Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Kanine posted:

also my headcanon is that the handmaids tale is in the same universe with children of men, albeit slightly earlier maybe

I was just thinking the same thing. Like, as the UK's turning into the locked down liberal terror management state we see in Children of Men the US goes full ISIS with American Characteristics. The two of them really do dovetail spookily well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ9J-dxEgY4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Theocratic states practicing mass rape and chattel slavery are not rational actors and their rationale for their abuse isn't solely based on pragmatic considerations like actually reliably producing live babies. That poo poo's jsut an excuse. Many countries in the global south already have terrifying rates of infant mortality, a global infertility pandemic would drop live births even further than in the developed world, so yeah Mexico wants to make babies. Gilead's willing to trade away its one useful resource because whatever propaganda bullshit they spout about their agricultural miracle, their economy's likely on the skids due to keeping half their labour pool in domestic servitude and alienating all potential trade partners by being cargo cult christian ISIS.

EDIT:

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

In some of the flashback scenes there are little pieces that hint to what is going on. The most jarring for me was the empty carnival grounds (though it was hard to see because nearly all the shots were closeups).

I wish they'd pull the camera back a bit more and let the story tell itself environmentally for that proper Children of Men vibe, but maybe they can't because they need all the juicy closeup shots of people's faces while they're experiencing soul-crushing grief and hardship.

EDIT II:
The crane execution was brutally anxiety provoking and horrific, all the scenes like that where they do the Cuaron-style diegetic camera are dynamite.

TomViolence fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 18, 2017

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

The bits where the sex is sexy are the bits where I tune out. Maybe it's meant to be for contrast or something but it bugs the gently caress out of me in the context of the show, like it's reaching for some sort of 50 shades style appeal.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

It's just jarring to me, I didn't say it didn't fit and yes, it is entirely on me.

EDIT: Like, sure I can see having good, non-exploitative sex as being a way to escape or resist or whatever, but in the context of a show as disturbing as this the horrible abuse that bookends it renders even the non-exploitative sex disturbing in its presentation.

TomViolence fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 20, 2017

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

A better idea: Chill out.

Different viewers will inevitably have a different reaction to th content of the show and how it's presented. If the skinemax-lite presentation of the sex scenes doesn't feel tonally jarring to you big whoop, it doesn't mean that people who do find it dissonant are mentally unhealthy.

In fact, the disjunct might even be intentional on the part of the showrunners, to create that sense of dissonance. Actually discussing it like an adult instead of being weirdly defensive is probably a better tack to take.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

I dunno if suffering constant trauma and abuse particularly ignites a person's sex drive, I expect it does the opposite. Particularly since, while the day to day abuse June suffers might have become banal through its sheer repetitive drudgery, things just lately have escalated to become even more stressful.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

The slowmo bits with the downbeat pop song cover pre-year-zero fell exceptionally flat, especially when contrasted against some of the stronger, better-composed scenes. Also it's a shame the soundtrack seems to have got a bit more generic and orchestral when in the first few episodes there was a brilliantly disquieting ambient synth drone horror movie score they seem to have altogether discarded. A bit weird and uneven like that, but maybe I'm misreading things and there's authorial intent behind it. The quality of the show is still pretty stellar overall.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Comparing written texts to visual media is always gonna be an apples and oranges comparison, just look at how vastly different any book is from even the most faithful film or tv adaptation.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Y'all need to chill the gently caress out itt and stop interpreting everything as personal attacks.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

I really love the use of colour in this show. It's got a really dark and austere palette that chimes perfectly with its themes and subject matter and manages to use it to best effect without ending up with the grimy, washed out quality so many movies these days end up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

A racist society can be integrated and still be racist. The USA remains a white supremacist society in many respects, we can imagine Gilead as being a similar deal but more so.

• Locked thread