE them do that, things might not have escalated if he'd just stayed within the lines."

And to me that adds to the effectiveness of the scene. OBVIOUSLY it's a hysterically monstrous over-reaction to meet a fist with hundreds of rounds from an M249 fired indiscriminately into a crowd. But-- but-- adding that flourish gives the viewer that little Good German tickle of "He was no saint" "he had it coming" "I'm not saying they were right but..."

Yeah I really loved that scene. Everyone protesting goes from indignant rage to abject terror in seconds flat as they realize that the game has totally changed. Also, a lot of people have been down on the pop and rock songs being used, but I've been quite into it, and I thought the creepy sad Heart of Glass arrangement there was really cool.

They may have had heart to get out there and protest like that, but ultimately they were completely and utterly shattered.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

nah it's an important book and i would assume anyone interested in the show would have read it.

Hate to dogpile but, uh, yeah. What the poo poo? Is this a joke?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Kanine posted:

"Better never means better for everyone, it always means worse for some."

holy poo poo

That was brutal. It hit her like a ton of bricks

The new episode is very, um...sexy??

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Elizabeth Moss loving blows me away as an actress. Her line delivery and facial expressions are so layered and the execution is perfect.

The scene in the bath, her line delivery for "awesoooome.." slayed me. And when she's in the Commander's room and you see a whole conversation she's having in her head by her facial expressions as she reaches the decision to try to seduce him...

:discourse:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bamabalacha posted:

:stare: :stare:

I presented my senior thesis about The Handmaid's Tale in the room where they did the scene where the US government in exile gives Luke the letter from June.

And I lived a block away from the "Little America" park for 4 years--it's the Esplanade in Toronto. I also like that they left the CN Tower prominently in all the shots.

I don't know how they could tailor this show to me any more than they have.

:stare:

That's loving crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I liked that they subverted our expectation that an outdoorsman hunter rural shitkicker would be on the side of Gilead and rat them out.

"It's hosed up."

I also enjoyed that. It was nice to see men treating this like the apocalyptic government takeover that it was instead of being happy they get to treat women like poo poo. Hope there are more of them out there...

• Locked thread