Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
I don't get all this arguing about whether or not The Handmaid's Tale could happen so quickly when Daesh currently exists but with less resources and more enemies than a fictional Gilead.

Daesh declared itself a caliphate in June 2014, its been 3 years and the whole of life has been changed, especially for women, in areas under their control.

The fall of the Soviet Union provides another example of a creeping change and then a destabilizing shock that reformed much of society in very short order.

JUICY HAMBUGAR fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

RE: Tactical realism

In the book the revolutionary period is still in motion but nearing its end. Certain bits in the story ahead (Jezebels, the Commander's contraband, the discussion of Gilead in the epilogue) show that there are still rifts between the appearance of a uniform new society and the actuality of it.

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

The latest episode is really good, and almost entirely newer material!

I'm a little disappointed that Serena Joy didn't really get an update to being a more modern conservative in the vein of Coulter, et al., but I guess that was just me trying to project my own desires into the show. I did end up feeling a ton of empathy for her in this episode, it humanized her very well, showing her chafing at the restraints she has built for herself, trying to reclaim her power (any sliver of power anyway), and the utter lack of respect for her as a person embodied in the end of the scene where she had waited outside the conspirator's think tank. It also made me consider the epilogue of the book, and the purges mentioned in them. I'd bet she's one of the first against the wall.

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

In some of the flashback scenes there are little pieces that hint to what is going on. The most jarring for me was the empty carnival grounds (though it was hard to see because nearly all the shots were closeups).

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Ballz posted:

That episode gave me Last of Us vibes and that was a good thing.

I got the exact same vibes.

E: Only Zoe got shot in the boat escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

ManlyGrunting posted:

That checks out, actually. Have we seen any non-white characters that weren't handmaidens in the show?

Rita/Martha is an easy example of a non-white character.

• Locked thread