Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Invalidating the uncomfortable message of a work of fiction by attacking the realism of a work of fiction?

Sounds a lot like Reification to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

BattyKiara posted:

I'm surprised the wives are allowed relatively modern clothes. I would think they would be bundled up like all the other women. For some reason it seems out of place that the wives are allowed to walk around without any kind of headdress. Wouldn't they too be bound by the new modesty laws?

If the men have absolute power in their household, they would be banging every woman in their household, properly, and woe be to any who complained. Including the wives. Blessed are the meek.

I guess it's just part of the nature of the show. They control how they think, with the words they use, the clothes they wear and the rituals they must observe. All the wives wear the exact same outfit, with the exact same colour, no variation or individuality.

Just thinking about that last scene, Nick is going to get the 3 bells treatment, probably in the last episode, with June (heavily pregnant) watching on. Speculation from me, and a serious deviation from the book opening up the second season. Unless he is a triple agent playing the long game. Doesn't Fred get purged?

Collateral fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 12, 2017

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
They pick and choose those passages that confirm their worldview.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

It loving perplexes me how a Scientologist is the main character.

Irony, I guess. She has a rank similar to the Commander (Celebrity), so she can whatever she wants. Mainline Scientology girls get ritually hosed more than once a month (figuratively speaking).

Better for some, usually means worse for everybody else.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Nah he's banging the mute.

When he finally meets up with her and she is big with nick's spawn. He will say "gently caress it, you damaged goods baby. I got me another cute blonde and she doesn't talk"

Cue spunky pop tune.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

ManlyGrunting posted:

That checks out, actually. Have we seen any non-white characters that weren't handmaidens in the show?

There was an Oriental looking fellow that went into Fred's office with other commanders of Gilead in episode one.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Oriental is a flavor packet not a term to be applied to people.

Seriously, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Their culture is as far removed from that of western whites as it is from other cultural identities.

• Locked thread