Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Dunno, he doesn't look ugly to me, at all.

Not to mention that his appearance likely plays a very secondary part in the whole attraction, if I had to wager it's more about the fact that he is secretly powerful, has been sympathetic and gentle towards June and is generally very much into her. Not to mention the whole forbidden love aspect and the fact that they share a few secrets that could get both of them killed.

But that's just me I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's not like Elizabeth Moss is super attractive in a conventional sense and yet everyone is super into her, I'd say this is all probably intentional.

In fact the show goes the extra distance to show that attractive Joseph Fiennes is not attracted to the super attractive Yvonne Strahovski and that in turn June is disgusted with Fiennes.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

whalesteak posted:

I understand the writers include the scenes for contrast and other thematic reasons, but usually someone who is subjected to regular and systematic rapes won't have "get a great sex life" at the top of their list of priorities. It's understandable why people may find that characterization unrealistic, insensitive, or perceive it as just there for titillation.

Her life is torture but it's a daily torture she's been enduring for years, I think it changes things a bit, I mean even people in the Nazi deathcamps had sex after a while.

Another aspect is that by banging Nick she's scorning Fred and taking whatever revenge she can against him, even if he'll never know.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I don't think it ignites anything but I think it's not enough to completely switch it off for the majority of people. After a while even the worst experiences can become an unpleasant mundanity. June specifically brings up the (incorrect) "frog in boiling water" analogy, when things become gradually worse over a long period of time you just eventually get used to it.

And really, I think the whole thing here is that she's reclaiming her agency, and that's probably the main take from that scene (and from the scenes where she becomes more proactive about manipulating Fred).

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think kidnapping and enslaving any fertile woman they could put their hands own helped Gilead considerably in that regard.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So it's a bit odd that Moira was sent to the brothel rather than back to being a bipedal womb given that she's allegedly fertile and all.

I dig that this isn't a plot-hole given that the very existence of the brothel is indicative of the hypocrasy of the higher echelons of the Sons of Jacob, but still, a touch odd given the lengths they went to with Ofglen.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I don't know, is the brothel a worse fate than FGM + continued rape + unwanted pregnancy?

I know that this is a bizarre comparison but it really seemed like Moira had it easy compared to what Ofglen has to endure.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think commanders and wives can have sex whenever they want but they're kind of expected to go about it like sexually repressed ultra-religious stereotypes, we've seen that Serena offered Fred a blowjob and Janine says that she did "everything warren's wife wouldn't", implying that Warren and his wife did have sex, or were allowed to in the very least.

The implication I believe at least with Warren and Fred is that the hosed-up power dynamic between the handmaid and the married couple is too abusable and the husbands who are mostly faking their religious devotion anyway tend to inevitably construct a sort of fake romantic affair fantasy that helps them convince themselves that they are not violently raping the handmaid. Obviously this is also reflected with the attitude's of Serena and Warren's wives who are also resentful of the handmaids.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think that the slow pace works to augment the horror of June's conditions.

I think the show manages to be exciting due to the character drama, even if it doesn't ultimately connect to the background politics and the resistance. Everything to do with Janine was really emotional and heartbreaking, you can't do that without giving the show time for exposition and minor characters.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Re: Timeline
Janine is already pregnant when June arrives at Gilead, this makes sense as June spent a few months recovering from having her legs broken at the Red Center, and I figure Handmaids don't spend much time in the Red Center so all in all it could be as little as one year between the time June was captured and the time Janine jumps.

I figured that Janine handed the baby when she was weaned from breastfeeding so the toddler could be quite young (particularly with Warren's wife trying to get rid of Janine).

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
You take your victories where you can, it was the first open collective act of defiance taken by the handmaids in Gilead and June led it.

Maybe it was a touch too upbeat but the sentiment was clear, before the stoning ceremony they were just a random assortment of women driven into a similar situation, they came out of it united and with a clear leader.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 15, 2017

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Big Bug Hug posted:

One other minor difference is I don't think they did a test, so June only had the "feeling" she was pregnant (that's if I'm remembering correctly). And I can't remember if she'd told Nick. I felt a lot more positive about her trusting him in the show.

Her period was late after the first ceremony.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Pleasing Shape posted:

I don't understand why June was given the notes from other handmaids asking for help. If the resistance is trying to get the notes out of Gilead, isn't the house of a high ranking commander the last place you'd want to hide them in? How is June supposed to smuggle them out anyway? Did I miss something?

I don't think you missed anything.

We're supposed to assume that for some reason it will be easier to deliver the parcel to its ultimate recipient from inside Gilead than from Jezebel's, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense but we don't really know how the Sons of Jacob state is set up and where neccesarily everything is.

Just to theorycraft, perhaps some collaborator within Gilead is awaiting the package, some high ranking man who can travel without being searched. Or otherwise perhaps the entire idea is to wait for another diplomatic visit.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

BlackJosh posted:

Well you could just not watch the second season you weirdo. I don't get TVIVs obsession with ending shows as early as possible. I'd much rather see some new ideas than just one season of almost everything I've read before.

It's not that bizarre, did you never consume some form of media that was awesome to begin with but ultimately ended with a wet fart?

I mean, Game of Thrones aside... the second season of Unreal completely soured my perception of the show. It's not a big deal cause you can really just 'not watch' but we tend to judge works of art on the terms their creators present.

But anyway, I actually have high hopes for season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

veni veni veni posted:

I want to know what the heck happened to the military.

Just a guess: those who didn't defect joined with the Sons of Jacob, they were probably promised fertile women and high-ranking positions.

• Locked thread