Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Presumably they did fertility testing, rather than solely relying on the metric of 'has previously had children'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I don't think the increase in the brutality here is to do with 'gotta ramp it up! Gotta get viewers!', so much as a changing awareness of 'huh, sometimes poo poo is awful'. The original was written with the Iranian Revolution hot in the news. This series comes with daesh having dominated the news for the last few years and an increasing upswell in critical opinion (against and for) and awareness of female genital mutilation. The kind of horror show in the news has already prepared an audience to engage in things like religiously motivated maimings and brought it into awareness in a way it simply wasn't at the time of the book's publication.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 2, 2017

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
For a little context on the brutality of this last episode, foot whipping is a very old punishment that really took off again in Iran with the revolution, which is why it went in the book - but it also has an ugly history in reform schools in Massachusetts and in women's camps in the Third Reich. The use of frayed iron cable is a little harsher than what most places do with it, though, since it escalates from 'harsh' to 'permanently crippling' when you start using a lot of force. Not unheard of though.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

phosdex posted:

Are we supposed to know what happened to Ofglen? Or is that something that is going to be explained later. Because right now I'm going under the assumption it has to do with female circumcision.

It's fairly clear contextually. 'Woman valued only as breeding stock wakes up with bloody bandages around her genitals in a hospital in totalitarian fundamentalist regime and told she can't want what she can't have now' reads very clearly as 'fgm'.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

phosdex posted:

Well yeah but this is also some alternate history/future and I wasn't sure if there was something else going on that would be divulged later.

I doubt it. The series, like the book, is meant to call to mind contemporary abuses and issues. Having it be some bizarre sci-fi gibberish would defeat the purpose.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Pocket Billiards posted:

Was Ofglens trial and fgm explicitly after her replacement? I thought it was a flashback.

I can't see how it could be construed as anything but post-exposure.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Well, the episode she gets disappeared in we're told that is exactly what's been going on - she's been intimate with one of the Marthas at Glen's house.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
"This is a brutal place." about sums it up, really.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Perhaps Nick's actor is a reasonably conventionally attractive man, but we all perceive attraction differently. I know, shocker. Also, I wonder if him being a literal tool of a fascist regime might be informing some of the 'hot or not'.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Re: Timeline
Janine is already pregnant when June arrives at Gilead, this makes sense as June spent a few months recovering from having her legs broken at the Red Center, and I figure Handmaids don't spend much time in the Red Center so all in all it could be as little as one year between the time June was captured and the time Janine jumps.

I figured that Janine handed the baby when she was weaned from breastfeeding so the toddler could be quite young (particularly with Warren's wife trying to get rid of Janine).

They didn't break her legs. They beat the soles of her feet with frayed steel cable. It's a very different punishment and one with much deeper roots in theocracies than just smashing some kneecaps up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Escobarbarian posted:

lol that Feeling Good scene felt really misguided. you're still rape slaves with no agency but at least you didn't have to kill your friend! empowerment!

most of the finale was real good though. some scenes actually lived up to that hard to watch hyperbole people loved to throw around. Serena Joy is such a piece of poo poo

Revolts begin with small actions.

• Locked thread