Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Every shot in this show is like a painting. The symmetry, the placement of the characters, the lighting... I don't understand how someone could watch this on 2x speed instead of taking all that in. It's part of the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

McSpanky posted:

It is delivering plot units at the inefficient ratio of 1.2 HOLKYFUCKS/act so I had to fastforward it to keep myself sustained on plot, the only reason to consume televisual entertainment product. plotty plot-plot :buddy:

The loving is part of the plot. The actors convey a lot of emotion with their body language that shows changes in how they are feeling toward one another. Much of the story is conveyed wordlessly, so if you start skipping scenes you miss out on details.

e: oh wait you're kidding my bad

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Tiggum posted:

I don't like audiobooks. I find most narrators irritating, and there's no way to skim over the boring parts as you can with a book. TV and movies are totally different because the actors add depth and detail to the characters and the visuals do contribute to the story.

What? Why would you skim over parts of a book? Hell, do you fast forward through songs so you can get to the hook? I'm genuinely puzzled by this.

TV and movies have far less character depth than books, generally speaking.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Tiggum posted:

I'm a very non-visual thinker. Descriptive bits are essentially meaningless to me so I skim over them.

Out of curiosity, what do you do for a living?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Tiggum posted:

At the moment, nothing. I have worked in a call centre and other miscellaneous stuff in market research but mostly I've been a student living off Centrelink. Studied computer science for a while until I realised how boring it was and that I'd basically picked it because I didn't know what I wanted to do and I'd always been "good with computers". Most recently studied writing. Planning on going back to school again to become a teacher.

I don't know why you ant to know any of that, but here you are.

I was just wondering what a person with your apparent lack of visual thinking would excel at. Good luck with teaching though; make sure to focus on strategies to better convey abstract ideas to students.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mustard Iceman posted:

Too bad it didn't make Luke any more interesting as a character.

This episode is probably the setup to do exactly that.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

witchcore ricepunk posted:

I was looking forward to seeing this sequence, with its creepo Eyes Wide Shut vibe. And I'm so grateful the director skipped the sex scene.

They did a good job excluding sex without artistic merit.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So it's a bit odd that Moira was sent to the brothel rather than back to being a bipedal womb given that she's allegedly fertile and all.

I dig that this isn't a plot-hole given that the very existence of the brothel is indicative of the hypocrasy of the higher echelons of the Sons of Jacob, but still, a touch odd given the lengths they went to with Ofglen.

Ofglen hadn't actually assaulted anyone. Her crimes were nonviolent.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

radlum posted:

Do we know what happened to Ofglen after she took that car and drove over a guy?

Not yet. They didn't show her being killed so they might come back to her.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Thwomp posted:

Then again, Moria and June both assaulted that one Aunt in their escape attempt. They both received punishment once they were caught.

It's just weird that Moria wasn't sent back to the Red Center. Somehow, she was branded as a bad apple. It just isn't clear where Gilead's lines are regarding rebellious Handmaids.

She assaulted someone with a deadly weapon and escaped the center. I think the line is pretty clear. Why would it be weird not to send her back?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

withak posted:

Of course they assume that they would be among the elite who are assigned women to rape.

They'd be purged.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

MizPiz posted:

From CSPAM

it keeps getting better after that lol
[/quote]

Honestly I'm not surprised by this. There are people who would rather go through life with zero autonomy than be forced to make decisions and hold responsibilities.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Is it ever clarified where the colonies are? Are they parts of the former US?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I worry that the show will fall off the rails now that they will be going beyond the source material. That said, season 1 was great and I would be satisfied with that ending if it was not continued.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Skizzzer posted:

it was empowering but was just undercut by the inclusion of the song. i like the song but man did it take me out of the moment. whoever's doing the scoring is hopefully replaced for the next season.

I've always thought the jarring soundtrack was intentional. It highlights the absurdity of the whole situation.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Skizzzer posted:

i would disagree because i don't think the setting is absurd, but if that's the point than i guess the scoring is working as intended.

What about the setting isn't absurd?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

ex post facho posted:

the score on this show is, objectively, bad.

By what objective criteria?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Guy Mann posted:

In the final episode when Aunt Lydia ran out into the middle of circle during the stoning and started berating everyone and ordering them to throw after telling the guards to stand down I was kind of hoping and half-expecting that they would all just stone her to death instead. Yeah that totally wouldn't fit the story but drat if it wouldn't feel good.

I wish June had told her to cast the first stone instead of just dropping it.

• Locked thread