Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
yeah that part was gross: "we have a CEO here, a renowned sociology professor..." Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
I do appreciate the back story into Nick's and lucas' lives simply because I think it's worthwhile to also explore the damaging effects of a society like Gilead's on men and families.

also, speaking as a man, I found I could easily and readily emphasize with lucas' story - whereas with the other episodes I'm horrified, angry - but more like sympathetic but not empathetic, like an observer if you know what I mean. with the Lucas episode I could picture my place in the story (or prob just dead)

the nick centered one was like eh, okay, though.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Lum_ posted:

It was tremendously empowering because it was the first moment where the Handmaids realized the power they had through unity; Aunt Lydia could have ordered the Guardians to just shoot Offred or Ofglen in the head and by Gilead's rules probably should have, but she didn't because she understood how hosed up the entire scene was. That open defiance was not stopped. Sure, "there will be consequences" but it still happened. That's why it was so important, and most likely a callout to Season 2: Resist

it was empowering but was just undercut by the inclusion of the song. i like the song but man did it take me out of the moment. whoever's doing the scoring is hopefully replaced for the next season.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
i would disagree because i don't think the setting is absurd, but if that's the point than i guess the scoring is working as intended.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

What about the setting isn't absurd?

just off the top of my head, but 1) some kind of nuclear/environmental calamity affecting the world, 2) a fragmented USA, 3) canada as the great north hope, 4) a group of ultra-conservative white men deciding what rights, reproductive and otherwise, women should have, 5) an increase in religious belief, 6) women forced to wear certain types of clothing, 7) a revolution (or not sure what to call it) against the current political system, and maybe more that i can't think of right now.

fantastical, sure, but absurd? disagree.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Dienes posted:

Wait, you think #4 isn't going on right now?

yeah of course I see it happening, literally saw a picture of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
bathetic was a good word to describe the feeling that hit me when feeling good came on

• Locked thread