Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I'm surprised the wives are allowed relatively modern clothes. I would think they would be bundled up like all the other women. For some reason it seems out of place that the wives are allowed to walk around without any kind of headdress. Wouldn't they too be bound by the new modesty laws?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
In one of the first episodes Offred and her shopping partner went by what I assume was a school. Little girls in pink uniforms marching in a line. But why would Gilead even have schools for girls? And wouldn't that bounty of children be under heavy guard? Compared to how Janine's former mistress had an armed guard when she took baby Angela/Charlotte for a walk.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
What happens to wives when commanders die? Is there a special institution for venerable widows? Where they are expected to pray around the clock like nuns? Maybe the Aunts are widows found to be especially strong believers? Or are widows more or less supposed to want to follow their husbands to the grave? I guess their children would be taken from them and placed with new commanders?

So Daniel was punished harshly because his wife wanted him to be? Meaning wives have a wee bit more power than I thought. But on the other hand, wouldn't Daniel take this out on his wife at the first opportunity?

• Locked thread