Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i do not like the changes they've made from the book (it's one of my all time favorites) especially straight up telling you her name. i liked figuring it out on a reread. the regime's worse in the book, they've neutered the white supremacy angle which whitewashes (heh) the fact that the "moral majority" irl got into politics not because of abortion etc but because the federal government forced them to integrate their universities or lose federal funding.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it takes place in cambridge, which is next to boston. boston has a population of 500k, cambridge is around 100k.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it isn't, but that is where the book takes place. then again, we here in mass had blue laws until fairly recently. also "banned in boston" was once a thing. my town voted for trump btw and i'm in the greater boston area.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

precision posted:

e: you know just once we could have a thread without devolving into the argument of tactical realism

while i agree, it's also a problem with the show showing more of the past. there are flashbacks in the book but they're spread way out and focus more specifically on offred's life (and she wasn't a protester in the book).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Le Saboteur posted:

If I recall correctly the Sons of Jacob hold the entire continental United States. Except Alaska where the remnants of the US Government escaped to and operate from. Also possibly Hawaii is not under their control I think.

they don't. gilead is confined to some part of new england from what offred knows and if i'm remembering correctly the historical meeting at the end.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you aren't to assume that, the only world you "know" is the part of cambridge offred inhabits and perhaps camps and the place they send unnecessary women to work and die at.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it is interesting that there was criticism of the book on release saying it was hyperbolic and amounting to "it can't happen here" but she was proved right in the end. but the book is an exploration on how such a society negatively affects not only the direct victims like offred, minorities, and other women but also negatively affects the ruling class such as serena joy being treated as less than a person despite being instrumental in the takeover and even commander fred who yearns for an emotional and physical connection beyond just mechnical loving for procreation. not to mention the grunts who don't have normal "access" to women that they would in a free society. it's why reading the reviews from the time the book was released was so baffling to me, the book is actually nuanced in how it deals with the characters being affected by such a society. how gilead came to be in the nitty gritty details (as opposed to just a general "this can happen here") is probably not even a tertiary concern of the work.

i honestly can't think of any dystopia in fiction that's actually realistic in a "tactical realism" sense.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 30, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

in the book they don't tell you it's cambridge, mass. you'd only figure it out being a local and recognizing where she goes shopping and where people are hanged.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i dunno man i almost cried during the strange fruit sequence in birth of a nation, and i'm a white dude. i'm also not a woman and could empathize fully with offred when reading the book.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Spacebump posted:

Can everyone that read the books put things in the books that haven't been covered in the show in spoilers please? Randomly posting the book's epilogue unspoiled is ridiculous. I understand people that read the book are trying to be helpful by giving some context but I would really prefer potential spoilers from the book not be left unspoiled. Isn't that the basic policy with game of thrones threads?

the book is literally as old as i am so nah. you also should've read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nah it's an important book and i would assume anyone interested in the show would have read it.

• Locked thread