Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
I found the first two episodes mediocre because of lame dialogue and annoying editing choices. I don't need frequent slow motion to understand that bad things are happening. I also agree with everyone saying that the pop music choices clash horribly with the intended tone.

The third episode suffered from these issues too, but it was offset by the horror of what was happening and the performances. It was the first really great episode imo. Who knew Alexis Bledel had range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
I get what they were going for with Emily's last act of defiance, but the execution had issues. Lots of people standing around awkwardly, not reacting naturally, etc. That scene really needed some snappier editing/blocking.

Mistikman posted:

Also, it's strange how many people seem to talk about how ridiculous and impossible the show is, but all you need to do is look at Afghanistan to see a real life modern occurrence of a religious group completely usurping power and regressing their culture hundreds of years.

Yup. Or the whole hanging gay people from cranes thing. That's straight out of Iran.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
The flashbacks were great but the present day plot kind of went off the rails in this ep. I appreciate that they need to expand on the book to make it into a series but this latest plot development makes no sense.

1) Gilead is so desperate for babies they need to use Handmaids in the first place

2) But their extreme religious fundamentalism forces them to conceive using a method where even if the Handmaid is fertile she's less likely to get pregnant (bizarre rape ritual once a month instead of IVF/artificial insemination, if the man is infertile she will be punished), meaning they should be even more desperate for babies than people in other, less misogynist countries

3) Despite being so desperate, they are willing to trade Handmaids away to other countries??

If anything Gilead should be even worse off than Mexico and should be trying to import Handmaids from there, not the other way around.

I'd love to view this show in a more allegorical way, but they are the ones insisting on explicitly outlining the details and contradicting themselves instead of leaving it to the imagination like the book.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Die Sexmonster! posted:

You use your phone/tablet while watching, don't you.

The acting and cinematography in this show rank up there with the best. If you're not watching carefully, you're seriously missing out.

I agree about (most of) the acting, but the cinematography? Um, no. I mean goddamn, how much slow motion can one series possibly have? Guess we'll find out!

Some people people in this thread seem to be reflexively praising everything about this show and get strangely mad at even a little criticism.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

TV and movies have far less character depth than books, generally speaking.

Um, what?

This thread is revealing all sorts of odd opinions goons have.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

tweet my meat posted:

You must have autism if you do not agree with my opinions and prefer books to the clearly superior televison format. There's simply no other explanation for someone not sharing my objectively correct opinions.

This is so strange. I thought I was implying that each form of media has pros and cons, and making a blanket statement about books being better didn't make much sense. But apparently I was the person saying one is inherently superior all along?

Die Sexmonster! posted:

That's not a controversial opinion. Books let you get inside the character's head much more easily.

Character depth and literally reading a character's thoughts aren't the same thing. There are other ways to establish character depth, and, shockingly, some are even unique to a visual format!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

tweet my meat posted:

I was referring to Precision's post equating not liking the way television handles characterization to a learning disability there at the end.

Oh. My bad.

TomViolence posted:

Y'all need to chill the gently caress out itt and stop interpreting everything as personal attacks.

Yeah... sorry about that.

• Locked thread